Thread: fault code P0411 - hose clamp removal

My Cars
    2004 325i

fault code P0411 - hose clamp removal

My SEL came on about two weeks ago. I feel some loss of power and my gas mileage dropped probably 30%.

The codes were

P3242

P1411

P0174

Then a few days ago I took my car to the dealership for the airbag recall replacement. I asked them to diagnose the problem. The notes are:

Secondary Air Volume Fault;
    Tested Secondary air pump, relay, and solenoid valve;
    If fault recurs will need diag time to find cracked hose (hose looks like it was recently replace, maybe fault code wasn't cleared?)

They cleared the codes and now I have P0411

So should I assume they narrowed it down to the hoses that they didn't check? I haven't replaced either of those hoses as they noted.

And as I look at the hose and the end that is attached to the MAF - how do I remove / replace the metal clamp?

hose clamp.jpg

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    You engine has vacuum leaks. P0411 tells me that even though the pump is ok there’s a bad hose somewhere in the SAP system. Go to www.realoem.com and enter the last 7 characters of the car’s vehicle identification number. Hit enter and bookmark the page. Scroll down to engine and then scroll down to air pump P vacuum control and then to emission control air pump. There are several areas that can have a leak. The clamp in the picture can be removed by spreading the pinched part at the top. Be advised that the clamp is a single use clamp.

My Cars
    2004 325i
    Thanks for the diagram tip.

About two years ago I snapped the vacuum hose between the valves and it gave me code P1418 so I replaced a small segment of that hose, the replacement is long so I coiled it once with a zip tie. This must be what the tech was referring to when they noted a recent replacement of a hose.

What I feel is exactly similar to when that was broken. And I see the code is also similar. Is there any logic to assuming it's the part of the hose on the other side of the valve that is behind the engine? If it was the same segment of the vacuum hose I assume I'd get the same code as before.

Also - I was just informed about my car being SULEV. I had no idea, so now I'm aware that my 15 year mark is about 5 months away. I've had O2 sensor errors on the car since I've had it at 103K miles. It's now at 137K. Every road trip from S CA to Vegas or northern CA it throws these codes:

P2234 - Powertrain
    1) O2 Sensor Signal Circuit Shorted to Heater Circuit bank2 Sensor1
    P2231
    1) O2 Sensor Signal Circuit Shorted to Heater Circuit bank1 Sensor1

My Cars
    99 M3

fault code P0411 - hose clamp removal

What happens at 15 year marker? I would argue that the time frame is based on build date, as shown on the Id plate on drivers door frame “B” pillar.

So, you are at mileage well in excess of 100K miles, have been getting O2 sensor codes since ~ 100K miles and have not replaced the sensors? These sensors control mixture.
    O2 sensors are said to have 100K mile life.

NTK makes sensors for Bosch, and are significantly less expensive than BMW OE, and less expensive than Bosch.

Use www.realoem.com to determine correct PNs or find a good independent repair shop close to you that understands BMWs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by bluptgm3; 11-19-2018 at 03:24 PM.

My Cars
    2004 325i
    "What happens at 15 year marker?"

pg 36

Manufacturer’s Warranty Coverage:
    – For 15 years or 150,000 miles whichever
    occurs first:
    1. If your vehicle fails a Smog Check inspec-
    tion, all necessary repairs and adjustments
    will be made by BMW NA to ensure that
    your vehicle passes the inspection. This is
    your emission control system PERFOR-
    MANCE WARRANTY.
    2. If any emission-related part on your vehicle
    is defective, the part will be repaired or
    replaced by BMW NA. This is your emission
    control system DEFECTS WARRANTY.

"not replaced the sensors?"
    Nope.

"the time frame is based on build date, as shown on the Id plate on drivers door frame “B” pillar."
    Yes - the build date is April 2004.

My Cars
    2004 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by bluptgm3 View Post
    I would argue that the time frame is based on build date, as shown on the Id plate on drivers door frame “B” pillar.
    The very next paragraph on pg. 36 states it's retail date:
    This warranty begins on the date of first retail sale, or the date the vehicle is first placed in service as a demonstrator or company vehicle, whichever is earlier.
    But I'll have to assume production date, since I don't know the retail date.