Thread: Tq converter install error:FIX?

My Cars
    2000 540iT sport

Tq converter install error:FIX?

Im starting a new thread, since my previous one was for what I was hopping was a successful out come; obviously it wasnt

Sigh,
    Ok so im guessing I didn't have the TQ converter properly seated. I just saw a video that says there are TWO steps you must seat through, first the splines THEN the slots. I only did one.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7klzEV0kng

So question A. can I slide the trans back and seat it now?? (im guessing not)
    B. what/how much damage is done?

C. I have the (second) trans I pulled out of the car, can I simply pull the bell housing off (with pump and all) of it and swap them? (which Im hoping i could do under the car since its going to be on jack stands)

here are the details of the install/drive
    the bell housing didnt fully meet up (it did up top since the engine was tilted) there was about a 1/4 gap on the bottom figured It pull it together with the bolts.
    the flywheel and TQ didnt slide (to line up the holes) should they? I mean normally if you remove the 4 bolts joining them will they freely move independently ?

I drove it 50 miles over several days, almost all city driving except for about 10 hwy miles seemed like it was working ok, definitely no leaks before then, as i was checking.
    When it "failed", it was right after the DSC went on after some rear wheel slippage on accelerating from a stop light in the snow about 2 blocks later as i was turning into an apt complex I could tell something was off. car was still moving, but acting funny, then the "trans failsafe" warning came on.
    So i tried to park it, Had to back up slightly, so I did, then put back in drive to pull in the spot, and no forward movement. put in park turned car off for a few seconds, then restarted and the car moved forward into the spot. and thats where I left it.
    I could see a trail of fluid all down the drive way of this apt complex.

Curious as to why it would keep moving if the pump failed?
    Why is it leaking? I mean the seal is still there, what would damage the seal? isn't the shaft still centered? (I can understand the pump/tab failure) Do I need to replace the seal?(it was a brand new seal)

thanks for the help, this has been SO stressful(and on the day I finally stated to think, "hey maybe THIS trans IS going to work!!)
    Last edited by MD540iT; 11-12-2018 at 06:25 AM.

My Cars
    BMW
    If the fluid is consistently leaking from the bellhousing then you likely have pulled the seal out of the pump, or you have damaged the spring inside the seal which actually maintains the seal around the converter shaft. If your torque converter was improperly installed its likely not spinning flush with the pump and holding against the seal on one side. Who knows what damage you caused to the pump already, but the only way you will know is by pulling it again.

The one tool I regret not having for this job when enduring this punishment was an actual transmission jack. There is a reason they have so many different controls on the plate, and thats so you can properly angle the transmission and get it in place gracefully without yanking it around and expecting the bolts to seat the bellhousing flush. The only issue is using one of these under a car on jack stands.

Good luck with your car, sounds like the odds are against you with living in an apartment complex. If you can afford it you might have to bite the bullet and let a professional transmission shop handle it for you. Or manual swap it:|

My Cars
    2000 540iT sport
    yeah, i know, But im curious as to why it didn't happen immediately? Im was pretty sure the TQ was all the way in.
    Can anyone confirm if it should have 2 steps?
    (i took the trans i previously pulled out and the TQ converter, and "practiced" putting it back in yesterday, just to see, and I could only get it to drop in once, however it did still have a lot of slop, is that they way it is?)
    Im working in a friend's garage. I am using a motorcycle jack to handle the trans.

- - - Updated - - -

I didnt get to take a look at it yet, But what im curious about, is why it seemed to happen right after the DSC activated??

I am almost hoping its the TQ-C not being installed right, because if it was installed properly and the inner seal blew, then why did it blow and how to make sure it doesn't happen again??

My Cars
    BMW
    Pretty sure the converter has 3 steps before its seated all the way.

My Cars
    2000 540iT sport
    Well, I might have gotten lucky this time.
    I was just about to drop the trans, pulled everything off, and was beginning to unbolt the trans, so I go around the front to unbolt the TQ bolts, and pull of the rubber plug on the bottom of the bell housing..... It's dry. Hmmmmmm,I'd think it would be wet, actually, id think it would be soaked, and I don't see a drop!

Then I notice there is fluid on front of the engine, I start looking at one of the connections (stupid quick connect) looks funky, so I grab it and it jiggles and is loose, and it's not completely seated, so I pull on it and it comes off easily with the plastic clip in two pieces.

SO, it looks like that was the culprit!
    Now hopefully I can fix that fill it up and drive away!!