Thread: Steering wheel feedback

My Cars
    2003 e85 BMW Z4

Steering wheel feedback

So I have only been driving an e85 for a few months. I had a Mazdaspeed 3, c5 corvette and mustang over the years. I noticed that I get a lot of feedback from the steering wheel and it kind of caught me off guard. I notice it most when I hit a bump or shift in pavement heights while driving at speed. I guess the best way to describe it is to say it’s like driving a big go kart because the steering wheel seems to react to just about every imperfection on the road.

Normal?

My Cars
    2007 BMW Z4 E85 3.0 SI
    The power steering in the Z4 assists the driver without taking away the feeling of the road from between his/her hands. This is even more pronounced when you are driving in SPORTS mode (the higher the speed the less the assistance). Compared to non-German car the Z4 probably provides 1/2 the assistance. If the wheel is balanced and straight in your hands with no severe knocking, slamming (knocking or slamming in absence of road irregularities; any vehicle will slam against potholes) or significant tram tracking then the answer is; YES that's normal!

That being said all Z4 E85 suffer from a mild degree of intermittent tram tracking and mild degree of cogwheel steering wheel rigidity that is more pronounced after prolonged parking in the sun on very HOT days!

- - - Updated - - -
    The following factors affect the amount of power steering response:

- vehicle speed
    - driver steering momentum
    - steering angle
    - steering-angle speed
    - Sport switch (option FDC)
    - system temperature of EPS

You can find more details in the following link about the electronic power steering in Z4 E85

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...ng-eps/XInAvgI
    Last edited by tekoo; 11-17-2018 at 10:29 PM.

My Cars
    2004 Z4, 1700 Nomad MC
    Although my front end suspension was good, I did a complete front suspension refresh (wishbone/lollipops/struts) and did a front alignment afterwards. The car tracking/response had been rock solid previously. After the alignment (BMW technicians) it was like you describe... seemed very sensitive to imperfections in the road. I took it back and they re-aligned it and its back to being rock solid driving with no “urge” to tram. Note: both alignments were within specs for the Z...

Well worth checking your wishbone/lollipop play at the wheels (there are some good posts and YouTube videos on the subject). If there is any play I would have the lollipops replaced...followed by an alignment. If they are solid (no play) I would have an alignment anyway. I would take it to a BMW dealer for the alignment. My Z was aligned with placement of weights simulating a car drivers presence.

FWIW... I have 42K KM on my tires pre/after suspension refresh/alignment with even wear on my staggered set up.... Continental DWS tires...that were on the car when I bought it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2007 BMW Z4 E85 3.0 SI
    +1 on balance + alignment. It dramatically improved my Z4's wheel performance and tram tracking (without any refresh or repairs)! I got my alignment done at Tire's plus and worked really well. You can ask if they would let you sit in the vehicle while they do the alignment (BMW tech probably sits in drivers seat at dealer so they can charge you $150 for ‘driver weight simulation alignment’)!
    Last edited by tekoo; 11-18-2018 at 10:27 PM.

My Cars
    2003 e85 BMW Z4
    I think I’m in the norm then based on what I just read. Thanks for taking the time to post. I like it. Just unexpected

My Cars
    2003 e85 BMW Z4
    Might double check alignment but otherwise I’m feeling solid