Thread: transmission fault...

My Cars
    02 bmw x5 04 bmw 530i

transmission fault...

hello ive got an 04 530i that keeps throwing the transmission fault code the second i start it up so my first thoughts were research research like i did i threw in a new tranny pan and fluid filled it properly on jack stands and let er cool down started it up no transmission fault code and shifts smooth threw all gears i was pumped untill an hour later started it up in the garage and walla transmission fault codes back on and i only have like 2 or 3 gears... so more research hmmm ok just to mention the weird part... let it warm up or even take it out for a drive for 10 to 15 minutes shut it down start er back up in a minute and no transmission fault codes are displayed and ive got all gears... weird its like the second it works up everythings good... next step i bought all new zf solinoids and gaskets for everything pulled the pan back off revoved the machtronics body and replaced all solinoids and gaskets threw it all back together thinking hell ya this has got to fix it and obviously since things were warm while filling fluid i got no codes at all im thinking awesome an hour later i go out and start it up and bam transmission fault code again... ive dumped 800 into new pan and fluid new solinoids and gaskets... if anyone has any sugestions id love to here them its driving me crazy and once again ill mention that the second it warms up and restarted everything is fine weird...

My Cars
    81,e21 orig ownr&05,e60
    With any luck, you didn't top up the fluid at the proper temperature. Take a look at this ZF 6HP series fluid change procedure video, in the first post.
    https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh....php?t=1253416

Also read the PDF in post #33. Good information across the board on the e-60 platform.
    Last edited by jtbgonesailing; 11-12-2018 at 08:25 PM.

My Cars
    02 bmw x5 04 bmw 530i
    Quote Originally Posted by jtbgonesailing View Post
    With any luck, you didn't top up the fluid at the proper temperature. Take a look at this ZF 6HP series fluid change procedure video, in the first post.
    https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh....php?t=1253416

Also read the PDF in post #33. Good information across the board on the e-60 platform.
    yup she was to temp when filling it by the time it was finally pouring out it was hot hot on the hands

My Cars
    81,e21 orig ownr&05,e60
    Quote Originally Posted by lifesk8r4 View Post
    yup she was to temp when filling it by the time it was finally pouring out it was hot hot on the hands
    30C to 40C final fill temperature. That's 86F to 104F max. The temperature jumps up once it hits 30C.

Once the error codes are cleared, the transmission control module adaptation must be reset. The transmission relearns shift fluid pressures for proper clutch pack operation. This is required with component part and fluid replacement.

A scan/coding tool is needed. Either BMW software like ISTA, INPA, NCSexpert or one of the other PC based systems. There are also OBD based tools like Carly for BMW, a smartphone app available through your Android or iOS App Store.
    Last edited by jtbgonesailing; 11-12-2018 at 09:19 PM.