Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Couple issues (smoking, no power and shaking at stops)

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740i

Couple issues (smoking, no power and shaking at stops)

So recently I purchased a 2001 740i and first two months no issues, but anytime I did WOT it would have no guts when accelerating then CEL would flash. When I come to stop if would be shaking and stuttering, but once I turn the car off and back on its like it never happened. Thats one issue, second issue is car is smoking when turned on and going through several quarts a week of oil. Noticed oil in the spark plugs area so changed the valve covers and still smoking, what else would be causing this issue?

My Cars
    2001 750il Chrome line
    Get a laptop set up with INPA and a 20pin connector, you needs some codes and live data. As for the smoking start with the OSV, meeknet is the first place to go when you have a problem.
    01' 750il Chromeline
    95 M3 LS swapped
    07 M5 Manual
    06' M5, Spartan wheels and a 507hp V10
    00' 740il Dinan, CAI, Romulus exhaust, Stage 5 engine and transmission tune, 750 brakes, camber plates, strut tower brace. Sold
    00' 323i wagon for daughter
    03' 525i wagon for the wife, sold
    98' 740i for the daughter, wrecked
    92' 525i with over 200k, wrecked
    02' R1200 CLC, hit by a bus and broken in half. That one made the news!
    It's like herpes there is no cure but if treated properly you can live with it for the rest of your life

My Cars
    2001 740il
    Sounds like the pcv system has failed.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740i
    I dont have a laptop set with the INPA but I will need to get that done then this week to give more information since I have had codes ran before and it was for several misfires due to spark plugs being fouled up in oil. So need to see if that changed.

- - - Updated - - -

Sundaycruzer is the PCV the same as the OSV or are they different? I know the OSV is the one located in the rear of the manifold correct?

My Cars
    E30 E38 E46 E85 F150 GTI
    PCV/CCV is located at the back of the intake manifold. OSV is located behind the timing chain.

Sounds like misfires, possibly oil fouled like you say related to drinking all that oil.
    2000 740i Sport | 2004 330xi | 1988 325i Vert | 2003 Z4 2.5 | 1995 Ford F150 | 2018 GTI

My Cars
    2001 740il
    Sundaycruzer is the PCV the same as the OSV or are they different? I know the OSV is the one located in the rear of the manifold correct?[/QUOTE]

Yup osv a unfortunately you probably have a bad oil separator too. But do the osv first. Some people do it in car I highly recommend taking intake off and cleaning oil out of it, that’s up to you. I would also pull the left hand valve cover (drivers side in us)and see if the oil separator has broken hose. If it is, ocv won’t fix your problem. Had this problem before.

My Cars
    99 840ci Sport Indv
    That doesn't sound like a crankcase ventilation problem - but it sounds exactly like blocked cats - more info here:

https://www.meeknet.co.uk/e31/E31_84...l_Throttle.htm
    Timm..2007 E64 650i Individual Sport..1999 E31 840ci Individual Sport..ex owner of 2000 E38 740..1999 E38 740i V8 M62..1998 E38 735i V8..1993 E32 730i V8..1988 E28 518i

My BMW Repair YouTube Channel
    My Current 840ci Sport Individual
    My Current 650ci Sport Individual
    My E31 Repair and Information Website
    My E38 Repair and Information Website
    My E63/E64 Repair and Information Website

Chase - Heroes to a generation

My Cars
    E30 E38 E46 E85 F150 GTI
    PCV is the easier one, located at the back of the intate. OSV is behind the timing chain, much more difficult. but Sundaycruzer is correct about what could be wrong. In all honesty the OSV probably has the cracked hose and is probably all gummed up anyway. I also had this problem. Replacing everything along with the timing chain guide job fixed it up.

http://www.meeknet.co.uk/E31/BMW_M60...entilation.htm

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Timm View Post
    That doesn't sound like a crankcase ventilation problem - but it sounds exactly like blocked cats - more info here:

https://www.meeknet.co.uk/e31/E31_84...l_Throttle.htm
    Could an oil burning issue lead to clogged cats?
    2000 740i Sport | 2004 330xi | 1988 325i Vert | 2003 Z4 2.5 | 1995 Ford F150 | 2018 GTI

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740i
    Where On the driver side would I see if the hose is cracked? Damn I wish I knew this before when I had the valve cover off. I'm going to get my codes read this afternoon to get more info on what is going on to see if it can lead me towards what is wrong with the acceleration. From what I have been reading the loss of power and symptoms can be due to clogged cats, so im wondering if the large amount of oil being burned can be the reason to the clogged cats.

So would it be wise to order a new PCV and see if that fixes it hold off until I pull the valve cover off?

My Cars
    2001 740il
    Quote Originally Posted by badabing86 View Post
    Where On the driver side would I see if the hose is cracked? Damn I wish I knew this before when I had the valve cover off. I'm going to get my codes read this afternoon to get more info on what is going on to see if it can lead me towards what is wrong with the acceleration. From what I have been reading the loss of power and symptoms can be due to clogged cats, so im wondering if the large amount of oil being burned can be the reason to the clogged cats.

So would it be wise to order a new PCV and see if that fixes it hold off until I pull the valve cover off?
    There’s plenty of threads on oil separator. It’s behind the upper timing guide. Google it
    Also listen to timm he’s always the first person to listen too. But if it’s smoking at start up that’s one issue I think you might have two issues. Need codes to verify

My Cars
    99 840ci Sport Indv
    I've changed my opinion - it's cats AND the crankcase ventilation system
    Timm..2007 E64 650i Individual Sport..1999 E31 840ci Individual Sport..ex owner of 2000 E38 740..1999 E38 740i V8 M62..1998 E38 735i V8..1993 E32 730i V8..1988 E28 518i

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740i
    Codes I got from clearing codes and running again are :
    P0011
    P0211
    P1341
    P1353
    P1357

Any ideas on next plan of attack ?
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    99 840ci Sport Indv
    Get a garage to do a back-pressure test at the O2 sensor insertion points - I am convinced you have a blocked catalytic converter.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740i
    I had a question in regards to this issue for a possible work around for the moment. If this is a Catalytic issue, can I simply do a cat delete for the time being till I have the ability to purchase new cats? Or will there be issues that will happen from that?

My Cars
    2001 750il Chrome line
    Yes, you will get codes but a few guys have done a cat delete or just busted the material out. Make sure to test and confirm the problem first.
    01' 750il Chromeline
    95 M3 LS swapped
    07 M5 Manual
    06' M5, Spartan wheels and a 507hp V10
    00' 740il Dinan, CAI, Romulus exhaust, Stage 5 engine and transmission tune, 750 brakes, camber plates, strut tower brace. Sold
    00' 323i wagon for daughter
    03' 525i wagon for the wife, sold
    98' 740i for the daughter, wrecked
    92' 525i with over 200k, wrecked
    02' R1200 CLC, hit by a bus and broken in half. That one made the news!
    It's like herpes there is no cure but if treated properly you can live with it for the rest of your life

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740iL
    Couple of things to clear up.

CCV/PCV is the plate bolted to the back of the intake. All it really does is limit the vacuum to a set amount for sucking the oil/air mix through the OSV so it can do it's job.

The "pipe" running along the right side (facing the engine) is UNDER the intake. One end is connected to the bottom of the CCV at the back of the intake, the other end goes into a fitting at the front of the engine. With a flashlight and some contorting you can see both ends. I found in my "Smoking on startup saga" thread the tub CAN be removed with the intake and valve covers on. But you have to remove the throttle body and CCV to get it out. The front side has the rubber piece that fails and causes issues. Just wasn't my issue .

OSV is the Oil Separator Valve that's behind the timing chain covers. It's a HUGE project to get to. And there are TONS of WYIT (While Your In There) things that need done if doing it. Timing chains, timing chain guides, tensioners, gaskets and hoses galore! It's BIG project, and isn't cheap!

I vote with Timm, worth looking into your cats. I've had clogged cats burn valves on a Toyota Van I used to own. After replacing the valves 2x and even replacing the engine once, I finally figured it out after the 3rd burnt valve. I was done with it by then, and it went to the salvage yard. All due to a clogged cat. Just FYI. I always suggest replacing them if there is any question.

Now to your last question. You CAN bypass them. I honestly don't know how much the computer cares on these. Some cars will run funky with no cats unless you can program the computer to not care anymore, and adjust trims accordingly. Old school logic tells us cat deletes will always improve performance. But back then cats were nothing really but restrictions on the exhaust. Modern cars can take that back pressure into consideration, I've seen performance LOSS and the computers go crazy about the cat missing. Mostly just an annoying light, and codes about the cats not doing their job, but I hate SES/CEL lights being on. They are your first indication something isn't right, and it's easy to miss something important. Take my Toyota van. I always had a CEL about misfires (cause burnt valves). I stopped checking it, cause it was always on. It finally started throwing codes about an overheating cat, but I never knew till it was to late. If I had read the codes I would have known the cats were bad and replaced them. Might still have that van today. I really liked it.

My personal suggestion is to never do cat deletes on modern cars if your still using the stock computers. Stand alone systems are a whole different story.
    Last edited by 951Dreams; 11-30-2018 at 11:31 AM.
    2001 740iL "Silver Beauty"
    1986 Porsche 951 "Silver Bullet"
    1987 Porsche 944 NA Auto (rebuilding for my son's first car)
    https://home.doonze.net/filepage.php <- BMW/Porsche doc's and files, work in progress

My Cars
    2001 740il
    Quote Originally Posted by 951Dreams View Post

CCV/PCV is the plate bolted to the back of the intake. All it really does is limit the vacuum to a set amount for sucking the oil/air mix through the OSV so it can do it's job.

The "pipe" running along the right side (facing the engine) is UNDER the intake. One end is connected to the bottom of the CCV at the back of the intake, the other end goes into a fitting at the front of the engine. With a flashlight and some contorting you can see both ends. I found in my "Smoking on startup saga" thread the tub CAN be removed with the intake and valve covers on. But you have to remove the throttle body and CCV to get it out. The front side has the rubber piece that fails and causes issues. Just wasn't my issue .

OSV is the Oil Separator Valve that's behind the timing chain covers. It's a HUGE project to get to. And there are TONS of WYIT (While Your In There) things that need done if doing it. Timing chains, timing change guides, tensioners, gaskets and hoses galore! It's BIG project, and isn't cheap!

I vote with Timm, worth looking into your cats. I've had clogged cats burn valves on a Toyota Van I used to own. After replacing the valves 2x and even replacing the engine once, I finally figured it out after the 3rd burnt valve. I was done with it by then, and it went to the salvage yard. All due to a clogged cat. Just FYI. I always suggest replacing them if there is any question.

Now to your last question. You CAN bypass them. I honestly don't know how much the computer cares on these. Some cars will run funky with no cats unless you can program the computer to not care anymore, and adjust trims accordingly. Old school logic tells us cat deletes will always improve performance. But back then cats were nothing really but restrictions on the exhaust. Modern cars can take that back pressure into consideration, I've seen performance LOSS and the computers go crazy about the cat missing. Mostly just an annoying light, and codes about the cats not doing their job, but I hate SES/CEL lights being on. They are your first indication something isn't right, and it's easy to miss something important. Take my Toyota van. I always had a CEL about misfires (cause burnt valves). I stopped checking it, cause it was always on. It finally started throwing codes about an overheating cat, but I never knew till it was to late. If I had read the codes I would have known the cats were bad and replaced them. Might still have that van today. I really liked it.

My personal suggestion is to never do cat deletes on modern cars if your still using the stock computers. Stand alone systems are a whole different story.
    My osv was my start up smoking problem and have found the same with 2 other cars. If you replace your cats then throw more oil through the cats it will end in the same result. Pugged cats. One e39 had same symptoms as op and after replacing osv and running car symptoms of plugged cat were gone. FWI

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740i
    I ordered the CCV/PCV so I can replace that since I really want to stop blowing smoke out the ass on start up and at lights. Cause seriously its not like a small puff its like a cloud of smoke. If it continues to smoke I will then look into the "pipe" you suggested to look at since I know this would be the easiest to look afterwards. If that needs to replacing or is fine then I believe its the OSV and would hate to go through that process since it would be a pain in the ass but would just take care of everything while Im in there. Fingers crossed.

I was only looking to do the CAT delete after fixing the oil smoke issue has been resolved and the cat delete would be Temporary thats why I was wondering if it would be that detrimental of a thing to do. Holidays coming got me tight on cash but I need my car working again.

Appreciate all the information that you gave me, will give me somewhere to start and figure out how to get this fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by 951Dreams View Post

OSV is the Oil Separator Valve that's behind the timing chain covers. It's a HUGE project to get to. And there are TONS of WYIT (While Your In There) things that need done if doing it. Timing chains, timing chain guides, tensioners, gaskets and hoses galore! It's BIG project, and isn't cheap!

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740iL
    Read through my "Smoking at start up saga" thread. I was having the same issue as you. I now have zero smoke on startup. Not even a puff. Course my current setup is not EPA compliant. And it caused some already bad oil leaks to go super nova. But if you want to go that route if the CCV doesn't fix it let me know. I can give you some pointers.

#1 thing to do when doing the CCV. Replace the allen head bolts with normal hex heads. Trust me. Don't forget.
    2001 740iL "Silver Beauty"
    1986 Porsche 951 "Silver Bullet"
    1987 Porsche 944 NA Auto (rebuilding for my son's first car)
    https://home.doonze.net/filepage.php <- BMW/Porsche doc's and files, work in progress

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740i
    Ok so quick update, CCV was replaced and the smoking has stopped. Took a little bit for the residual stuff to pass but seems to be fine. The main issue I want to look at is the fact I have two codes P0011 and P0021 that are advanced timing. I am hearing like 300 different things it can be, CPS, Timing Chain Tensioner, or that the chain skipped a tooth, lastly timing guides need to be replaced. So any one have some ideas on where to start to look at to see what I can start to eliminate.

My Cars
    2001 740il
    Quote Originally Posted by badabing86 View Post
    Ok so quick update, CCV was replaced and the smoking has stopped. Took a little bit for the residual stuff to pass but seems to be fine. The main issue I want to look at is the fact I have two codes P0011 and P0021 that are advanced timing. I am hearing like 300 different things it can be, CPS, Timing Chain Tensioner, or that the chain skipped a tooth, lastly timing guides need to be replaced. So any one have some ideas on where to start to look at to see what I can start to eliminate.
    Congratulations!! Your one of the lucky ones (as far as smoking) I think your best option for those codes would be to replace or clean your vanos solenoid filters. You will need the socket but it was recommended to me when I had similar codes also replace tensioner.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740i
    Yeah I saw some come out and was like nooooo. Then remembered that it would have some left to clear out. Ran it for a bit no smoke, turned off then on , no more smoke. Tested this morning No smoke.
    Ok so the vanos solenoid filter is what and where ? lol Ill replace the tensioner too since that seems like the cheapest fix and then go from there.

My Cars
    E30 E38 E46 E85 F150 GTI
    I think he means the check valves.

Don't get too excited about the not smoking. Give it several days before you go popping any champagne corks.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740i
    Quote Originally Posted by clarkitect View Post
    I think he means the check valves.

Don't get too excited about the not smoking. Give it several days before you go popping any champagne corks.
    Im not entirely sure what that would consist of, I was able to see what it would take to get the Vanos solenoids out and cleaned with some degreaser. I can certainly do that. But Im guessing take the heads off and check the valves for any damage?

Lol damn well I wont hold my breath just keep my fingers crossed it stays that way.

My Cars
    E30 E38 E46 E85 F150 GTI
    No, check valves located behind vanos solenoids. Pretty simple to change out.

Hopefully you fixed the smoking issue. Time will tell.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast