Thread: Amplifier replacement

My Cars
    2000 Z3 2.0 manual

Amplifier replacement

Hi everyone, I'm going to start upgrading the audio on my Z3 (2.0 2000 Manual Roadster) with the amplifier. No doubt new speakers will be next, but on their own, I know I won't be satisfied - I've tried this once before. I really want to see what difference a decent amp makes before I look at speakers and a proper subwoofer enclosure. (I know the stock speakers are not 4 Ohms and the new amp will run at that I guess, but even so, I want to see what improvement the amp alone provides.

What I would like to do is use the existing wiring (and speakers for now) and simply replace the amp in the boot/trunk with a good one. I don't have the Harmon Kardon system, but the mid-model HiFi, which has a single Alpine amp driving all speakers, including a philips subwoofer, which looks a little different to the HK one, but fits in the same place in the car.

I'm happy with the stock CD43 head unit and have a cheap bluetooth adapter that works nicely, so am not interested in running new RCA cables from an aftermarket head unit to the new amp. I want to stick with the existing wiring.

Ideally, I'd love the female connector that is in the amp, with pigtail wires so that I can avoid cutting the wiring loom. I think finding this is VERY unlikely as it is a pretty unique plug. (I guess I could track down a broken Alpine amp and sacrifice it to get the plug....if anyone has a dead amp, please let me know!!) More likely, I will need to cut or tap the individual wires in the loom in the boot/trunk and connect the inputs and outputs to the new amp.

So my question is, does anyone have the colours for this wiring loom that passes into the Alpine amp so I know what to tap? It could be the colour coding is the similar to the Harman Kardon setup, but I don't know and google has failed me with a definitive picture.

Does anyone have experience with this?

Thanks!!!

Jeff
    Last edited by mobilenet; 11-13-2018 at 04:07 AM.

My Cars
    2000 m roadster 2010 x3
    Check the website "wedophones".com for a wiring diagram

My Cars
    2001 M Roadster

My Cars
    2000 Z3 2.0 manual
    thanks guys. No luck as yet, but will keep searching. (that second site seems a little suspicious DimrBimmer. Have you signed up to it?)

My Cars
    2001 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by mobilenet View Post
    thanks guys. No luck as yet, but will keep searching. (that second site seems a little suspicious DimrBimmer. Have you signed up to it?)
    I didn’t. But I was able to bring up some images of z3 alpine stereo back with pinout and explication what pin is what.

- - - Updated - - -

Disable JavaScript or get a web browser that lets you toggle text only browsing on and off. It should land you on the page without a pop up and all diagrams. I use TextBrowser on my iPhone.

My Cars
    2000 Z3 2.0 manual
    Quote Originally Posted by DimrBimmer View Post
    I didn’t. But I was able to bring up some images of z3 alpine stereo back with pinout and explication what pin is what.

- - - Updated - - -

Disable JavaScript or get a web browser that lets you toggle text only browsing on and off. It should land you on the page without a pop up and all diagrams. I use TextBrowser on my iPhone.
    Thanks I'll see if I can do that. I was a little suspicious that they were putting other car diags and just labelling them Z3 when I looked.

My Cars
    2000 2.3 Z3, 2007 328xi
    No offense:
    -You should really start with the speakers especially if they are original.

-There are 2 amps that come with HK (at least USA) unit - so you may also have a subwoofer amp.

The only original component I have left is the multi channel amp - which when fed by the speaker out (hi level) from head unit is a glorified active crossover..

“Great wisdom is generous; petty wisdom is contentious.” 无为

My Cars
    2000 m roadster 2010 x3

My Cars
    2000 Z3 2.0 manual
    Quote Originally Posted by z3forlife View Post
    Excellent!

Think I've found the plug pinouts now.

Fig 2 on the very last page of that document is a perfect match to the socket on the back of the amp.

Thanks.

My Cars
    2000 Z3 2.0 manual
    Quote Originally Posted by ZGator View Post
    No offense:
    -You should really start with the speakers especially if they are original.

-There are 2 amps that come with HK (at least USA) unit - so you may also have a subwoofer amp.

The only original component I have left is the multi channel amp - which when fed by the speaker out (hi level) from head unit is a glorified active crossover..
    No offence taken. I did try swapping the kick panel speakers for some 5.25 inch JL Audio ones about a year ago, but didn't think there was a significant improvement over stock, so took them back to the store.

Only the one amp in my non-HK setup I think.