Thread: Who Can Find This Trim Piece With Louvers?

My Cars
    E34 540i 6sp 1995-03-28

Who Can Find This Trim Piece With Louvers?

This piece is a cover for the space to the left of the Fog lamps switch on cars without EDC. Normally it is solid as in this image. On my last 540 this piece was like a grill cover in that it had louvers that allowed me to position the mic for the GROM hands-free Bluetooth adapter behind it. I neglected to take it from the car after the last accident and have yet to find another.. It did not appear to have been self made it looked very much to me that it was manufactured like that.. any ideas?Attachment 640233

My Cars
    Mostly in one piece.
    You mean something like this?
    https://imgur.com/4uxDxi0

But this particular piece is a whole microphone assembly for the hands free telephone unit in the e34, as far as I know in Euro models it sits just below the upper dashboard on the right side of the wheel in the wood trim piece and would be definitely too wide to sit beside the fo. Haven't see any that'd be on the left side of the fog light switch. I know either it's a blank piece or a headlight levelling switch on ECE models. Never seen a piece with a grill on it. The parts catalog doesn't show it either, unless it's the P/N 65121384407 noted as Frame, Fading control.
    Last edited by Irwie'C; 11-11-2018 at 09:12 PM.

My Cars
    E34 540i 6sp 1995-03-28
    Quote Originally Posted by Irwie'C View Post
    You mean something like this?
    https://imgur.com/4uxDxi0

But this particular piece is a whole microphone assembly for the hands free telephone unit in the e34, as far as I know in Euro models it sits just below the upper dashboard on the right side of the wheel in the wood trim piece and would be definitely too wide to sit beside the fo. Haven't see any that'd be on the left side of the fog light switch. I know either it's a blank piece or a headlight leveling switch on ECE models. Never seen a piece with a grill on it. The parts catalog doesn't show it either, unless it's the P/N 65121384407 noted as Frame, Fading control.
    It goes in the left hand opening here where the fog lamp switch in in the right.
    I think that's it... in my old car recently totaled there was nothing attached to the rear of it so I just fitted the mic behind it.. I'll try looking on euro ebay. thanksAttachment 640241 #65618356079
    Last edited by jehu; 11-11-2018 at 09:59 PM.

My Cars
    e34 540ia/e32 740il
    You're correct, the "grill" trim piece goes in the hole to the left of the fog light switch. My e34 540i had this (instead of the blank cover). My car had the telephone and the grill was the mic when you turned on speakerphone. I'm not sure if you can get the slotted cover piece without the microphone.

My Cars
    E34 540i 6sp 1995-03-28
    Quote Originally Posted by m60power View Post
    You're correct, the "grill" trim piece goes in the hole to the left of the fog light switch. My e34 540i had this (instead of the blank cover). My car had the telephone and the grill was the mic when you turned on speakerphone. I'm not sure if you can get the slotted cover piece without the microphone.
    Apparently you can just pop the mic out from the cover insert .. seems the whole part is NLA and I found nothing anywhere for sale using the part number .. the category is only shown under the Euro market parts also... "communication" Oh well may just have to mod the blank insert I have maybe drill a bunch of small holes through it...

My Cars
    '91 525i (5sp)
    Mine has it, as it also had all the wiring for the phone. Maybe you can adapt one from newer models (the ones that go on the sunroof trim panel)?

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    E39s use a similar part mounted at the sunroof switch cover.
    I have one of these in front of me, the PN is 51 44 8 160 840, looks to still be available from BMW for a few $. It will require a cutout 21x54mm. I also remember seeing markings on the back of E34 sunroof switch covers for additional cut outs although I've never seen anything other than the SR switch there.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    E34 540i 6sp 1995-03-28
    Quote Originally Posted by ross1 View Post
    E39s use a similar part mounted at the sunroof switch cover.
    I have one of these in front of me, the PN is 51 44 8 160 840, looks to still be available from BMW for a few $. It will require a cutout 21x54mm. I also remember seeing markings on the back of E34 sunroof switch covers for additional cut outs although I've never seen anything other than the SR switch there.
    The GROM mic wire is pretty long . I have the unit in the dash so I might be able to run it up the A pillar and under the head liner ... you sure the e39 cover fits the e34? I've been without a cover for a while now so maybe kill two birds with one stone.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Quote Originally Posted by jehu View Post
    The GROM mic wire is pretty long . I have the unit in the dash so I might be able to run it up the A pillar and under the head liner ... you sure the e39 cover fits the e34? I've been without a cover for a while now so maybe kill two birds with one stone.
    NO, I don't know that it fits any of the prescribed cutouts but it is easy enough to cut your own if not. I provided the dimensions in case you wished to check your cover(Guess you can't do that.) or have another spot in mind.
    I have a crappy old SR Sw cover somewhere I could look at but I'm not going to mess with the nice one in my car.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue