Thread: Painting AC Schnitzer Type 1 Monoblocks, need help on finding the right Silver

My Cars
    1998 BMW 328is

Painting AC Schnitzer Type 1 Monoblocks, need help on finding the right Silver

Hey Guys!

I'm hoping to be picking up a set of monoblocks very soon (if all works out) and was hoping if I could get some help in finding the best bright light silver spray paint I could use for these. I'm going to be priming, painting, and clear coating since they need new paint pretty badly, and I haven't had much luck in finding a color that was the closest to what they originally came in. I've heard of Wurth Silver Spray paint but im not sure how bright it is, and I might go with that but I'm looking for other options.

Looking for a color like this : https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1507/...b54851e8_c.jpg

Thanks!
    Last edited by finsky; 11-13-2018 at 04:45 PM.
    1998 BMW 328is | Racing Dynamics front strut bar | M3 Cross Brace | Borla Cat-back Exhaust | Fortune Auto 500 Coils w/ Swift Springs | M3 Side Moldings | ZKW Glass front headlights | Short shift kit | Euro 3-spoke custom steering wheel | Hamann brake handle/Pedal covers | Mulberry Door Panels | Max Velocity RS Lip | BBS RS198s

My Cars
    1998 bmw m3 sedan
    Look for Wurth silver
    98 M3 sedan

My Cars
    1998 BMW 328is
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJordanWhitte View Post
    Look for Wurth silver
    I'm just afraid its not bright enough since I haven't seen it done on these wheels, any other reputable alternatives or pictures of other paints? I've searched through countless threads, but I was hoping to narrow my search here.
    1998 BMW 328is | Racing Dynamics front strut bar | M3 Cross Brace | Borla Cat-back Exhaust | Fortune Auto 500 Coils w/ Swift Springs | M3 Side Moldings | ZKW Glass front headlights | Short shift kit | Euro 3-spoke custom steering wheel | Hamann brake handle/Pedal covers | Mulberry Door Panels | Max Velocity RS Lip | BBS RS198s

My Cars
    1998 bmw m3 sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by finsky View Post
    I'm just afraid its not bright enough since I haven't seen it done on these wheels, any other reputable alternatives or pictures of other paints? I've searched through countless threads, but I was hoping to narrow my search here.
    Most manufacturers have a generic silver they use so maybe Google a little bit and find a silver you’d like and then try to track down what color it is.
    98 M3 sedan

My Cars
    2003 TiAg 325iT
    Wutth silver is pretty bright. Was a perfect match on mid 90s BBs wheels... Which were very close in shade (if not exact) to same Era schnitzer

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
    eeeks!

---"Angelina" '96 328isA S/C (The *sirius* ubercommuter) ERT/Vortech V2SQ with other goodies
    "Man, your car is scary fast...." *Prestige BMW, Jan.18, 2003* (sold )

---"theStealth" '03 TiAg 325iT

---ZURV1 (Zombie Urban Response Vehicle) 2010 Chevy Surburban

---bmwcca member # 179740

My Cars
    1998 BMW 328is
    Quote Originally Posted by eeeks View Post
    Wutth silver is pretty bright. Was a perfect match on mid 90s BBs wheels... Which were very close in shade (if not exact) to same Era schnitzer

Do you happen to have any pictures? What color primer and clear coat did you use? Thanks!

My Cars
    2003 TiAg 325iT
    I actually don't anymore... But here's what I did..

I sanded down the scratches

Filled gouges with metal putty/filler.

Sanded everything down again... Feathered the repair areas into non damaged areas.

Shot wutth self etching metal primer... Did three coats.

Sanded again....

Shot 4 coats of Wurth wheel silver. I think I got mine at Bav Auto.

Then shot clear over it all...

I no longer have the computer where I had pix of this repair... And I don't have the car anymore. Sorry.

Good luck

eeeks!

---"Angelina" '96 328isA S/C (The *sirius* ubercommuter) ERT/Vortech V2SQ with other goodies

My Cars
    1998 BMW 328is
    Quote Originally Posted by eeeks View Post
    I actually don't anymore... But here's what I did..

I sanded down the scratches

Filled gouges with metal putty/filler.

Sanded everything down again... Feathered the repair areas into non damaged areas.

Shot wutth self etching metal primer... Did three coats.

Sanded again....

Shot 4 coats of Wurth wheel silver. I think I got mine at Bav Auto.

Then shot clear over it all...

I no longer have the computer where I had pix of this repair... And I don't have the car anymore. Sorry.

Good luck

Thanks for the help! How close would you say it was to the wheels in the picture on my first post? I'm just hoping for it to be a bright silver.

My Cars
    2003 TiAg 325iT
    I'd say dead on once you get some nice coats on it with clear

eeeks!