RM European Auto Parts

Thread: 2009 328xi Stuck Valve Cover

My Cars
    2009 BMW 328xi,2006 330i

2009 328xi Stuck Valve Cover

Hey folks..Im back after bit of absence.I have a recently acquired 2009 328xi.Im in the middle of a VCG job and very frustrated.I have loosened all bolts including center ones.Spent hours rechecking for missed bolts etc.Front part of cover is loose..middle to rear will not budge.Tried rubber malat,two by for piece and 3lb sledge...Nothing.Im wondering if there are some hidden screws?I noticed that little piece where one of the components of evap system or the bracket for the excentrice motor???Im baffled as I did my wifes 06 330 and was a piece of cake with the metal gasket...Im wondering why BMW went back to these rubber gaskets?Any advice on this would be vry appreciated.Cheers,PGM

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Go to www.realoem.com and enter the last 7 characters of the car’s vin. Hit enter and bookmark the page. Scroll down to engine. There you’ll find the parts breakdown. I bet the previous owner used some RTV on the gasket.

My Cars
    You did remove the eccentric shaft motor, right?

Assuming you actually loosened every single screw, including the three in the back (rear top corner, rear bottom corner, and one in the rear middle), then carefully use a small flathead screwdriver to pop the cover loose from the cylinder head. They are sometimes hard to get off.
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Hmmm, I replied to this yesterday, my post disappeared. Never mind, I basically said what White94Rx said.... except I thought about the three bolts in the middle..... I think it's 3 anyway....have another look, anyway.....assuming you've got the valvetronic motor out, of course.

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471

My Cars
    2009 BMW 328xi,2006 330i
    Hello..Thanks for the inf..As I was attempting some prying,I decided to remove a metal vaccume filter attached to the side of the head..what do ya know//Another screw not shown in any of the 8 ref. videos I looked at..Holy moly bat man...So went on to remove cover pretty easily.wifes 06 was a piece of cake compared to mine..To make things a little more interesting,car will not start now.I forgot to discooect the bat..May be a fuse or need to do the 30 sec reset?Maybe valvtronic motor not seated properly??Any tips very much appreciated.Cheers.P..Miss my e38 big time!!!!

- - - Updated - - -

ty..hidden screw..i found it..now the damn thing wont start..Geezzzz.P

- - - Updated - - -

Oh yes.Did wifes 06 330..Thought I was a master at this..lol...09 got some tweeking to break peoples %$##$.He He..I miss my e38.Cheers.P

- - - Updated - - -

Ty for the info.I will chech the websight as my baby she no start now after the job..WTF! I frgot to cut the power.May be a fuse or valvtronic...Or need 30 sec reset?Im havin fun though..not..lol.Cheers,Piero

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Starter working?
    Did you remember to tighten the 8mm coil grounds?
    Did you push the plugs firmly into the coils, while rotating the clasps? The clasps don't do it by themselves.
    Did you accidentally hit a wrench against the jumpstart terminal and cause sparks during the job?
    Did you unbolt a 10mm nut next to the computer box?
    Reconnect the big plastic pipe at the back of the valvecover?

It's not the valvetronic motor.
    "Computer resets" are not a valid technique on modern BMWs.

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    2009 BMW 328xi,2006 330i

No start after vcg

Quote Originally Posted by bmwdirtracer View Post
    Starter working?
    Did you remember to tighten the 8mm coil grounds?
    Did you push the plugs firmly into the coils, while rotating the clasps? The clasps don't do it by themselves.
    Did you accidentally hit a wrench against the jumpstart terminal and cause sparks during the job?
    Did you unbolt a 10mm nut next to the computer box?
    Reconnect the big plastic pipe at the back of the valvecover?

It's not the valvetronic motor.
    "Computer resets" are not a valid technique on modern BMWs.
    HI.Glad you are on here!! Yes to I made spard while undoing the ground cable??May caused a fuse to blow?Thanks,P..

My Cars
    2009 BMW 328xi,2006 330i
    Hi Chris..Im charging bat. today.Although I was jumping and seem to get enough power.Still no start.I had changed plugs do to black residue on mine which were 6 months old.Im thinking one of the 02 sensors is causing that.Plugs seemed shorter so I just installed new ngk iridiums.Well see after bat is charged.I noticed it wasnt making usual sound when cranking?Any tips would be appreciated.Thanks,P and yes I did connect pipe in back.Everything is as it was.I accidently caused spark when I undid ground wire?Hope I didnt blow a fuse.My fuse box is hard to access and read.Tiny little fuses.Cheers,Piero

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    The trouble is, Piero, that I've not actually had this happen to me....I just read about it once on this forum, a long time ago. As I recall, there WAS a fuse that blew, but it was in the trunk, above the battery. HOWEVER, I seem to recall that this was a no-crank situation....sorry, it's been so long since I read that, I can't recall the details. Maybe someone else will fill in the details?

All that said, you've added another item: the engine sounds different while cranking? This could well be a flooded engine. If an engine gets flooded, it washes the cylinder walls with gas, and this washes away compression, which not only prevents starting, but makes the engine sound quite different.

Do you have spark? Pull one coil pack, stick one of your old spark plugs in it, ground the threads of the spark plug, and crank the starter; see if you see spark.

I do not recommend swapping spark plugs in such a situation, unless you're absolutely sure that you use the BMW recommended spark plugs, exactly. NGK's are excellent plugs, but there is only ONE particular spec which is right for your engine. "Shorter" plugs indicate they are wrong.

When you pull that coil, pull the sparkplug too; see whether it smells like gas.

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    2009 BMW 328xi,2006 330i

no start

Quote Originally Posted by bmwdirtracer View Post
    The trouble is, Piero, that I've not actually had this happen to me....I just read about it once on this forum, a long time ago. As I recall, there WAS a fuse that blew, but it was in the trunk, above the battery. HOWEVER, I seem to recall that this was a no-crank situation....sorry, it's been so long since I read that, I can't recall the details. Maybe someone else will fill in the details?

All that said, you've added another item: the engine sounds different while cranking? This could well be a flooded engine. If an engine gets flooded, it washes the cylinder walls with gas, and this washes away compression, which not only prevents starting, but makes the engine sound quite different.

Do you have spark? Pull one coil pack, stick one of your old spark plugs in it, ground the threads of the spark plug, and crank the starter; see if you see spark.

I do not recommend swapping spark plugs in such a situation, unless you're absolutely sure that you use the BMW recommended spark plugs, exactly. NGK's are excellent plugs, but there is only ONE particular spec which is right for your engine. "Shorter" plugs indicate they are wrong.

When you pull that coil, pull the sparkplug too; see whether it smells like gas.
    Hi Chris.I just pulled the coil n plug.Plug does smell like gas..No one here to start the car with me to check coll for spark.I do that later?So you think may be flooded do to crank w/low voltage?Geez.Never had this happen and Ive owned quite a few bmw's and many other cars..Oh well.Cheers P

My Cars
    2009 BMW 328xi,2006 330i
    Hey.Thought just replayed..No see my message.Try again...I pulled coil n plug.Smells like gas..NGK correct plugs now.Will try spark test later as Im alone.Need someone to crank..Thanks for all your help.Ive owned many BMW's Never had this issue.Did wifes vcg and was a piece of cake...Thanks again,Piero

My Cars
    2009 BMW 328xi,2006 330i

My 2009 328xi No Spark After VCG

Hi folks.I finally solved my stuck vcg..There was a hidden screw not shown in ref.videos.Under the secondary pump.Go figure.However,I have a no start issue now?I did cause a spark while removing ground wire near ecu?I did basic gas and spark tests.I am getting fuel but no spark.Checked related fuses for ignition control and fuse good.I checked a bunch of the fuses and all good.I see a relay near ecu?i'm wondering if that got fouled.I checked all connections that were disturbed during vcg replacement and all seem secure.This thing has got me baffled as I'm not great with electrical.Maybe time for a diagnostic??Any advice would be greatly appreciated.Cheers,PGM

MauiM3Mania is offline Observer/Master Skeptic Moderator
    My Cars
    88M3 99M3 04M3 ITBx16
    PGM, it's best to keep the discussion of a particular topic/problem in the same thread. In other words, REPLY TO THREAD when you have something to add to the discussion.

Splitting up the dialogue leads to confusion and missing information for those that are reading and/or lending assistance.

Good luck on discovering the fix to your problem!
    04M3 TiAg 69k slick-top 3 pedal
    99M3 Cosmos 61k S50B32 euro 6Spd

88M3 AW 43k miles Project FS

WTB: 3.5" Eurosport/Conforti CAI

My Cars
    2009 BMW 328xi,2006 330i
    Thanks

My Cars
    2009 BMW 328xi,2006 330i

2009 328xi No Spark After VCG

HI.Im getting no spark after completing VCG.I accidently touched the positive cable when removing ground wire to get access to VC..Fuses are ok and getting gas?Any tips would be appreciated.Cheers,PGM

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    Which fuses did you check?
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    2009 BMW 328xi,2006 330i
    Hi.Thanks for reply. #51 which is for ignition coil module.I also pulled few others all good.Checked ecu relay.works??.Im at a loss here??Thanks,P

My Cars
    2009 BMW 328xi,2006 330i
    Hi again..Looks like I did the spark test incorrectly.Forgot to ground the spark plug..Any way,Im gonna check the fuel pump fuse and the injector rail again,,Thanks for reply.P

MauiM3Mania is offline Observer/Master Skeptic Moderator
    My Cars
    88M3 99M3 04M3 ITBx16
    uh..... PGM, it's best to keep the discussion of a particular topic/problem in the same thread. In other words, REPLY TO THREAD when you have something to add to the discussion.

Splitting up the dialogue leads to confusion and missing information for those that are reading and/or lending assistance.
    04M3 TiAg 69k slick-top 3 pedal
    99M3 Cosmos 61k S50B32 euro 6Spd

88M3 AW 43k miles Project FS

WTB: 3.5" Eurosport/Conforti CAI