Thread: Be careful buying spark plugs off Amazon!

My Cars
    2000 z3 m roadster

Be careful buying spark plugs off Amazon!

I ordered 6x NGK BKR6EIX for my M Roadster off Amazon. Everything looked fine. Installed them 10k miles ago. Suddenly last week I was getting some bad misfiring, so I checked the plugs... The "iridium" tip was completely worn off on all 6! Too bad I only checked *after* replacing the coils...

These plugs are supposed to last at least 30k miles, so what the hell? Then i got suspicious - the plugs look fine otherwise, and there's no reason for them to wear that fast unless they're running insanely hot. So I emailed NGK and they confirmed that they were counterfeit! That specific batch number was made in Thailand, but the part says made in the USA. They said Amazon isn't an authorized seller, but they're planning on working with them in the future. They even offered to send me new plugs if I mail them in.

Pics: https://m.imgur.com/a/bCXlsiG

TL;DR: Watch out for counterfeits when buying off Amazon.

My Cars
    2015 BMW 228i coupe
    Why would anyone buy auto parts from Amazon. There are dealers and auto part stores.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

My Cars
    2015 BMW M3
    I buy a lot of parts online and https://www.bmwpartsprime.com/ has been my go to for genuine OEM BMW parts at prices that are really worth buying online. All their parts come with the factory warranty too. They're legit!
    Last edited by Griffin562; 11-16-2018 at 06:59 PM.

My Cars
    EXOTICS

Thumbs up Lifetime Warranty, Free Shipping & 365 Day Returns

My Cars
    EXOTICS

Thumbs down Sorry, we cannot find any compatible Spark Plugs for your vehicle.

https://www.bmwpartsprime.com/2000-b...:Spark%20Plugs
    Seems this place is useless for OP.

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    Purchasing BMW parts off of eBay,Amazon,etc…, comes with high risk,
    so why gamble with saving a few bucks,when you can purchase online from one of the top OE-OEM BMW parts suppliers?

My Cars
    02 530i 05 156SW 05 166
    Damn, got stung eh. Excellent response from NGK though.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Quote Originally Posted by sfz3m View Post
    I ordered 6x NGK BKR6EIX for my M Roadster off Amazon. Everything looked fine. Installed them 10k miles ago. Suddenly last week I was getting some bad misfiring, so I checked the plugs... The "iridium" tip was completely worn off on all 6! Too bad I only checked *after* replacing the coils...

These plugs are supposed to last at least 30k miles, so what the hell? Then i got suspicious - the plugs look fine otherwise, and there's no reason for them to wear that fast unless they're running insanely hot. So I emailed NGK and they confirmed that they were counterfeit! That specific batch number was made in Thailand, but the part says made in the USA. They said Amazon isn't an authorized seller, but they're planning on working with them in the future. They even offered to send me new plugs if I mail them in.

Pics: https://m.imgur.com/a/bCXlsiG

TL;DR: Watch out for counterfeits when buying off Amazon.
    Sorry you were cheated. While Amazon hosts the sales they are often NOT the actual seller. Check your invoice and call out the seller so we can steer clear of them. "Amazon" doesn't help much and I seriously doubt, given all they have to lose, would be(deliberately at least)selling counterfeits.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue