Thread: 540it/6 Coding

My Cars
    1995 BMW 525i

540it/6 Coding

I converted my 540it to a manual last year. I am now looking to sell it due to a potential career change. I took it to Bimmer Motor World in GA on Tuesday and they were supposed to have it back to me on Wednesday but, I didn't get it back until yesterday. Now the cel is on for a powertrain error associated with the auto trans. They still have the Auto computer connected. At this point I do not think they are capable of doing the conversion. Is anyone on here willing to code it off site? I can purchase a cable to do so. I have already paid $350 to have it done. I have no error messages on the OBC just the cel. I have a line of people waiting to buy it.

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Quote Originally Posted by Selleck95 View Post
    I converted my 540it to a manual last year. I am now looking to sell it due to a potential career change. I took it to Bimmer Motor World in GA on Tuesday and they were supposed to have it back to me on Wednesday but, I didn't get it back until yesterday. Now the cel is on for a powertrain error associated with the auto trans. They still have the Auto computer connected. At this point I do not think they are capable of doing the conversion. Is anyone on here willing to code it off site? I can purchase a cable to do so. I have already paid $350 to have it done. I have no error messages on the OBC just the cel. I have a line of people waiting to buy it.
    Wow, they obviously don't know how to properly do the swap (maybe the mechanicals, but certainly not the electrical/coding). There is a really great DIY thread written by GearGrinder that explains everything that needs to be done. Leaving the auto transmission computer in place is definitely not the right way. Sorry you've already paid $350 to have them code something that shouldn't have cost more than about $30 for a cable and some reading.

Normally, I would just say to do a Google search for "540it 6-speed swap DIY" and have you find the link as the first result, but I'm feeling good this morning, so here's the direct link

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...-Wiring-Coding

There should definitely be some people near you that can do the coding for you. I believe transportador is somewhat near you in Atlanta and might be able to do it.

-Paul
    2003 "M5" - Full M5 conversion, AMG C63S 6 piston front calipers, Porsche Panamera 4 piston rear calipers, GC Coilovers,
    Eibach ARBs, UUC Evo3/DSSR, Borla Exhaust w/Muffler Delete, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto, Bi-Xenons, e38 Style 37 M-Pars, e60 Hubs 530i 6-speed swap build thread
    2005 Range Rover 4.6is (M62TU Powered) - 4.6is Engine Swap from X5, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto
    2006 Porsche Cayman S - Soul Performance Competition Headers and Exhaust, H&R Coilovers, 718 Boxster Spyder wheels, Rennline 35mm rear spacers

My Cars
    1995 BMW 525i
    Thank you for your response. I actually did everything myself up to this point this is the last thing. Yeah they are not telling me the truth now they are pushing me off until after Thanksgiving at least. I may just wait and do the research to try and figure it out myself. Not alot of free time at the moment.

My Cars
    1995 BMW 525i
    Thanks to purplecty my car now starts without the auto trans computer. Bimmer Motor World did not have the clutch interlock disabled and would not listen to me when I tried to tell them I did not want that feature enabled.

My Cars
    2000 740i sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Selleck95 View Post
    Thanks to purplecty my car now starts without the auto trans computer. Bimmer Motor World did not have the clutch interlock disabled and would not listen to me when I tried to tell them I did not want that feature enabled.
    Glad it worked! Simple fix... It looks like they didn't program the DSC for manual either. Thanks Paul for kicking in muscle memory! It officially has no more errors or lights on the cluster...

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by purplecty; 12-09-2018 at 02:44 PM.