Thread: New Owner-- Lots of ??

My Cars
    2013 128i Conv.

New Owner-- Lots of ??

Ok i've owned this 2006 330ci convertible about 3 weeks now and now have numerous questions. Hopefully someone here can answer or point me in the right direction.

1. My steering wheel shows telephone hook-up but I have no clue how. I read somewhere there are buttons on the truck lid showing what extras the car has but I have no buttons what so ever. Can I link my cell phone to this car and if so easiest way.
    2. What is the red light on the bottom of the inside rear view mirror ?
    3. I understand there is a wrench in the back seat area for emergency roof closing. Again I have no idea where this wrench is hidden.
    4. I am confused with the "autohead lights"...Can i just leave the switch in the on position and the lights come on automatically or ????
    How difficult would installing Sirius radio be and is it worth the trouble ?
    5. When I lock the car by remote I hear the solenoids lock the doors and the lights blink but isn't the horn supposed to beep once also ?

I love driving this car especially after trading in my Tucson for this.
    2006 330 ci....6 speed convertible

Thank you for any help offered.

BMW.jpg

My Cars
    2002 325Ci Cabriolet
    Find many answers here: https://carmanuals2.com/bmw/330ci-co...s-manual-17358

The trunk liner will have EMBLEMS indicating what options have been pre-wired. Not all E46's have Alarms installed. No alarm installed = No Audible when locking the doors.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by All2kool; 11-17-2018 at 10:22 PM.

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    1. The factory phone system is useless. Your best option is to install a Bluetooth adapter. GROM seems to be the consensus best way to go. Does the car have the navigation sysrem? If not, installing a GROM adapter is very easy.
    2. That’s the clown nose. It blinks when the alarm is in.
    5. If you don’t hear the horn blow when you lock the car then something isn’t enabled.

This is a great forum, but the E46Fanatics forum is dedicated to the E46 chassis.

My Cars
    2002 325Ci Cabriolet
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcoZandrini View Post
    2. That’s the clown nose. It blinks when the alarm is in.
    5. If you don’t hear the horn blow when you lock the car then something isn’t enabled.
    Inaccurate response. The clown nose will blink when you lock the doors whether you have an alarm or not.

My clown nose blinks. There is no audible horn noise or chirp. I have no alarm. Nothing is wrong.
    Last edited by All2kool; 11-18-2018 at 10:38 AM.

My Cars
    2013 128i Conv.
    Ok so I know now I probably have no alarm system or actual phone hook-up. And you say the Grom system is the way to go.
    Any answers to the headlight question as well as the top wrench and sirius radio issues.
    Thank you again

My Cars
    2002 325Ci Cabriolet
    Quote Originally Posted by popps9 View Post
    Ok so I know now I probably have no alarm system or actual phone hook-up. And you say the Grom system is the way to go.
    Any answers to the headlight question as well as the top wrench and sirius radio issues.
    Thank you again
    If you have the emblem on the trunk liner for 'Pre-wired for BMW Cellular Phone', it means the wiring is there but you still need to purchase the phone kit to connect your phone. I seem to recall the wiring is under the center console, should you ever remove it and wonder what that wire that goes nowhere is for.

My Cars
    2000 E46 328i
    Thank you again
    The top wrench should be in the 'toolkit' behind the plastic cover in the back of the trunk lid. Unscrew the plastic screw (by hand) and down drops a tray with a few tools.

Headlights: in 'auto' mode, they switch on and off depending on weather and outside lighting. If you leave them in the 'on' position, they will be always on when the ignition is on. They switch off when you switch off the ignition so no risk of leaving them on draining your battery.

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Hmmmm, the clown nose in my 2001 330Ci blinked only when the alarm was set.

My Cars
    2013 128i Conv.
    Apparently it seems I do not have an alarm...how difficult is it to install the factory one ?...My clown nose, as you call it, does not blink ever from what I see.
    I looked in the truck tool compartment but see no wrench. I was under the impression it was stored under the rear seat, am I wrong ?
    I am still pondering the idea of installing Sirius radio, is it worth the trouble and how hard and expensive would it be ?

My Cars
    2002 325Ci Cabriolet
    Apparently it seems I do not have an alarm...how difficult is it to install the factory one ?...My clown nose, as you call it, does not blink ever from what I see.
    I looked in the truck tool compartment but see no wrench. I was under the impression it was stored under the rear seat, am I wrong ?
    I am still pondering the idea of installing Sirius radio, is it worth the trouble and how hard and expensive would it be ?
    The BMW Alarm requires you buy the kit; I've never installed one so I can't answer on the difficulty. Most owners opt for an aftermarket alarm installed by their local stereo store (Car Toys here). Your clown nose isn't blinking because it isn't coded to do so. Several options for coding your car for a variety of factory options exist; I use PA Soft and a Windows XP laptop. The wrench for the roof is under the flap after you remove the center section for the back seat, provided a PO didn't lose it. Can't answer anything about Sirius but I'd also suggest your local stereo store for aftermarket audio options. On BMW's, you really want to leave the electronics to learned professionals.