Thread: Question about angel eyes and triggering the LCM...

My Cars
    E38 M-Sport & Jaguar XK

Question about angel eyes and triggering the LCM...

It seems to me that the LCM ought to be sensitive to voltage and resistance changes on various circuits. I say this because when I bought my E38, someone had spliced the angel eyes into the side marker units and it triggered an error code on the dash.

Does what I said above make sense? If this is the case, does it mean that if I want to hook the angel eyes back up, I will be running error codes? Is there a setup that will avoid error codes?

Much thanks in advance for any guidance provided.

My Cars
    2003 540s, 2000 740s
    When I wired my angel eyes up, I used an empty slot in the fuse box to provide switched power. I didn't use any wire to or from the LCM.
    No error codes.
    I actually used a wire spade and bent the blade just a tad to ensure a snug fit in the empty slot (just the powered side) in the fuse box for the power to the angel eyes.
    <== Steptronic Sealbeach740
    2000 740i sport: 74k Green/Tan chrome MPars, clear corners, quad brake lights, AIC hi-beams, Hoen fogs, 16x9 screen, MKIV, TFT LCD screen in back, license plate backup camera with "on demand" switch, iPod audio/video (CDC/iPod audio switching, iPod video on 16x9 screen), Basslink, gauge rings, ///M pedals, switched steptronic +/- shifting mode, E46 paddle shifter steering wheel, Dinan engine & tranny software upgrade, DDEs controlled via Euro fog light switch, painted calipers with "BMW" lettering, windows up/sunroof close via remote.

2003 540i sport: 81k, Sterling grey/grey, MKIV Nav, PDC & CWP - Added license plate backup camera with "on demand" switch, paddle shift steering wheel, windows up/sunroof close via remote, Akebono's, painted calipers with "BMW" lettering, quad brake lights, iPod audio via AUX mode/video via 16x9 screen, BMW TV tuner, ///M pedals & gauge rings.

My Cars
    99 840ci Sport Indv
    If you wire the Angel Eyes to the tiddly sidelight socket AND leave the bulb fitted then you will get no errors - here's how it is done:

https://www.meeknet.co.uk/E38/Angel/Index.htm
    Timm..2007 E64 650i Individual Sport..1999 E31 840ci Individual Sport..ex owner of 2000 E38 740..1999 E38 740i V8 M62..1998 E38 735i V8..1993 E32 730i V8..1988 E28 518i

My BMW Repair YouTube Channel
    My Current 840ci Sport Individual
    My Current 650ci Sport Individual
    My E31 Repair and Information Website
    My E38 Repair and Information Website
    My E63/E64 Repair and Information Website

Chase - Heroes to a generation

My Cars
    2001 740il
    If you have alh there’s an ignition wire in the smaller plug that’s what I used for my drls.

My Cars
    98 740il, 00 540i,04 ZHP
    You should have a relay with the angel eyes. The side marker light should be powering the relay to close and pull power from elsewhere (like the fuse box). The kits usually come with a relay with two triggers: one that gets triggered by the interior lights so the AE's turn on and fade out with the interior lights, and a second trigger you can wire to either the ignition so they are on when the car is on or to the parking lights so they are on when the parking lights are on.

I put a switch in that lets me choose between ignition, parking lights, or off. So those three go into the switch, which then goes to the trigger at the relay. Then the other trigger is wired to an interior light in my car.

Hopefully that makes sense. Like Timm said, as long as all other bulbs are in place, there should be no errors.
    '98 740il | 9/97 build | schwarz 2 | sandbeige | 5AT | 270k
    '04 330i ZHP sedan | Mystic blue | Alcantara | 6MT | 120k
    '00 540i sport | Titanium silver | Black | 5AT | 152k
    '85 Mustang GT convertible | Medium charcoal metallic | Gray | 5MT | 216k | one owner, all original

mods: m-pars | Bilsteins & B&G springs | ValentineOne | StealthOne
    retrofits: full nav | MKIV | bluetooth TCU | BM53 w/ AUX input | video module w/ AV input & backup cam | oem sirius xm | xenon | shades | PDC | rain sensor | BMW DWS TPMS | lighted door handles | front seat heaters | heated steering wheel | euro rear fog lights | ski pass | folding mirrors

My Cars
    E38 M-Sport & Jaguar XK
    Thanks all. I need to read this a couple of times to fully understand it. I am in no way an electrician or mechanic. I may be back with questions.

I should note that the car came with angel eyes and I snipped them off their power supply. Why? The darn error codes kept coming up the way they were spliced in by the PO. I seem to have the electronics back to normal and want to plan attaching the AEs again.
    Last edited by SpeedyE38; 11-20-2018 at 11:07 PM.