Thread: Another SMG Failure

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3 Sedan

Another SMG Failure

Hey all,
    So basically I have a 2006 550i w/SMG 153k miles and its doing the "limp mode"(yellow cog) where it says it can only use R,N, and 1,2,3 gears only. If it sits for a few hours it will drive but then either go into N or wont shift out of 1. If i sit in it without it running i can move the shifter between r-n-1 and hear the hydraulics switching the gears and the light in shifter and gauge agree. However, when I go to drive and start driving it, It seems like after it gets a little warm it wont shift, almost like its stuck. If I turn it off in 1st, while its failing it wont start. i can hear it trying to do something,maybe disengage clutch? But the starter wont turn until the car sits and then Im able to put it in N and start it. I looked under hood for "smg relay" but it tested fine, it opened and closed the circuit when 12v added(it worked) although Ive seen some posts saying the relay is the ABS relay and I dont have a "black" one in there but a long brown one. So to recap, it really feels like when it fails its unable to get out of 1st and thus wont start but after sitting it works for a small bit. Oh yeah, I have a BMW/MINI Specific code reader and for the tranny its giving 2 codes 4F6F(Hydraulic pump activation)4FB4(control module internal fault(CPU)) and 4F72(Clutch actuation) The SMG control module never got wet nor were the connection pins corroded not that it means its fine. I am thinking the when the control tells it what to do and it doesnt that might cause the "cpu code" The slave is dry(not leaking), the smg fluid level is good and clean, one more thing, my code reader allows me to see signals being sent via "live data" even when trans is "stuck" when I move the shifter I can see the signals being srnt and it shows correct gearshift position even if dashboard still says "1"
    Thanks in advance.
    ScottieUp

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3 Sedan

Another SMG Failure UPDATE PROBLEM SOLVED!

Quote Originally Posted by skot0306 View Post
    Hey all,
    So basically I have a 2006 550i w/SMG 153k miles and its doing the "limp mode"(yellow cog) where it says it can only use R,N, and 1,2,3 gears only. If it sits for a few hours it will drive but then either go into N or wont shift out of 1. If i sit in it without it running i can move the shifter between r-n-1 and hear the hydraulics switching the gears and the light in shifter and gauge agree. However, when I go to drive and start driving it, It seems like after it gets a little warm it wont shift, almost like its stuck. If I turn it off in 1st, while its failing it wont start. i can hear it trying to do something,maybe disengage clutch? But the starter wont turn until the car sits and then Im able to put it in N and start it. I looked under hood for "smg relay" but it tested fine, it opened and closed the circuit when 12v added(it worked) although Ive seen some posts saying the relay is the ABS relay and I dont have a "black" one in there but a long brown one. So to recap, it really feels like when it fails its unable to get out of 1st and thus wont start but after sitting it works for a small bit. Oh yeah, I have a BMW/MINI Specific code reader and for the tranny its giving 2 codes 4F6F(Hydraulic pump activation)4FB4(control module internal fault(CPU)) and 4F72(Clutch actuation) The SMG control module never got wet nor were the connection pins corroded not that it means its fine. I am thinking the when the control tells it what to do and it doesnt that might cause the "cpu code" The slave is dry(not leaking), the smg fluid level is good and clean, one more thing, my code reader allows me to see signals being sent via "live data" even when trans is "stuck" when I move the shifter I can see the signals being srnt and it shows correct gearshift position even if dashboard still says "1"
    Thanks in advance.
    ScottieUp
    After rechecking everyrhing including EVERY Electrical connection and relay and module. In the engine bay, in the trunk, and underneath at the tranny I found that 1 or 2 pins on the SMG module had "corrosion" or "tarnish" which led me to clean every place a connector went into a module. Put it all back together, took it on the highway which was already a good sign, and watched happily ass it shifted through up to D6. PHEW! I did the "N paddle reset" just for good measure and drove it for 20 miles. Considering it only made it 1 block with the display warning me i only had R N 123 only then got stuck in neutral and wouldnt go into drive. Then when I shut it off I got it into 1 but then it wouldnt start. Until next morning when it freed up. Glad thats gone. Ive worked professionaly on all cars but specialize in BMW.
    Bye

My Cars
    2004 325xi,2004 545i SMG
    what is the "N paddle reset" can you explain this.
    Level 1 Certified BMW tech.