Thread: 93 Calypso 525i Semi-Resto Project

My Cars
    1993 525i 1995 553i

93 Calypso 525i Semi-Resto Project

So I now got some redheaded twins this weekend after getting a second Calypso E34. I picked this "gem" of a Calypso 525i with only 130K miles for $1200! It is a real solid runner but could benefit from some suspension work. It is a little rough on the bumps and makes some noises but drives straight. I have never driven one of these with a working auto transmission and now that I got the opportunity to drive one it really reminds me of a 90s Honda auto transmission. But other wise it is a good secondary driver. I really do not have a lot to do engine wise and the PO did the radiator and water pump not too long ago. But just in case I do have a lot of M50 parts lying around.

It definitely is cosmetically challenged all over but is a solid driver for what it is. There is some rust that has developed on the doors and the rear wheel arches, but nothing under the car. Since I am going to be repainting my 95 Calypso 525i LS project I will find some perfect rust free doors regardless of color and move the old doors to the 93. The 95s are starting to rust in the typical pinch points but are at least salvageable so that would fix that. The rust on the arches has not gone through so that is should hopefully only need some grinding and re-spray. If it was not for the miles I would not really bother with going that far with this. Paint overall does not look to be too far gone some probably just a touch-up in places and polish might have her look'n purddy.

Interior is also needing some love but nothing too bad. Some of the pillar trim panels need some reupholstering and the rear parcel shelf fabric has faded. Carpet is not pristine but is not anywhere near as bad as the 95, and even though there was not a gallon of rotten milk in the trunk like the 95 there is this sticky substance under the trunk carpet. The seat might be easy since the 95 will be getting sport seats so I will just move the better condition seat over. I also need to get 3 window regulators.

So this will be a slow project since it is my 3rd daily driver but it does not really need anything that requires down time. I am considering ding a manual swap since I have all the parts to do it minus the pedal assembly and rear end. Those remained in the 95. I also think it will be cool to have a testing apparatus for the ideas I am working on the 95 such as testing out a rear BBK idea and the rack and pinion swap. I really do not know the ultimate goal with this other than get me through winter since my Jeep is well... a Jeep, but I do want to bring it back to its former glory. I think with the "low" miles it is worth putting some time, money, and effort into.

95 E34 553i6 LS TR6060 Project
    93 E34 525iA Beater with no heater
    VANOS kicked in yo!

moroza is offline MORΩN ΛABIA BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E34T

My Cars
    1993 525i 1995 553i
    Quote Originally Posted by moroza View Post
    No undercarriage rust, really?
    No, to my surprise. But I never jacked it up to really look at it yet but it looked real clean just by laying on the ground and looking.
    95 E34 553i6 LS TR6060 Project
    93 E34 525iA Beater with no heater
    VANOS kicked in yo!