Thread: Starter replace - Wire Harness removal needed or not?

My Cars
    1997 328i c M trim

Starter replace - Wire Harness removal needed or not?

So I have seen quite a few posts that indicate the wire tray ( wire harness) near the windshield should be removed to get the intake manifold off.
    I venture to guess it is just difficult to get at some of the bolts on the manifold ?
    Since there is a lot of "bitching" about starter replacement I would like to hear comment on the harness "move out of the way" or not.

Piss me off- It is just intermittent Bendix on my starter. I have had others fail like this (on other cars) in the past.
    Several of those just needed a cleaning of the Bendix/solenoid. Since this is such a bitch i went for a new starter.

engine wire harness2.png
    Have the manifold gasket and i know the hoses are all good (July motor swap).
    I guess about 4 hours to do the swap.
    Thanks
    Tim
    This car is AWESOME !!!

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    I think it’s easier with the intake off. I do not remove the wire harness tray but that would give more access to the 7th nut. You can do the job from underneath, without removing the intake, but it can end up being more work unless everything goes perfectly.
    Last edited by pbonsalb; 11-19-2018 at 12:29 PM.

My Cars
    1997 328i c M trim
    Quote Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
    I think it’s easier with the intake off. I do not remove the wire harness tray but that would give mire access to the 7th nut. You can do the job from underneath, without removing the intake, but it can end up being more work unless everything goes perfectly.
    I have an automatic so underneath i think is a non starter- ( pun intended) .
    This car is AWESOME !!!

My Cars
    1997 328i
    Definitely unbolt it and remove the metal shield above it. I hope you have a wrench that fits the starter bolts from above.
    Attn. NEWBIES: Use the search feature, 98% has already been discussed.
    Click the search button, select "search single content type", select the "e36 sub forum" specifically, try the "search titles" then try the "search entire posts".

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacksone30 View Post
    I have an automatic so underneath i think is a non starter- ( pun intended) .
    I have not worked on an auto E36 but am not sure why it would prevent doing this job from underneath if you wanted to try it. I assume the starter is in the same place and has 2 bolts and a dowel holding it into the trans.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 328i
    The auto transmissions in these cars are absurdly huge. Its a GM transmission and its literally 2-3 times the size of the manual getrag or ZF. Much easier to access everything from above. Remove the windshield cowl drain and the intake manifold and your wrists and fingers will thank you.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1995 BMW 328
    It is just intermittent Bendix on my starter.
    No, it's never going to be on a starter without a Bendix. It is a pre-engaged type starter.
    No warranty of any kind implied or given and no liability for any loss, damage or injury, no matter how incurred accepted.

My Cars
    1997 328i c M trim
    Quote Originally Posted by XnWarden View Post
    The auto transmissions in these cars are absurdly huge. Its a GM transmission and its literally 2-3 times the size of the manual getrag or ZF. Much easier to access everything from above. Remove the windshield cowl drain and the intake manifold and your wrists and fingers will thank you.

And I just replaced the cowl ! And them wipers are a pain in the ass since I dont have a small puller to get them off.
    Maybe I'll just torture my fingers .

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    This car is AWESOME !!!

My Cars
    1997 328i c M trim
    Quote Originally Posted by E36328Coupe View Post
    No, it's never going to be on a starter without a Bendix. It is a pre-engaged type starter.
    Well something is intermittent on the solenoid

This car is AWESOME !!!

My Cars
    1995 BMW 328
    Well something is intermittent on the solenoid

Or connections loose, or the grease on the solenoid slug just needs cleaning as old and think and no spend at all.

Still can't have a Bendix where non exists. fundamentally different.
    No warranty of any kind implied or given and no liability for any loss, damage or injury, no matter how incurred accepted.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 328i
    For what its worth I pulled a starter off of an auto car and it looked very similar to a manual starter. The auto tranny still has a flexplate so the auto starter still has a bendix to spin it.

My Cars
    1995 BMW 328
    Quote Originally Posted by XnWarden View Post
    For what its worth I pulled a starter off of an auto car and it looked very similar to a manual starter. The auto tranny still has a flexplate so the auto starter still has a bendix to spin it.

Nope. Same part numbers. Same pre-engaged. Bendix has nothing to do with drive plate. Drive plate still has a ring gear.
    Last edited by E36328Coupe; 11-24-2018 at 04:10 PM.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by E36328Coupe View Post
    Nope. Same part numbers. Same pre-engaged. Bendix has nothing to do with drive plate. Drive plate still has a ring gear.
    Thanks for correcting my misinformation

My Cars
    1997 328i c M trim
    Put in the new starter . It is a job I never want to do again. Took me like 12 hours total, 4 of which were getting the vac lines back to where they should be since starting it gave a rough idle. The e12 I borrowed from my indy shop did the trick breaking the bolts loose .

If I did it again it would be less than 6 hours .

Puzzled the VAC LINE from the fuel filter - dont know where to put it. Forgot from July when I swapped in the new motor. I will keep searching.

This car is AWESOME !!!

My Cars
    1997 328i
    The vacuum line at the filter goes from the fuel pressure regulator to the bottom of the manifold next to the vacuum line for the purge valve.
    Attn. NEWBIES: Use the search feature, 98% has already been discussed.
    Click the search button, select "search single content type", select the "e36 sub forum" specifically, try the "search titles" then try the "search entire posts".

My Cars
    1997 328i c M trim
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric93se View Post
    The vacuum line at the filter goes from the fuel pressure regulator to the bottom of the manifold next to the vacuum line for the purge valve.
    Yes. The one from the fuel filter - where does that one go ?

I had the fuel filter one on the manifold by mistake . Made it run rough. Three lines and only two spots on the manifold.

I would look in the Bently but I lent it out .
    Any clue ?

This car is AWESOME !!!

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    As someone else posted, it goes to the fuel pressure regulator not the filter, but they are next to each other. The manifold connection is under the manifold at the plenum end, towards the firewall. If you can find a picture of a manifold that might help since it’s hard to see and might take a while to feel.