RM European Auto Parts

Thread: BMW 320i 2001 possible window regulator issue?

My Cars
    BMW 320i 2001

BMW 320i 2001 possible window regulator issue?

Hi there,

Just last week I purchased a BMW E46 320i 2001 for a reasonable price. It's in lovely condition a nice dark blue colour and only done 55,000 kms so I'm pretty chuffed so far.
    However went out for a drive on the weekend and had all the windows down as it was a lovely afternoon, when trying to put them back up rear left refuses and makes odd noises. Pretty disappointed not like it's a new car so whatever i guess!
    So I have no mechanical experience but I've done a little research and from my understanding I think it's the window regulator. I've made a little video of it so hopefully someone with experience can confirm this.....? https://youtu.be/LsaRYDOa9I8
    I'd like to try and buy the part myself rather than being overcharged by a mechanic but need to make sure I'm buying the right part or parts? European car mechanics can be expensive in New Zealand, maybe I could try and fix it myself, buy a Haynes manual and give it a crack? Or not a good idea for a first time repair attempt?

Thanks in advance

Hensby
    Last edited by Hensby; 11-18-2018 at 09:27 PM.

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    I don't need to watch the video; you have described exactly one of the most common E46 failures. Yes, you need a window regulator.

It's a very easy job, except for the part where you need to remove the vapor barrier without ripping it. This is a sheet of foam rubber/plastic which is held on by a very thick black gooey sealant. You need to use a very sharp knife or razor blade to cut the sealant, without cutting the foam. This is by far the most difficult part of the job.

You need to go to Pelican Parts or Bavarian Autosport , and go to their DIY blogs, and watch a video of this job being done. Again, it is actually very easy.

You'll want a Torx 20 screwdriver or bit, a 1/4" drive ratchet, extension, and 8mm and 10mm sockets. a big flat bladed screwdriver to remove the door panel after unscrewing it, and some masking tape to hold the window up while you change out the regulator. IF the cable is not yet broken, you might just need a pair of wirecutters to cut it.

(Oh, you'll see the name of the company on the regulator is "BROSE". That stands for "Broken Regulators Our Special Enterprise"
    Last edited by bmwdirtracer; 11-19-2018 at 06:16 AM.

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    BROSE! Hahaha!

dworthy is offline Wagon meister :) BMW Tech Expert
    My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    I have used a hair dryer to heat up the "goo" to get the vapor barrier off, and used an knife as well. It makes it easier to put the vapor barrier back when you get done.
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    95 318is Montreal Blue Met (297)/Beige(K1SN) RIP, killed by an Idiot.
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    82 528i euro Saphire Blue Met/Blue Leather RIP
    79 525 euro Green/Green RIP
    79 318 Silver/Black - The first one that got it all started
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    BMW 320i 2001
    Appreciate the tips and information

Just a couple of questions, should I buy the regulator without the motor? It's a bit cheaper and the motor still seems to be working. Or should I just buy the whole thing with the motor included?
    Also is it worth getting 2nd hand ones? New ones seem a little difficult to source locally new but I don't mind shipping from elsewhere if it's worthwhile.

Thanks

Hensby

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    You do not need a motor, just the regulator. I highly recommend AGAINST buying a used E46 regulator. These are some of the most failure prone parts on any BMW. Buy a new one, and, as much as I dislike BROSE for this item, the OEM part is 3 times better than the Chinese aftermarket things, which will even bend during installation, because the metal is as thick as tin foil

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    BMW 320i 2001
    So I bit the bullet and bought the brand new OEM, hopefully the rest of the window regs don't die in the future - Thanks for taking the time really appreciate it. I ended up making a couple of tears on the vapor guard do you reckon a bit of duck tape over the tears will keep it good?

Hensby

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Hensby, glad to know you. I'd probably recommend a @" vinyl tape over the duct tape, because it's better at repelling water. Either way, yeah, I know, it's difficult to avoid ripping that vapor barrier.

Chris

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412