Thread: How Much Spec E30 Costs? NEW Video!

My Cars
    1989 325i

How Much Spec E30 Costs? NEW Video!

I haven't seen that many videos that share this information so I thought I would share for anyone interested in getting into it.

For more videos like this SUBSCRIBE!

My Cars
    Spec3 & MCoupe
    Useful info but I wouldn't call 4.5 events a full season. I dunno about NorCal but NASA MidAtlantic ran 8 weekends plus the Nationals event at COTA.

My Cars
    95m3/97m345/powerstroke
    Damn, that is the cleanest spec e30 I've ever seen !

My Cars
    1989 325i
    Thanks! and no it was not a Full Season but it was enough for me to get a feel for everything and do OK in the season points. Looking forward to more close action next year! https://speedhive.mylaps.com/Championships/66524

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Good info. There was a spreadsheet I saw on some forum, where folks had provided input to season costs for several classes. It figured a 5 year 'career', and included cost of car, replacement engine, etc. It made it easy to find less expensive classes. Wish I could find it again.

My Cars
    Spec3 & MCoupe
    Did you get any of those sweet sweet Toyobucks? I'm hoping to spend $0 on tires next year with Toyobucks. Same for our Hawk brake pads.

But yea -- those entry fees. Average entry fee for NASA-MA is about $400 x 8 events = $3,200.

My Cars
    1989 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by OCRentAPopo View Post
    Did you get any of those sweet sweet Toyobucks? I'm hoping to spend $0 on tires next year with Toyobucks. Same for our Hawk brake pads.

But yea -- those entry fees. Average entry fee for NASA-MA is about $400 x 8 events = $3,200.
    I ended up getting some Toyo bucks and some Hawk bucks (not significant enough until the last couple events) that Ill gather up soon. But I didn't have all that organized enough to add it into the video, when I get it sorted better I might update the spreadsheet with that info.

How often would you be buying tires? the guys that are making top 3 here in Norcal seem to be on pretty much new rubber all the time.

My Cars
    Spec3 & MCoupe
    Typically a set of 6 Toyo RR slicks (same tire as SpecE30 but Spec3 runs wider 225/50/15) will last a whole season if you rotate diligently and flip them on the rim about half way through. We run those things down to the cords and there really isn’t a drop off from heat cycling.

My Cars
    1989 325i
    Typically a set of 6 Toyo RR slicks (same tire as SpecE30 but Spec3 runs wider 225/50/15) will last a whole season if you rotate diligently and flip them on the rim about half way through. We run those things down to the cords and there really isn’t a drop off from heat cycling.

A set of (4) new RR's won't last a whole season in spec e30 with all the flipping and rotating in the world. I ran to the cords on the 3-4 used sets throughout the season (the one good set I did buy off of someone only had about 4 sessions on it) I do agree there isn't much drop in grip over heat cycles but I do notice the car has so much more bite on initial turn in with the fresher sets that I've used, and my LapTimes agree as well. Can you explain why you buy 6 tires in a set?

My Cars
    Spec3 & MCoupe
    Quote Originally Posted by yeaseth View Post
    Can you explain why you buy 6 tires in a set?

Three tires are assigned LF / RR and three are assigned RF / LR. In addition to the corner designation, they're marked 1, 2, or 3. Then you just rotate them through with two of the six taking a rest for the weekend or the day. Eight tires isn't necessary to get through the Spec3 season but four won't make it. With proper rotation, a set of six is about right.

** This is what I'm told by the quick Spec3 guys with plenty of experience. I just got through my rookie season, half on scrubs, half on a new set of four RR's. Based on the wear I'm seeing thus far, I suspect a set of six will work great. No first-hand experience yet, though.**

My Cars
    1989 325i
    Three tires are assigned LF / RR and three are assigned RF / LR. In addition to the corner designation, they're marked 1, 2, or 3. Then you just rotate them through with two of the six taking a rest for the weekend or the day. Eight tires isn't necessary to get through the Spec3 season but four won't make it. With proper rotation, a set of six is about right.

** This is what I'm told by the quick Spec3 guys with plenty of experience. I just got through my rookie season, half on scrubs, half on a new set of four RR's. Based on the wear I'm seeing thus far, I suspect a set of six will work great. No first-hand experience yet, though.**

Thanks for the explanation. I would think that would mess with the balance of the car but if it works for guys that are potentially faster then me in a spec e30 I'm open to looking into that being a possibility for next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1989 325i
    Bump