Thread: Only speakers on door panels work

My Cars
    1996 328is, 2010 335xi

Question Only speakers on door panels work

I purchased my 328is back in july and I noticed that only the speakers on the door works (it has the Hifi audio system). Could my amplifier be blown, or is it possible every single speaker in the car is blown completely except for the door panel speakers. The audio is really really bad, like no bass at all and obviously quiet. Also, for context, the car came with a Pioneer DEH-150MP head unit. What could possibly be wrong?

My Cars
    22 doors and 4 tops
    Check your stereos balance and fade. Stereo/amp failure is generally by channel which is left or right. Not back/front. Or someone wired it wrong.

My Cars
    325iT 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesE92 View Post
    I purchased my 328is back in july and I noticed that only the speakers on the door works (it has the Hifi audio system). Could my amplifier be blown, or is it possible every single speaker in the car is blown completely except for the door panel speakers. The audio is really really bad, like no bass at all and obviously quiet. Also, for context, the car came with a Pioneer DEH-150MP head unit. What could possibly be wrong?
    Do you have HK speakers? If so, you have an HK amplifier in the side of the trunk. You have to remove the left rear deck speaker to pull the trunk lining to get to the amp. Those amps fail with great regularity under the best of conditions, and if someone plug-and-played a Pioneer head unit in the dash and fed its signal directly to an HK amp, that did not help.

If you have original HK speakers, I am surprised that the door speakers still work. They tended to fail after about 10-12 years.

Pick-n-Pull is your friend if you are looking for another HK amp.

If your Pioneer has an internal amp that can be disabled, doing so would probably be a good idea.

If you cannot find a good HK amp cheap, you can put jumpers in the plugs in the amp and bypass it. It will not sound great and you will have to choose the four speakers that you want to use as the head unit puts out only four channels. I no longer have the amp plug pinout figure that I made while I was looking for another HK amp. I made it from trial and error .

My Cars
    1996 328is, 2010 335xi
    Quote Originally Posted by Manolito View Post
    Do you have HK speakers? If so, you have an HK amplifier in the side of the trunk. You have to remove the left rear deck speaker to pull the trunk lining to get to the amp. Those amps fail with great regularity under the best of conditions, and if someone plug-and-played a Pioneer head unit in the dash and fed its signal directly to an HK amp, that did not help.

If you have original HK speakers, I am surprised that the door speakers still work. They tended to fail after about 10-12 years.

Pick-n-Pull is your friend if you are looking for another HK amp.

If your Pioneer has an internal amp that can be disabled, doing so would probably be a good idea.

If you cannot find a good HK amp cheap, you can put jumpers in the plugs in the amp and bypass it. It will not sound great and you will have to choose the four speakers that you want to use as the head unit puts out only four channels. I no longer have the amp plug pinout figure that I made while I was looking for another HK amp. I made it from trial and error .

I do not have the HK speakers, I have the one step below HK which is the hifi. I could definitely find another amp for cheap, but I'm not really sure if it's the amp otherwise nothing would have sound at all, right? It seems strange if something like every other speaker blew except for the ones on the door panels. I have a suspicion though that the Pioneer was wired wrong. Not sure. I haven't really dug into the car yet due to other major issues it has