Thread: 98 E36 M3 Misfire Fault Codes

My Cars
    1998 E36 M3; 2015 F10 M5

98 E36 M3 Misfire Fault Codes

Hi guys,

Pretty new to the forum and BMWs in general. I'm really familiar with import tuner cars though.

Here's the backstory to my car:
    I bought this car in hopes that it would be a cheap and quick way just to get more seat time. After a few week's the car kept smoking. I ended up rebuilding the entire motor with factory spec forged parts. The only thing not factory spec are the cams (Schrick 264/256) and Supertech valve train parts.

After the motor was rebuilt, I still had a Vanos Mechanical Fault. The engine builder suggested I get a tune. He felt he timed the car right. I did a remote tune. The suggested I have the car timed again. Everything seems to be running fine right now. No apparent loss of power, starts right up, no idle issues, no more burning oil.

I drop it off at a local shop and they do the timing. They did warn me that it idles rough on cold start. This lasts for maybe 30-60 seconds. Didn't really bother me.

I drove it home with no issues, no CELs, nothing. Everything seemed fine!

I get pretty busy at work so the car just sat for about 2 months. I went to jump it this week to get a state inspection. I jumped it, let it warm up, and started driving. Again, I had a cold start rough idle, but it went away in 30-60 seconds like I expected.

I get to the state inspection station, pull in, and left the car running. When I got out, the CEL came on! They pulled the codes and there were a ton of misfires. I've never seen this as long as I've owned the car.

The car died as I was pulling out of the shop. Jumped it. CEL went off, probably because everything reset. I got home, came to a stop, and the CEL came back on. I decided to charge the battery and try to tackle this later.

I put the charged battery back into the car, started it up, got the same cold start idle for 30-60 seconds. I immediately had the CEL come on. I guess this time it didn't reset anything?

A tuner suggested that maybe a ground strap wasn't grounded or something was loose. So I went to check last night and everything seemed to be ok.

I pulled the codes and this is what I got:
    238 Misfire Cyl 1
    239 Misfire Cyl 2
    240 Misfire Cyl 3
    241 Misfire Cyl 4
    242 Misfire Cyl 5
    243 Misfire Cyl 6
    12 TPS
    55 Lambda Sensor Heater - Bank 2
    21 VANOS Electrical Fault
    24 Fuel Injector Cyl 4
    225 Cat Efficiency Bank 1
    226 Cat Efficiency Bank 2
    52 Solenoid Valve - Exhaust Flap

Before I got the timing done, the only fault I had was a Vanos Mechanical Fault. Nothing else! (The engine builder did say I should replace my O2 sensors but never had a fault for that)

The shop I took it to is a very competent shop. They work almost exclusively with E36s. But it's just odd that all these faults came on after I got the timing done.

I need to check the ohms on the coil packs tonight to see if they're bad. I'm just a little stuck on what the issue is. The shop says it's the tune. And the tuner says it's the shop LOL

Anyone have any suggestions?

My Cars
    1998 BMW 328i
    Clear the codes and see which ones come back. Sometimes ive caused codes by trying to diagnose things. I do seem to recall aggressive cams needing the vanos travel shimmed or limited in some fashion.

It could be misfiring during the rough cold start which would explain most of those codes.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by XnWarden; 11-15-2018 at 09:22 AM.

My Cars
    1998 E36 M3; 2015 F10 M5
    Quote Originally Posted by XnWarden View Post
    Clear the codes and see which ones come back. Sometimes ive caused codes by trying to diagnose things. I do seem to recall aggressive cams needing the vanos travel shimmed or limited in some fashion.

It could be misfiring during the rough cold start which would explain most of those codes.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk
    THANKS! I would hope that the shop that did the timing would put in those shims to get the timing correct. I cleared the codes last night. So I'll check tonight if I get them again..

- - - Updated - - -

I should also mention that the misfire faults show the faults come on at 5000+ RPM. At least that's what I think it means.

- - - Updated - - -

The TPS, Lambda Sensor heater, vanos, and injector faults show that they come on at 0 rpm.. so that might be at start up.

My Cars
    99 M3

I had a three year old battery that was low on electrolyte and was not putting out 12+ volts. The ECU was not happy and was displaying numerous codes. Topped up the battery fluid and placed it on a trickle charger over a weekend and all has been good.

Do you have 3.5 MAF, Ford Mustang injectors, and a Tune?
    You could be running lean above 4500 rpm without more fuel.

I was not aware that 256/264 Schricks needed a VaNos limiting spacer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by bluptgm3; 11-15-2018 at 10:27 AM.

My Cars
    1997 328i
    Time for a new set of coils. Smoked test for leaks. Run some injector cleaner.

- - - Updated - - -

Ohm testing coils is not sufficient, dielectric breakdown and high voltage will shoot right out the plastic.
    Attn. NEWBIES: Use the search feature, 98% has already been discussed.
    Click the search button, select "search single content type", select the "e36 sub forum" specifically, try the "search titles" then try the "search entire posts".

My Cars
    1998 E36 M3; 2015 F10 M5
    Quote Originally Posted by bluptgm3 View Post
    I had a three year old battery that was low on electrolyte and was not putting out 12+ volts. The ECU was not happy and was displaying numerous codes. Topped up the battery fluid and placed it on a trickle charger over a weekend and all has been good.

Do you have 3.5 MAF, Ford Mustang injectors, and a Tune?
    You could be running lean above 4500 rpm without more fuel.

I was not aware that 256/264 Schricks needed a VaNos limiting spacer.

Yeah, it's sitting on a trickle charger now. I have a stock MAF, an off the shelf map from 22RPD, and stock injectors.

Here's also a list of everything else on the motor:

Stock S52 crank
    CP Pistons 86.5mm bore, 10.5:1 CR, 135mm Rod, 85.8mm Stroke
    SP Components Connecting Rods, 135mm, ARP 2000 Bolts
    VAC High Performance Rod Bearing Set
    VAC High Performance Main Bearing Set
    Schrick Camshafts 264 / 256
    Achilles Motorsports High Performance Valve Guides
    Achilles Motorsports High Performance Valve Guide Seals - 6mm Valve Guide
    Supertech Hardened Valve Lock Keeper Single Groove (6mm)
    Supertech Valve Kit (Exhaust Valves: Stainless Steel) Groove Style: Single Groove - Race Type; Valve Diameter - OEM/Standard Size
    Supertech Valve Spring Kit (Retainers: Steel Alloy)
    Ajusa Brand Hydraulic Lifters
    Turner Motorsports Oil Pan Gasket
    Turner Motorsports Oil Pump Suction Pipe
    Turner Motorsports Drilled Oil Pump Nut
    Achilles Motorsports Upgraded Oil Pump
    OEM Oil Pick-up Tube Gasket
    Bimmerworld Vanos Oil Line & Seals
    Achilles Motorsports Rebuilt Single Vanos Unit OEM Style (no Shims)
    Achilles Motorsports 71 Degree Racing Thermostat

Fluidyne 44mm Aluminum Radiator
    ECS Silicone Radiator Hose Kit

New OEM Head Gasket
    New OEM tensioners
    Stock header
    Stock exhaust
    Stock flywheel and clutch
    Stock transmission
    Stock Diff

My Cars
    1997 328i
    Stock injectors were cleaned and flow tested?
    Attn. NEWBIES: Use the search feature, 98% has already been discussed.
    Click the search button, select "search single content type", select the "e36 sub forum" specifically, try the "search titles" then try the "search entire posts".

My Cars
    99 M3

Quote Originally Posted by pleong View Post
    Yeah, it's sitting on a trickle charger now.
    Charging does no good if battery is low on electrolyte, add distilled water as required.

Also, what is condition of spark plug extenders - old hard SPEs can bleed voltage thru cracks in the rubber causing misfires.

Last edited by bluptgm3; 11-16-2018 at 12:44 AM.