So I'm likely looking at an X5 this weekend with multiple electronic problems. The biggest of which is a possible DME failure. So I'm choosing to assume that this is something I'll have to deal with. I would appreciate thoughts on the following:

1. I've found some limited info on INPA, and trying to sort out how useful that could be in helping troubleshoot. Thoughts on how useful this thing is in troubleshooting?
  2. DME replacement looks MUCH harder than my e24 (just swap whatever you want in there). I found a "Complete Kit" of a DME, EWS, a Key and something on the MAF that theoretically will let me complete a DME swap without a problem. Anyone have experience with these kits? How serious should I take the difficulties in getting a new DME installed without ridiculous costs and dealers involved.
  3. Is there still an Electronic Troubleshooting Manual (ETM) for BMWs or is everything now in the "shop manual"? And where is my best source for this nowadays.
  4. Lastly, are there some tips I can get in terms of a buyers guide for these cars? What tends to go wrong with an '04 X5 with 150-ish K. It's a 3.0 6-cyl engine.

Thanks!