Thread: E60 M5 vs E46 M3

My Cars
    1974 estoril blue 2002

E60 M5 vs E46 M3

After many, many different bmws over the years (along with countless non-bmws) I finally reached my "pot-o-gold" at the end of the rainbow... My e60 alpine white M5 with a 6spd transmission! There were only about 1300 of these ever produced with a 6spd transmission and a much smaller amount of them being in alpine white so this car is truly my unicorn.
    After about a year of owning this beast I ended up running into an old childhood friend that I hadn't seen in almost 10 years who is also a huge car guy so I invited him to the next cars and coffee. The day finally came and I went to pick him up bright and early that morning. After about 15 minutes of redlining the back roads we got to the interstate and I figured I would take it easy since it was early on a Sunday morning. Just then I notice a beautiful e46 M3 appear out of no where right on my rear end... Well, forget taking it easy. I'm not about to be over taken by an inline 6 in my massive v10, especially not in front of my long time bro! My exhaust cutouts were already wide open and when I down shifted from 5th to 3rd it was like the screams of the gods. It was on now! I ran ran 3rd all the way up to redline and dropped it into 4th and kept going. I will give it to the m3, he kept very close the entire time but he was not able to pull on me at all. At about 6k rpms in 4th I peeked at the heads up display and we were now doing 145 in a 55. In a split second I thought, "I have 2 more gears left to go and I can just continue to destroy this guy" but Instead I decide to let off and take it easy again... Well, I wish i had decided to do that 30 seconds earlier because now I look over and there is a cop radaring right in front of us. I just looked over to my buddy and said "sorry man, we're going to jail now, well, at least I am". In hindsight I most likely could have kept right on the gas pedal and the cop would have picked up the m3 but I have to much to live for in life, wife, kids, homes, buisness... I can't take the risk of bigger charges so I decide to keep my foot off the gas. As soon as i pass the cop he pulls out right in between me and the m3 and it looks like he's slowing down to get him and I started to feel relief. Then, NOPE! Just as fast as that m3 was on my @ss now it was the cop. I pull over with my window down hoping to be able to reason with the guy but to my disappointment he wasn't hearing a single word of it. He had one cuff on me before the door was even open. As the door opens and he's getting that second cuff on me I see that damn m3 creep on by... It looks like he won after all... He made it to cars and coffee that morning (only 3 exits away) and I spent 8 horrible hours in Dekalb county jail. Apparently my buddy was on probation and there was an error in the system saying he hadn't reported so he went to jail also. As I sat in the back seat of the police car watching some chump load my baby up onto a wrecker I was trying to work through how I was going to deal with this one and i came to the conclusion that it had to start with selling my baby...
    Now my toy is a 1974 estoril blue bmw 2002 with about 90hp...no more kill stories for me but I need to stay out of trouble.
    BTW... After jumping through tons of hoops and playing the system just right I got zero points on my license!
    Be safe out there guys.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by builtinbetter; 11-12-2018 at 08:02 PM.

My Cars
    99 M3 / 95 325i
    Man. On 285 or 400? I have gotten pretty lucky not getting pulled over yet on those roads *fingers crossed*.
    -Chris

My Cars
    1974 estoril blue 2002
    On 285 just a couple exits away from the jail.
    I got lucky for many years also until my luck ran out...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2006 BMW 650I
    “Be safe out there guys.”

Not trying to be that guy, but will be....Perhaps it would be best to that idiotic driving on a track...