Thread: OVERHEATING! - Replaced headgasket & cooling components already -318ti w/ M52B28 Swap

My Cars
    95 M3, 95 Ti M52, 330ci

OVERHEATING! - Replaced headgasket & cooling components already -318ti w/ M52B28 Swap

So I got this 95 TI with a M52B28 swap (Harness is ODB2, not sure about the rest), overheating issues, seller claimed blown head gasket. Had low compression on 5&6 or is it 1&2 (Back 2 cylinders)

1: Took it home and pulled the head, got it machined, pressure test, decked, cleaned, valves. Full workup & everything checked out.

2: Put it back in the car, replaced thermostat, water pump, thermo housing, all cooling hoses. Replaced stock crank fan with mishimoto electric fan. I also replaced crankcase sensor since it was also bad (Not related to cooling issue but I was getting a code)

3. Buttoned it all back up. Compression was solid across all 6 cylinders (150-160). Added coolant & new oil, bled line 3 times with heater running max and vent open. Still overheating in about 10 minutes @ 800rpm idle.

Community, what should I try next? Am I missing something?
    Last edited by st4t1c; 11-18-2018 at 12:12 AM.

My Cars
    99 M3
    Water pump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    95 M3, 95 Ti M52, 330ci
    Yikes! Sorry for not mentioning earlier (original post has been updated). Water pump was also replaced (Stewart)

My Cars
    1998 328i
    Sounds like it still has air in the system but how are you reading the temp? Did you keep track of how much coolant it took and did you try cracking the bleeder when it was overheating?

My Cars
    1997 328i
    Check the belt is good and the tensioner is working.
    Attn. NEWBIES: Use the search feature, 98% has already been discussed.
    Click the search button, select "search single content type", select the "e36 sub forum" specifically, try the "search titles" then try the "search entire posts".

My Cars
    95 M3, 95 Ti M52, 330ci
    Quote Originally Posted by gdavid View Post
    Sounds like it still has air in the system but how are you reading the temp? Did you keep track of how much coolant it took and did you try cracking the bleeder when it was overheating?
    I'm reading the coolant temp from the obd2 port (Bluetooth app). Does that make sense?

I've poured about 2.5 quarts in. Bleeder valve is currently open when I turn the engine on. I see very small bubbles intermittently. Not sure what zero air looks like though.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

My Cars
    95 M3, 95 Ti M52, 330ci
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric93se View Post
    Check the belt is good and the tensioner is working.
    Water Pump is spinning, tensioner and belt look good.

My Cars
    1998 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by st4t1c View Post
    I'm reading the coolant temp from the obd2 port (Bluetooth app). Does that make sense?
    Yes, I do the same thing.

Jack the front of the car up take the upper radiator hose off at the radiator and pour coolant down the hose until it comes out of the radiator neck. Reconnect the hose and bleed it again with the front end still up.

My Cars
    5/93 E32 730i M30
    Quote Originally Posted by gdavid View Post
    Yes, I do the same thing.

Jack the front of the car up take the upper radiator hose off at the radiator and pour coolant down the hose until it comes out of the radiator neck. Reconnect the hose and bleed it again with the front end still up.
    Maybe I missed it... but is the radiator good ? Are you sure ??

My Cars
    95 M3, 95 Ti M52, 330ci
    Quote Originally Posted by tomquic View Post
    Maybe I missed it... but is the radiator good ? Are you sure ??
    I'm definitely not sure. How can I tell?

My Cars
    5/93 E32 730i M30
    I'm definitely not sure. How can I tell?

If its original I'd say it's due for a replacement. You could try a pressure flush to start. But you have changed almost everything else.. which suggests to me the radiator...

My Cars
    1998 BMW 328i
    To check how bled the system is, remove the expansion tank cap. Squeeze the upper and lower radiator hoses together and watch for the stream of coolant to spray back into the tank thru the bleed port. If it's well bled, it will be a solid stream. If there's lots of air it won't be a solid stream.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

My Cars
    99 M3

I've poured about 2.5 quarts in. Bleeder valve is currently open when I turn the engine on. I see very small bubbles intermittently.
    I hope you added close to 2.5 gallons, as 2.5 quarts is not enough to fill just the radiator.

How do you know it is overheating?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1998 BMW 328ic
    I would say air in the system, followed by radiator possibly NG. When bleeding the system remember to put the heat in the car on full hot so the heater core valves are full open. I didn't find it necessary to
    raise the front of the car up to bleed the system nor did I remove any hoses it just takes some time to fill the system up if the thermostat if closed because it fills up the block through the miniscule hole in
    the thermostat. When filling up you can and should squeeze the radiator hoses to move the fluid through the system. It takes quite a while to bleed the system but eventually you should get no bubbles coming
    up through the bleeder screw. There are a lot of posts on bleeding the system as well as the usual you-tube videos.

Don B