Thread: Ran out of gas now car won't start

My Cars
    2004 325xi Wagon

Ran out of gas now car won't start

Hello,

I ran into some unexpected bills and let the car run low on gas as a result.

Anyhow at maybe half a gallon the car wouldn't start last night (the lights did but not the engine). So, I was exhausted and I went home.

This morning I came back with gas and nothing turns on. I had to open the fuel door from the little knob in the back (climbed through the car to get there).

So, now the car has gas but the vehicle won't turn on. Nothing happens when I turn the key all the way.

What's the next step the people of this forum could recommend me?

Should I disconnect the battery or give it a jump? Is it the fuel pump?

Anything I can do at this point?
    The size of your success is measured by the strength of your desire, the size of your dream, and how you handle disappointment along the way.

My Cars
    2004 325xi Wagon
    I found a fairly decent review
    https://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1011677

I'm hoping it's not the fuel pump so I dont have to have the vehicle towed (its parked on campus and needs to be off by Friday night).

Even if I could drive it home it'd help tremendously and I could replace the fuel pump later to err on the side of caution. But right here right now if that's the issue and this being my daily driver I'd have to take it to a mechanic.

My Cars
    nil
    Does the engine not turn over? If it turns over but won't start, probably cooked the pump. Fuel pumps are not too bad to replace and relatively inexpensive. They are mildly sensitive in these cars to dry surging(vastly shortens service life). I consider the pump and regulator in these cars like service items, replace every 60k(filter 20-30k). Having said that, the fuel quality out here in the PNW is terrible. If you have a code reader, you might see what codes are popping up.
    Regards

My Cars
    2004 325xi Wagon
    Yes sir the engine does not turn over (nothing happens with anything).

I figure after this the fuel pump needs replaced regardless.

My Cars
    2004 325xi Wagon
    Well I got a jump and the car is now on. Low fuel light is on, yellow ABS, and the yellow central light with a warning sign surrounded by a an arrow going counter clockwise.

Also, checking now the lights will not turn off and on.

Will check codes now.

Great. One problem to another.

My Cars
    2004 325xi Wagon
    And no codes.... huh.

I'm going to risk going to the gas station to get more gas.

My Cars
    nil
    Sounds like your going to need a fresh battery to start off with. Give it a check with a voltmeter, but probably needs one. I just did ours....
    DSC_0001.jpg
    Napa AGM battery pt# 9894R, 800CCA, and absolutely brilliant, highly recommend. They are the go-to battery for our german cars. Good luck with it.
    Regards

My Cars
    2004 325xi Wagon
    Well the ABS light went away eventually and I tossed 10 bucks into it (will fill it tommorow).

Thabks for the advice, I'll probably go ahead and replace the battery soon.

My Cars
    nil
    That's good, if you find you still have fuel pressure issues, the pump is quite easy to change out. Here's a pic of our old one that only has 63k on it.
    DSC_0001.jpg
    Was so bad, there was no rest pressure at all. Good luck with your car.
    Regards

My Cars
    03M3 17M540 18A5SB

This is appalling. You ran out of gas. Put gas in it. Not being mean but WTH?

Quote Originally Posted by Durlaker View Post
    Hello,

I ran into some unexpected bills and let the car run low on gas as a result.

Anyhow at maybe half a gallon the car wouldn't start last night (the lights did but not the engine). So, I was exhausted and I went home.

This morning I came back with gas and nothing turns on. I had to open the fuel door from the little knob in the back (climbed through the car to get there).

So, now the car has gas but the vehicle won't turn on. Nothing happens when I turn the key all the way.

What's the next step the people of this forum could recommend me?

Should I disconnect the battery or give it a jump? Is it the fuel pump?

Anything I can do at this point?
    That's the first thing I'd recommend.
    Running the starter until it won't didn't help the battery.
    Yes...you're right, put gas in it and see what happens.

My Cars
    2004 325xi Wagon
    Okay, I had to jump start the battery and found there battery is surround by a 1/2 of water (or petrol). I didn't check.

The battery itself reads 60% needs charge.

Also, it's not the alternator. The local indy who's worked on these for 20 years said. Unfortunately I live in a college town (ames, IA) and can't the car in.

The mechanic suggested a parasitic draw or so. He isn't aware of the water around it.

Btw, I drive the 325xi wagon.

Any thoughts on my next step.... I was going to replace the battery but now I'm not sure.

My Cars
    2004 325xi Wagon
    Apologies on the typos it's called and I cant edit posts do to my low post count.

My Cars
    2004 325xi Wagon
    *cold

My Cars
    2004 325xi Wagon
    After blowing $100 for a car rental so I can get to work this weekend... i figured I'd call the dealership and see what they'd charge. $150 to diagnose and $600 for the battery.

$750..... that's insane and I'm not sure I'd trust their diagnosis.

My Cars
    nil
    You might consider buying a Peake code reader and voltmeter. Having said that, if the battery is more then 5 years old, replace it. Ours was only $200. Fuel pump was $180, and filter/regulator was about $75. The filter in our car was the original from 2002 in our car! $600 for a battery is a tad steep.
    Regards

My Cars
    98 Euro M3, 04 M3, 06 M5
    EDIT: Nevermind, mis-read the post.
    Last edited by legoman67; 11-18-2018 at 01:46 PM.
    Current:

- 09 335i MSport, FBO.
    - 98 Euro M3, Estoril Blue
    - 04 M3, Carbon Black, 6 Speed Coupe
    - 06 M5, Black on Black, Full Leather.
    - 73 3.0CS, Tagia Green, 5 speed M30b35 converted

Ex's: 1984 325e, 1988 325IX, 1992 525I, 1995 540i/6, 2002 330i, 2005 330xi, 1992 850i, 2003 330i #1, 2003 330i #2, 2002 330ci, 2004 330ci, 2007 328CI, 2007 335i, 2001 M3, 2006 M5 6 speed

My Cars
    2004 325xi Wagon
    Quote Originally Posted by por911 View Post
    You might consider buying a Peake code reader and voltmeter. Having said that, if the battery is more then 5 years old, replace it. Ours was only $200. Fuel pump was $180, and filter/regulator was about $75. The filter in our car was the original from 2002 in our car! $600 for a battery is a tad steep.
    Regards
    Thanks man, I went ahead and replaced the battery. ($80 at AutoZone). There was more water then I realized....... so being lazy I drove to Wal-Mart and paid them $10 and let them clean it out (figure the amount of rags and strain on my body to dry it out would've cost more).

Things are fine now, guess I have to figure how that water got in there. Replace the fuel pump and on and on......... Always more work w/ this car :-)

Or I might just trade it in. Unsure at the moment.
    The size of your success is measured by the strength of your desire, the size of your dream, and how you handle disappointment along the way.

My Cars
    03M3 17M540 18A5SB
    No mechanic can tell you it's not the alternator without testing the charging system. It doesn't cost much to buy a load tester and do it yourself...and you've added a nifty tool to your collection, even as a student! A load tester will tell you if the battery is good as well as if the charging system is working.
    PS: If you have 140K miles on the alternator I still say replace the alternator brushes if not the voltage regulator (some alternators have spot welded pigtails for the alternator brushes) because they generally wear very short by 140K miles. Sometimes you can even replace the regulator/brushes (you have to remove the regulator to get to the integral brushes anyway) without pulling the alternator..you should still disconnect the battery. This is one case where you can't trick the onboard computer(s) by energizing the cables while replacing the battery!

My Cars
    03M3 17M540 18A5SB
    Not familiar with your car but if the battery was in the trunk (as it is on my M3) and there is water around it, chances are the gasket/seal around the boot/trunklid is leaking or leaked or perhaps the battery vent hose that goes through a hole in the battery box and out the bottom of the car wasn't replaced and the car went through deep water or heavy rain forced more water into the battery box/tray. Or the trunk/lid got opened with a lot of water spilling into the car or even a gallon or container of drinking water bottle spilled in the trunk.
    Fuel/petrol in the battery tray is an existential risk...it's a fuel leak likely from the in-tank fuel pump or connectors or lines/hoses.