Thread: Intermittent radio issues (DSP + aftermarket iPod cable)

My Cars
    00 528/5 & 02 530i Sport

Intermittent radio issues (DSP + aftermarket iPod cable: USASPEC PA12-BMW DSP)

Hi there -- car is a 2002 530i and the PO installed a iPod cable (used through the CD mode on MID). He also had a set of aftermarket subwoofers in which he removed before he sold the car to me. Lastly, the car is also equipped w/ DSP.

The issues started happening after I replaced my battery which crapped out on me (it was 11 years old!). I'm unsure if it is related.

When I switch to CD mode to listen to music through my phone, I find that the sound will cut after 60-90 seconds, out of the left speakers only and be turned down a little bit on the right. When I use the balance tuner and go all the way to the left, there is no audio coming out.

Additionally, when I turn the volume up, I hear some sort of audible "bouncing" in the speaker shelf -- not physically, but through the speaker itself.

Lastly, when I turn to the radio, sound comes out of all speakers normally... It also happened once where the radio audio would cut out completely... but came back after switching to CD mode, and then back after a few minutes.

Any thoughts on how to troubleshoot? I've searched the forum but only found loosely related threads.
    Last edited by JPR10; 12-01-2018 at 06:08 PM. Reason: title

My Cars
    2000 BMW 528iA
    Probably not your issue but thought I'd throw it out there anyway. I have a Dice iPod adapter connected to the old CD output in the trunk. The wiring runs along the left side of the rear seats and the Dice unit sits under the drivers seat. The iPod cable from the Dice unit then terminates in the center arm rest storage compartment where I connect it to my iPhone. It worked great until about two years ago when I started having similar issues as you, with sound cutting out randomly and a rapid clicking sound coming from the speakers. The scrolling text on the head unit also stopped working.
    I ended up buying the newer version of the Dice unit, thinking this was the problem, but during installation, realized that the connectors were different at the CD output. I decided to try the new iPod cable with the old Dice unit and it worked like new. In my case, the cable that connected the iPod to the Dice unit was bad.
    2000 528i sport
    EMP Stewart water pump
    Dice iPod adapter
    Alpine amplifiers
    MB Quart speakers
    MTX BGE12 subwoofer
    AudioControl EQL equalizer

My Cars
    00 528/5 & 02 530i Sport

Intermittent radio issues (DSP + aftermarket iPod cable)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sal View Post
    Probably not your issue but thought I'd throw it out there anyway. I have a Dice iPod adapter connected to the old CD output in the trunk. The wiring runs along the left side of the rear seats and the Dice unit sits under the drivers seat. The iPod cable from the Dice unit then terminates in the center arm rest storage compartment where I connect it to my iPhone. It worked great until about two years ago when I started having similar issues as you, with sound cutting out randomly and a rapid clicking sound coming from the speakers. The scrolling text on the head unit also stopped working.
    I ended up buying the newer version of the Dice unit, thinking this was the problem, but during installation, realized that the connectors were different at the CD output. I decided to try the new iPod cable with the old Dice unit and it worked like new. In my case, the cable that connected the iPod to the Dice unit was bad.
    Dave, that could be entirely possible... the cable is a really old 20 pin iPod cable that might be going out. I actually use a 20pin to lightning adapter, lol.

I’m not sure what interface my car is using (which PO had installed).

This is what I see in the trunk. Anything look out of norm to you?

And this is the set up I see in the cabin:

I will check under my seat to see if that’s where it is mounted. Any other areas you recommend checking should I not find it there?

EDIT: So I followed the routing down the left side of the car and it looks like the wires run up under the dash... that could be where the bridge is routed — I will test a new cable once I find out where it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by JPR10; 11-19-2018 at 08:27 PM.

My Cars
    2000 BMW 528iA
    I don't recall what the connection in the trunk looks like and I never bothered to take pics. I'll try to remember when I go out later and will take a few pics.
    2000 528i sport
    EMP Stewart water pump
    Dice iPod adapter
    Alpine amplifiers
    MB Quart speakers
    MTX BGE12 subwoofer

My Cars
    2000 BMW 528iA
    I had my stereo system professionally installed a month after I bought the car new. Here's a couple pics, the first showing the general area where the CD changer used to be but is now just the crossovers for the front door speakers. The second pic is the connection from the Dice unit into the old CD cable. Not the best pic but it was already dark.

IMG_0311.jpg

IMG_0312.jpg
    2000 528i sport
    EMP Stewart water pump
    Dice iPod adapter
    Alpine amplifiers
    MB Quart speakers
    MTX BGE12 subwoofer

My Cars
    00 528/5 & 02 530i Sport
    Figured out a little bit more, but still haven't found the solution.

This was mounted under the dash (driver's side).

IMG_1682.jpgIMG_1683.jpg

This is the sound I hear as I change the volume. Most of the noise is coming from the rear speaker shelf.

Lastly, 90% of the time, sound will only come out of the right side. Randomly, all speakers will work but only for a short period of time (maybe 5 mins max).

Any ideas?

NOTE: this only happens when in CD mode (iPod cable), and not when in Radio mode
    Last edited by JPR10; 12-01-2018 at 06:06 PM.

My Cars
    00 528/5 & 02 530i Sport
    Ok quick update as I've tested a few things.
    • Tried new digital audio cable from AMP to interface (no effect)
    • Tried new ipod cable from interface to device (no effect)
    • Discovered that sound cuts out from driver's side only when in CD mode (all speakers work fine when in Radio mode)

Could the problem be the interface itself? Could the DSP amp be going out?

Could this problem be alleviated if I upgrade to a Dynavin or Android-based HU?

My Cars
    01 M5 TiAg/M1SW
    I don't know how to help with your specific problem, but I can help identify the wiring in the trunk.

Quote Originally Posted by JPR10 View Post

Those connections are all for the factory telephone. All USA (North American) E39s came pre-wired for telephones. The little black connector is either for the CD changer or a microphone (or similar) connection. The big black connector goes to the telephone module (aka ULF or TCU or whatever). The black and purple antenna connection (FAKRA connector) goes to the cellular antennas in the car (if equipped). The big blue connector goes to the SES (voice control) module. This connector has a jumper installed if using a newer ULF Bluetooth module.

The rest of those wires are where the iPod connection is spliced in. Good luck...
    Last edited by computiNATEor; 12-30-2018 at 03:26 AM.
    Nate J.

(oOO\ (|||)º(|||) /OOo)
    Titanium Silver/Black Nappa Full 07-18-2001 E39 M5 Heritage (BZ99672). 198,000mi+. Increasing daily. Engine rebuild thread.
    (eŌō\ (||||)º(||||) / ōŌe)
    Alpineweiss III/Black Merino Full 03-26-2007 E60 M5 Manual (CX08265). 157,000+. Dead starter -_-

RIP, Seabiscuit. Black Sapphire/Schwarz 03-11-2003 530iA Sport (CK39185). T-boned 03-01-2017 at 155,861mi.
    Take 2 "Otto" - Toledo Blue/Sandbeige 04-25-2002 530iA Sport (CH98032). Sold 11-10-2017 at 147,743mi.
    Take 3 "Manuel" - Toledo Blue/Grau 10-29-2001 530i5 Sport (CE92358). Sold 02-01-2019 at 217,600mi. I regret that. Build Log
    Reliable P.O.S. - Green/gray 1995 Camry V6 LE. 270k mi. Sold for space.