Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New 540i6 Owner

My Cars
    2011 BMW X5 Xdrive50i

New 540i6 Owner

Hello guys, I wanted to introduce myself and my new vehicle.

About a month ago, I picked up a 1995 540i6 car. I am near the Baltimore area, and drove all the way to Allentown PA (3hours) with a car trailer to get it. It needs some work, but it was in my price point of under 3500$. I was looking for a whole host of different vehicles, but when I came across this car, it fit everything I was looking for.

its an HE53, black leather, not sport seats. It has full suspension, and full exhaust, but it need a lot of little bits, such as interior work, HVAC minor things, door cards, and the body has dents and dings, but it is not horrible.

things wrong

• has seat twist
    • needs an alignment
    • blower works on high only intermittently
    • all 4 door cards are junk
    • rear window regulators are bad
    • SRS comes and goes, I would like to switch out to a non air bag dash, non air bag wheel, and remove all the SRS wiring
    • power mirrors are inop
    • A/C compressor doesn't engage
    • all 4 doors have dents
    • Passenger front fender has a 'dent' at the very tip where it meets the hood
    • hood has rust on it and the corner is dented where the fender is also
    • sometimes the tach will work, but register a lower then actual RPM
    • tires are flat spotted from sitting for over a year
    • telescoping column doesn't work

the unknowns,
    • it may be chipped, it has a fuel cutoff at 7,000 rpm
    • clutch, it feels good, it may have a lightened wheel, who knows

the good,
    • someone put aftermarket HID's on it
    • has an exhaust from the stock manifolds back, into a resonator, into straight pipe. I like the noise level, but I don't know how I feel about the overall sound, I may trade out the resonator for a nice muffler(s)
    • engine runs mostly smooth, good power, starts up well
    • has BBS knock off ASA wheels that look good
    • ABS works
    • traction control works
    • aftermarket bars
    • Eibachs and Bilstiens
    • came with an extra set of snow tires on 16" 5 spoke wheels
    • its a 540i6, from the factory!
    2011 BMX X5 Xdrive50i - 122K - No muffler, BMS Stage 1
    2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7L V8-Her stock DD
    1995 Ford Thunderbird 4.6 V8 LX - A bunch of mods BMW guys don't care about
    1995 BMW 540i6 - H&R Lowering Springs, Brillstein's, Racing Dynamics Bars, supersprint exhaust, UUC short throw

My Cars
    '95 C36 AMG
    Pics? Mileage? The list of wrongs isn't too bad, all common stuff. Good luck!

moroza is offline MORΩN ΛABIA BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E34T
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeyBimX5din View Post
    Hello guys, I wanted to introduce myself and my new vehicle.
    Welcome!

not sport seats.
    Interesting. Was it a 540iA with a manual swap, a 540iM with a seat swap, or a special order? What's the ride height? (You can also tell by the diameter of the axleshafts; 540iA were necked down to 27mm while 540iM were full-width 30mm but otherwise identical, and if someone swapped them in the course of a manual conversion, I'll eat my hat)

Decode the VIN (search online) for an options list.

has seat twist
    Searched for the cable fix?
    needs an alignment
    Don't overpay; only front toe is adjustable (except M5, or if you have aftermarket camber adjustments)
    blower works on high only intermittently
    But consistently on 1-3? Dirty switch, most likely.
    SRS comes and goes, I would like to switch out to a non air bag dash, non air bag wheel, and remove all the SRS wiring
    Easy to do except some of the wiring (left alone with no module, it's harmless except for one data link wire). Early facebombs caused unnecessary injuries in order to save unbelted lives.
    power mirrors are inop
    Check fuses first, switch second.
    A/C compressor doesn't engage
    Could be a few things, most likely that there's low or no refrigerant and the pressure safety switches are doing their job.
    sometimes the tach will work, but register a lower then actual RPM
    That's a new one. Check for bad wiring from the ECU but it's likely the cluster.
    clutch, it feels good, it may have a lightened wheel, who knows
    The difference is night and day if you've experienced both the stock dual-mass and a typical lightweight, but without that context it's less clear.
    has an exhaust from the stock manifolds back, into a resonator, into straight pipe. I like the noise level, but I don't know how I feel about the overall sound, I may trade out the resonator for a nice muffler(s)
    I recommend not. Resonator delete on a BMW invariably sounds raspy and awful.
    Last edited by moroza; 11-13-2018 at 08:28 PM.

My Cars
    E30/E32/F25
    I have 4 mint door panels if your looking
    Me E30 87/ 325i + F25 12/ M-Sport + E32 94/ 740i

G/F’s E34 92/ 525iT + F48 18/ X1

My Cars
    '94 530iT/A|'95 540iT/6
    Congrats on your new purchase! Moroza covered most of your issues very well.

I will add that cheaper aftermarket HID's ballasts often play around with the tach signal for an unkonwn reason. Remove the ballasts to test if this corrects your issue.

One of my e34's came with HID's and the cluster showed RPM's roughly half of what was expected. It was corrected once I removed the HID's and ballasts and switched back to OEM lights.

My Cars
    2011 BMW X5 Xdrive50i
    Quote Originally Posted by bblazen View Post
    Pics? Mileage? The list of wrongs isn't too bad, all common stuff. Good luck!
    I am at work and having some troubles linking the pictures, probably the security settings we have here.

Mileage is 181,XXX
    1995 BMW 540i6 - H&R Lowering Springs, Brillstein's, Racing Dynamics Bars, supersprint exhaust, UUC short throw

My Cars
    2011 BMW X5 Xdrive50i
    Quote Originally Posted by moroza View Post
    Welcome!

Interesting. Was it a 540iA with a manual swap, a 540iM with a seat swap, or a special order? What's the ride height? (You can also tell by the diameter of the axleshafts; 540iA were necked down to 27mm while 540iM were full-width 30mm but otherwise identical, and if someone swapped them in the course of a manual conversion, I'll eat my hat)

Decode the VIN (search online) for an options list.

Searched for the cable fix?

Don't overpay; only front toe is adjustable (except M5, or if you have aftermarket camber adjustments)

But consistently on 1-3? Dirty switch, most likely.

Easy to do except some of the wiring (left alone with no module, it's harmless except for one data link wire). Early facebombs caused unnecessary injuries in order to save unbelted lives.

Check fuses first, switch second.

Could be a few things, most likely that there's low or no refrigerant and the pressure safety switches are doing their job.

That's a new one. Check for bad wiring from the ECU but it's likely the cluster.

The difference is night and day if you've experienced both the stock dual-mass and a typical lightweight, but without that context it's less clear.

I recommend not. Resonator delete on a BMW invariably sounds raspy and awful.
    I was told it is a true 540i6. Doesn't matter to me either way, if it was swapped, it drives good enough my untrained e34 self that can't tell the difference

the seat twist , I honestly have not even adjusted the seat back, I have not done research on the fix yet.

the blower initially only worked on 4. Now it works on 1-3, but it will on occasion smell like burned wires, and the bearings chirp in the blower, I am going to replace the blower and the resistor.

the SRS delete comes after I source an early dash

the exhaust is not stock, I want to go through and redo the entire exhaust. I have an idea in my head for 3" single, but I am not even sure what is underneath there. I need to do some research on that, because it may be the fact this is just small displacement 4.0 V8, and it may sound good, for the size. I want the same decibel but a little more snorty, I like snorty raspy exhausts. My X5 sounds like insanity, and I like it. It makes me smile

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Montalbon View Post
    Congrats on your new purchase! Moroza covered most of your issues very well.

I will add that cheaper aftermarket HID's ballasts often play around with the tach signal for an unkonwn reason. Remove the ballasts to test if this corrects your issue.

One of my e34's came with HID's and the cluster showed RPM's roughly half of what was expected. It was corrected once I removed the HID's and ballasts and switched back to OEM lights.
    huh, that is something to consider. It only happens when it rains.

I need to find factory diagnostics manuals

My Cars
    E34T

My Cars
    2011 BMW X5 Xdrive50i
    Quote Originally Posted by moroza View Post
    thanks, I have honestly seen that before, but didn't download the files, as at the time I didn't have an E34.

that is just the factory wiring diagrams right, not the service / repair manual from the factory?
    Last edited by JoeyBimX5din; 11-16-2018 at 11:21 AM.

My Cars
    '06 X5/6spd 3.0
    If you're looking for a raspier exhaust note then deleting the resonator will definitely get you to your destination.
    Those PDFs contain very comprehensive wiring diagrams, but there are also larger scale schematics in the back of the Bentley repair manual, which you'll want to get your hands on sooner rather than later.
    Be very weary of burning smells from the HVAC. There have been multiple blower motor related dash fires over the years here.
    As always Moroza covered pretty much everything you'll want to start with.
    Welcome to the boards. Nice to see a new 540/6. Those definitely are not around and changing hands like they used to be.

My Cars
    E34T
    PM me for a copy of the factory service manual, which to be honest isn't very good.

Quote Originally Posted by bigsixe34 View Post
    Be very wary of burning smells from the HVAC. There have been multiple blower motor related dash fires over the years here.
    Good call. I get weary of saying this, but it's the single most common cause of E34 fires, and likely for all vehicles, so carry a fire extinguisher in all vehicles that have heat-generating or flammable parts, regardless of age or type.
    Last edited by moroza; 11-16-2018 at 03:30 PM.

My Cars
    '06 X5/6spd 3.0
    I 100% deserve that for being such a vigilant member of the Grammar PD all this time.

My Cars
    2011 BMW X5 Xdrive50i
    If you're looking for a raspier exhaust note then deleting the resonator will definitely get you to your destination.
    Those PDFs contain very comprehensive wiring diagrams, but there are also larger scale schematics in the back of the Bentley repair manual, which you'll want to get your hands on sooner rather than later.
    Be very weary of burning smells from the HVAC. There have been multiple blower motor related dash fires over the years here.
    As always Moroza covered pretty much everything you'll want to start with.
    Welcome to the boards. Nice to see a new 540/6. Those definitely are not around and changing hands like they used to be.
    The car has a full aftermarket exhaust. I just want to go about redoing it, possibly running cats, pipes, then mufflers, rather then the current, cats and resonators. It is not a bad tone, I just think it might not be where I want it, the car kind of sounds exotic, rather then an obvious v8. I think I need to hear some in person to see what kind of setup I want to go with

My Cars
    2011 BMW X5 Xdrive50i
    update, the blower has all together quit. I am ordered a motor and a cheap resistor. If the resistor ohms out good I will reuse the one in there.

My Cars
    '06 X5/6spd 3.0
    ^For what it’s worth, I believe the resistor is / was the common culprit with the dash fires. It overheats and ignites dusty crap that managed its way in there. Replace it too if you’re going in.

^^You got me with "Obvious V8". Like an LS? Going from resonator & pipes to pipes & muffler will definitely make it sound raspy / pseudo-American in a way you don’t have now. What are you hearing in your X5 note that isn’t there on the e34?
    I don't condone cat deletes on any street car, but removing them also adds a lot of grind to the note.

My Cars
    2011 BMW X5 Xdrive50i
    ^For what it’s worth, I believe the resistor is / was the common culprit with the dash fires. It overheats and ignites dusty crap that managed its way in there. Replace it too if you’re going in.

^^You got me with "Obvious V8". Like an LS? Going from resonator & pipes to pipes & muffler will definitely make it sound raspy / pseudo-American in a way you don’t have now. What are you hearing in your X5 note that isn’t there on the e34?
    I don't condone cat deletes on any street car, but removing them also adds a lot of grind to the note.
    I don't consider a worked up LS as my favorite sound. It is hard to describe what my X sounds like, but I know I don't want as much physical sound from the 5 as I have in the X (wich is super bassakwards as the X is my daily). The X changes characteristics depending on where the boost is, actually when it is in high boost the sound mellows out but it just sounds ferocious.

I believe if I go with cats and change the resonator out for a muffler(s) I will gain the sounds I want

My Cars
    4.9L 540i/Porsche 997
    Welcome to the E34 540i/6 club. Short shift kit is a lot of fun, also larger sway bars and sport shocks and springs really tighten up the body roll a lot. I removed the cats and tired Supersprint mufflers (too quite) and went with Eisenmann, but they are spendy. Car sounds like a cross between a Ferrari and 'Vette. Love it! I also had a center free flow resonator to kill the highway drone, but with my new turbo system removed it. Anyways, good luck, and remember aftermarket stuff does not add value if you decide to sell down the road. I modified my car because it is a keeper, more so than my Porsche 997 Carrera S.
    22RPD Tuning '95 540i/6 custom turbo mit Borg Warner S400sxe/Rebello Racing 4.9L M62/JE pistons/Arrow rods/custom cams/S62 crankshaft/Darton sleeved/Focal custom stereo
    Porsche 996 Turbo Evosport GT 700-[700hp]-my daily

My Cars
    '06 X5/6spd 3.0
    I believe if I go with cats and change the resonator out for a muffler(s) I will gain the sounds I want
    Sounds like it, yeah.
    Like you said turbos have a big dampening effect on the tone so it actually may end up sounding meaner up top than your X.

My Cars
    2011 BMW X5 Xdrive50i
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmyz66 View Post
    Welcome to the E34 540i/6 club. Short shift kit is a lot of fun, also larger sway bars and sport shocks and springs really tighten up the body roll a lot. I removed the cats and tired Supersprint mufflers (too quite) and went with Eisenmann, but they are spendy. Car sounds like a cross between a Ferrari and 'Vette. Love it! I also had a center free flow resonator to kill the highway drone, but with my new turbo system removed it. Anyways, good luck, and remember aftermarket stuff does not add value if you decide to sell down the road. I modified my car because it is a keeper, more so than my Porsche 997 Carrera S.
    I do believe the theory of aftermarket stuff does not add value has been put to the wayside by my generation. I know that fixing a bunch of broken little items does add value, so that is the direction I am headed. I also know that some aftermarket mods only adds a little bit of value, not a dollar for dollar type of investment, but value on these cars seems to vary pretty wildly anyway. I plan to keep the car a while, this to me is the true BMW car, as when I was old enough to like the idea of BMW saw this car as kind of the sport flagship of the marque.

I was thinking of just getting rid of the resonator and going with a magnaflow and see what the sound morfs into from there.

- - - Updated - - -

Sounds like it, yeah.
    Like you said turbos have a big dampening effect on the tone so it actually may end up sounding meaner up top than your X.
    I really hope not. I like the civility sound of the car. My x with just the muffler removed has a big roar

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyz66 View Post
    thanks for the welcome! I forgot that part

My Cars
    2011 BMW X5 Xdrive50i
    blower is done, I did the resistor since it was cheap. The other blower probably could have kept going a bit if I kept throwing fuses at it, but the bearing in the motor, or the windings and rotor had damage, it was difficult to turn by hand compared to the new one.

It did not take the many hours I expected it to like the one M5 owner had said when he did his. I am out of touch with my inner mechanic being stuck in the shop office and telling mechanics what to do, but it took me about an hour to do including the resistor.

a question about E34 fires,

I know that fires can happen, but if its a fused circuit (30amp in this case) I wonder how people can get to the point where a fire happens. My 30 amp fuse blew when my blower motor had a real large voltage / amp drop, so it did its job. I get it with the resistors, as I did fish a bunch of junk out of the hole the resist was in, but I am curious if the motor can cause fires also

- - - Updated - - -

p.s. The HID lights do cause the tach to drop out, its only every once and a while, but that's the culprit. the other night I fired the car up, it came to life and the tach was good, then I flipped the lights on and it dropped into its wonky low reading.

My Cars
    2011 BMW X5 Xdrive50i
    here are the nut and bolt I am in need of a few of. I need at least two of the 7mm headed coarse bolts, and at least four of the plastic 10mm head nut for the firewall items.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    2011 BMW X5 Xdrive50i
    next on the list is alignment, rear door windows inop, and begin work on the rear suspension / subframe

My Cars
    E53, E38, E34, E39T
    You need a set of black sport seats, make the thing complete. There is a member here who has a pair for sale in GA. I think he goes by ATL530 or something of sort. He's on the FB pages, has a hellrot on black 540/6

Some Places remain unknown because no one has ventured forth. Others remain so because no one has ever come back......

My Cars
    E34T
    a question about E34 fires,

I know that fires can happen, but if its a fused circuit (30amp in this case) I wonder how people can get to the point where a fire happens. My 30 amp fuse blew when my blower motor had a real large voltage / amp drop, so it did its job. I get it with the resistors, as I did fish a bunch of junk out of the hole the resist was in, but I am curious if the motor can cause fires also
    Funny thing I've observed about how wiring (mostly on this car but also on others) appears to be designed: there seems to be an assumption that under normal conditions, current will be well below what the wire and the fuse can handle, and that any overload is going to be severe, like a short-circuit. However, countless slightly melted fuse holders and occasional damaged wiring - with intact OE-specified fuses - suggest that OE wiring designs often don't account for slight overload. I suspect the reason is that wiring is sized to be the smallest possible that will deliver the required current, with primary focus on acceptable voltage drop, instead of on how little heat the wire can generate or how much it can absorb.

For illustrative purposes, pulling numbers out of where the sun don't shine...
    0.75mm wire over 3 meters can draw 5 amps before the insulation starts slow-cooking (hardening), 7 amps before the 13.0V at the source becomes an unacceptable 11.0V at the consumer, 15A before insulation starts fast-cooking (melting), and 50A before the conductor itself melts. When it's feeding a 3 amp fuel pump, everything's hunky-dory. If it develops a short, its 10A fuse blows and everything else is saved. If it's asked to feed a 6 amp pump, this wiring can overheat and become damaged, especially anywhere it has a spot of higher resistance - connectors, tight bends, pigtail splices. Insulation that gets baked hard is prone to cracking, which then leads to the conductor fatiguing from lack of support (even if it doesn't flex in use, the vibrations in a car can fatigue it; that's why cars don't use solid conductor wire), which leads to a partial and eventually a full break. Meanwhile there may be areas with melted grommets, plastic connectors, or the wire slightly stuck to adjacent wires in a harness, and the 7.5 or 10A fuse may slightly melt its housing but remain unblown.

The above was written in response to an aftermarket fuelpump not working correctly, but same idea applies. Just replace "3 amp fuel pump" with "fresh blower motor" and "6 amp pump" with "worn blower motor that draws more current".
    Last edited by moroza; 12-31-2018 at 01:58 PM.

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 Coupe
    Never understood the fascination with sport seats. They're exactly the same but without the armrest from what I've seen. If they were like legit bucket seats it would make sense, but it seems like more of an armrest delete than anything and I'm not sure why I'd want to do that.

My Z3 has no armrest and I much prefer having one, especially for longer trips

Quote Originally Posted by Trasportador View Post
    You need a set of black sport seats, make the thing complete. There is a member here who has a pair for sale in GA. I think he goes by ATL530 or something of sort. He's on the FB pages, has a hellrot on black 540/6

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast