RM European Auto Parts

Thread: Power Steering Fluid leak - cannot seem to stop

My Cars
    325ci 2004, 330i 2002

Power Steering Fluid leak - cannot seem to stop

Hi, I've got a 2002 e46 and have had a bad leak of the power steering fluid for that last several months. I took the car to my BMW guy and he replaced the 2 hoses from the reservoir. Leak slowed, but after a month I had the problem again. I went and purchased another top hose (the one that goes from the reservoir to the radiator) because it look like it was leaking from here. Slowed again for a few weeks, but now once again is dripping from this hose end. I'm starting to think that the problem is not the hose, but the plastic connection coming off the radiator. Any ideas or suggestions? Does this sound right? And, is there any fix suggested if I have a lead at that plastic connector (to the hose)? Help.....

Thx,

HJ

My Cars
    2001 e46 323i
    Sounds like you have a pressure build up in the circuit, since the leak is traveling along the weaker points as you replace the parts. Most likely it's the reservoir (there is a non removable filter in it, which gets clogged over time), maybe the steering rack...
    "If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters." Alan K. Simpson.
    5spd E46 "3XX": 328i engine, 330i Intake and exhaust, CAI, 323i diff.

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    What brands are the hoses? I concur with breeze that the reservoir needs to be changed. It may be leaking. But, before you do anything check the o-ring on the reservoir cap. It could be missing. Buy a replacement at the dealer.

My Cars
    325ci 2004, 330i 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Breeze1 View Post
    Sounds like you have a pressure build up in the circuit, since the leak is traveling along the weaker points as you replace the parts. Most likely it's the reservoir (there is a non removable filter in it, which gets clogged over time), maybe the steering rack...

hey, thanks, you know, I took it apart today and low and behold there is a small but definite break in the flange that encircles the tube end off the radiator. I think that under pressure the liquid is seeping back out through this. So my issue is the valve/end no longer completely sealing this. What if I take off that hose and make my own with two ring clamps to hold it. I think I'll try that. I did put a rim of silicone sealant where the leak is just to see if it helps, but truthfully I think I'm going to make my own hose and connection. nothing to loose. Thanks for the help.

HJ

My Cars
    2001 e46 323i
    You're welcome! You could try that yes, but make sure the hose is long enough so you can tighten the clamp firmly on the plastic pipe, which comes with a kind of "step" that houses the flange you're mentoning. Be careful not to break the pipe though.
    And do change the reservoir with oil (Dex III ATF). It's inexpensive and on a 16yo car, it can't hurt, in order to relieve any pressure a clogged reservoir might be causing.
    Last edited by Breeze1; 11-14-2018 at 12:19 PM.
    "If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters." Alan K. Simpson.
    5spd E46 "3XX": 328i engine, 330i Intake and exhaust, CAI, 323i diff.

My Cars
    95 m3+, 03 ZHP, Mk4 Tdi
    when you say radiator - by chance, is this an automatic?
    '95 325iS - auto to manual swap done!