Thread: Dinan Sedan exhaust on 540iT. Works well with some fabrication. Needs more rasp tho

My Cars
    2003 540it

Dinan Sedan exhaust on 540iT. Works well with some fabrication. Needs more rasp tho

https://youtu.be/MC76OeXcr7w

Here's the video of the sound in case future folks are curious. I don't think this exhaust is worth it at the $741 list price, but if you can get a used one for around 300-400$, I'd say it's worth it over the Magnaflow.

There's a top flat section and slight offset on the wagon exhaust inlet pipe to accommodate the different suspension. The sedan Dinan's inlet pipe is round throughout. Exhaust technician cut the inlet on the sedan exhaust so that it attached at a later section of inlet pipe where it was rounded again thoughout. Took about 2 hours and cost me $180. Not too shabby.

Exhaust looks good and has a bit of rasp. The M-Tech version of the exhaust will indeed fit the cut out of the touring/wagon rear bumper.

The sound is pretty good too, wish I could get a bit more raspy-ness from it though. I think the exhaust would sound way better with a manual since i bet it'd make some sweet deceleration noises in low gear, but alas, the wagon is an auto.

Any way to get some more sound out of it at idle and all ranges? Y-Resonator delete, tuned resonator, mini-magnaflow muffler in place of the y-res (heard this was a thing)...

P.S. holy ?? the stock exhaust is HEAVY. I could do flys one handed with the Dinan...needed 2 hands to pick up the stock exhaust. Easily saved at least 20 lbs I'd say.

thanks ya'll.
    Last edited by Olly84; 11-17-2018 at 12:40 AM. Reason: holy what? You want to go to time out?
    2019 X3 M40i Glacier Silver
    -stock

2003 540iT Titanium Silver
    -Dinan Exhaust

2003 325i 5-speed Japanrot
    -BMW Performance Intake
    -Dinan exhaust

JimLev is online now Artifically Aspirated Moderator
    My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Even at $300 it's too much. I bought a Vibrant dual tip muffler for about $150. All stainless steel and it has a nice deep mellow sound. You want rasp, really?

My Cars
    2003 540it
    Quote Originally Posted by JimLev View Post
    Even at $300 it's too much. I bought a Vibrant dual tip muffler for about $150. All stainless steel and it has a nice deep mellow sound. You want rasp, really?

I would like a little more rasp and also the metallic rumble noise that you get when you let off the gas.

Have you had any experience with the Vibrant "Bottle styled" resonators Jim? I found 1 clip of a 540i with a magnaflow and vibrant resonator that was close to the type of sound I wanted.
    -stock

-Dinan Exhaust

-BMW Performance Intake
    -Dinan exhaust

My Cars
    750IL/540iT/R53/E46Vert
    Glad you got it to fit. Live with it for a few weeks, you’ll likely appreciate that it’s not noisier.

JimLev is online now Artifically Aspirated Moderator
    My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Quote Originally Posted by Olly84 View Post
    Have you had any experience with the Vibrant "Bottle styled" resonators Jim? I found 1 clip of a 540i with a magnaflow and vibrant resonator that was close to the type of sound I wanted.
    No, I'm using the OE resonator.
    IIRC someone here is using the Vibrant res.

My Cars
    2003 540it
    Quote Originally Posted by CPHES View Post
    Glad you got it to fit. Live with it for a few weeks, you’ll likely appreciate that it’s not noisier.
    Thanks man!

At this stage in my life, I don't mind a bit more noise. Will talk to the exhaust shop and see what my options are! They said they could make a resonator for me to replace the Y...
    -stock

-Dinan Exhaust

-BMW Performance Intake
    -Dinan exhaust

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540i 6speed
    Thanks man!

At this stage in my life, I don't mind a bit more noise. Will talk to the exhaust shop and see what my options are! They said they could make a resonator for me to replace the Y...
    i have after market resonators on my pipes right before the y pipe all custom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLvqoC1O2dc
    540i 6spd DUDMD tuned-weekend brute, sounds like an M5 throaty V8 "Vtec-ish" cam noise.

Hummer- 35inch MT's, Adventure offroad package.

check out my video gear
    https://kit.co/Lv5multimedia/mobile-videographer-set-up

Best Oil hands down for bmw
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...1441c0abde2552

My Cars
    E28, E32, E39, E53, E90
    Thanks man!

It sounds great! But don't we usually go the opposite direction as we get older? I couldn't daily drive a car with a loud or droning exhaust.