Thread: Heater not working - E39 M54b25

My Cars
    '78 320i

Heater not working - E39 M54b25

2001 525i m54b25, 160k miles

Hey all,

I cant seem to get my heat working. I turned the cabin temp to 75 expecting heat and nothing. Eventually cranked it up to 90 and still nothing. I felt the passenger side vent and that one was actually blowing heat. I figured it was a bubble in the heater core, figured it was possible I didnt have it on all the way when doing the coolant last year. I fully bled the system (I think?) and still no heat. I will get waves of heat at random times, like if I push hard accelerations. Mostly nil

I had a bad FSU so that was replaced last week. Coolant was bled. thermostat is less than a year old. Im thinking buildup in the heater core also. Is there anything else I can test? Usually heating is pretty damn simple. Never really have issues in my other cars...

My Cars
    2002 BMW 530i
    So one side is blowing heat and one isn’t? Is the dial in the middle of the vents set to “red”?

Sounds like the heater control valve.

My Cars
    '78 320i
    Yeah it's set to red but honestly it's been so inconsistent I'll sometimes get heat at both like when I was bleeding. But 90% of the time nothing

My Cars
    99 528i/5, 05 ZHP conv
    simple/obvious stuff:
    -make sure there is the proper level of coolant. too little will result in symptoms you describe.
    - unlock the hidden menu on your cluster to show actual coolant temp (menu 7 after unlock). I recently had your symptoms, and my car would run at 78-80c- too cold. I replaced thermostat and all is good. I know your t-stat is newer, but test coolant temps anyway.

I have heard of a couple of heater valves failing this season. I hear if you unplug the heater valve it will default to open position - can anyone confirm this?

feel heater hoses going into heater core from engine bay.

My Cars
    1997 BMW 540i 6 speed
    I have heard of a couple of heater valves failing this season. I hear if you unplug the heater valve it will default to open position - can anyone confirm this?

That's what I've read.

Have you done any cooling system work recently?

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.

My Cars
    Two 2003 540i6 Msports
    My heater valve assembly failed a couple months ago. Unfortunately I can't rememember what the default position is. I think it probably is the open position.
    The valves can also get stuck closed.
    Wait... I do indeed think the default position is "on" or "open".
    When mine failed last summer, I couldn't turn the temperature down. Basically the heat was on full tilt. I could only adjust fan speed and change the center vents to "blue".
    Last edited by Santaclaus4; 11-16-2018 at 03:24 AM. Reason: Additional information
    I do not believe in a risk free society where the thrill of living is traded for the safety of existence. Nick Ienatsch

The law does NOT determine "right" from "wrong". They are unrelated.

If you put cheap parts on your car, you will soon have a cheap parts car.

My Cars
    '78 320i
    Its not the heater valve assembly (yet). I checked coolant levels and bled the system a bit more this morning and heat is now working. Takes a wee bit to get hot, even in 50 degree weather so Im sure the heater core needs a good cleaning. Ill look out for the heater valve assembly as well.

Did you buy new? They look pricey.

My Cars
    Two 2003 540i6 Msports
    Yea, brandy new from FCPEuro. My heat now works better than it has in a couple years.
    I do not believe in a risk free society where the thrill of living is traded for the safety of existence. Nick Ienatsch

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Yep. I say heater valve. Don't forget there's 2 heater cores really. Would be nice if the outlets were such that you could swap L/R hoses and confirm (i.e. make the working side switch sides...) but I don't think they'll reach. I think you can get rebuild kits for them but that is predicated on it being a valve side fault and not a solenoid fault. I've never had trouble w/ mine so I'm not really asspurt on 'em.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jaredmac11 View Post
    Its not the heater valve assembly (yet)..
    Why do you say that? Cuz you got heat on one side? Its a double valvey, drivers-side & bitch-side. One side easily/usually can fail first.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    Two 2003 540i6 Msports
    Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
    Why do you say that? Cuz you got heat on one side? Its a double valvey, drivers-side & bitch-side. One side easily/usually can fail first.
    That's exactly why I say my heater is working better than the last couple years. My passengers often complained of being cold. I even noticed the lack of heat on the passenger side sometimes. I just ignored it until it failed (full heat valve open) on the drivers side during the summer. Yea, friggin hot even with the A/C full blast cause it can't cool as much as the heat can heat.