RM European Auto Parts

Thread: Water leak rear footwell

My Cars
    2011 535i xDrive

Water leak rear footwell

Group, We’ve been getting an abundance of rain in the northeast the last couple months. I’ve noticed that my driver side footwell has been damp on a few occasion. Doesn’t appear to be coming from the door. Just the floor on the rear driver side is damp. I briefly did some research and seen something trending on this subject in regards to a grommet attached to the firewall near the glove box that is the possible culprit. Does this sound familiar to anyone? Any enlightenment would be appreciated, Thx in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Assuming that the front footwell area is dry, I would first suspect the rear door's vapor barrier, plus perhaps that the door drains are stopped up. On this same line, I'd recommend drying everything with a shop-vac, especially the rubber door seal, then soaking that door and window with a hose for a few minutes, and see if you find a wet trail crossing the rubber door seal when you open the door.

Next step is to pull up hard on the front of the rear seat cushion, and see whether it's wet under the rear seat. If so, suspect the rear sunroof drains.

You are going to need to lift the entire left rear carpet, perhaps remove the front seat too, and use a shop vac, and a huge fan, alternately, for several days, to dry this out, after fixing the leak. This is absolutely crucial, or the car will turn to permanent mold. There is ~3 inches of open-cell foam under the carpets, and if the carpet is wet on top, that foam is DRENCHED.

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471

My Cars
    2012 328-I Convertible

Hard top leak

I have a 2012 328-I hard top convertible and have a leak on the drivers side up top from the top. In taking it to the dealer to find the leak( was hoping for the top of the windshield seal) they found the windshield had been replaced and in my case the lower right bottom of the windshield didn't seal well. I ended up with a ton of water in the passenger footwell. It was not an area that I had ever known to leak. My top unfortunately does leak but for 4 k to replace the top rubber of the hard top, am going to wait and or stay out of heavy rain.

This issue came up as they put it though a car wash and that puts pressure in areas and volumes of water that one doesn't see in all storms.