Thread: Power loss and bad ticking after head gasket change

My Cars
    1987 325i

Power loss and bad ticking after head gasket change

https://youtu.be/VKfgiEBO7Io Here’s a link to the sound I just changed the head gasket and after I got it all back together the car has major power loss and a bad ticking noise I checked the valves there all in spec around 0.10 but the car sounding almost like a diesel I really need some help figuring this out the sound is coming from either cylinder 6 or 5
    Last edited by Steven1414; 11-11-2018 at 03:20 PM.

My Cars
    No e30s, again :(
    Ruh roh. Recheck your timing marks
    No e30s again.

My Cars
    1988 BMW 325i Cabro
    If it were out of time, I wouldn't think it would run or idle.

Are all exhaust manifold / intake manifold bolts tight ... all spark plugs tight? Also, you said all the valves are at .010" ... how did you adjust the valves, what procedure?

My Cars
    90 ix, 91 i & ic, 02 325
    No idea on Background of engine- so I would recheck timing marks (as suggested) and do a quick compression check.

Report back with you findings.

My Cars
    1987 325i
    all the intake manifold bolts and spark plugs are tight and I adjusted the valves by the firing order and turning the cam to top dead center the timing is right I have checked that already i did lose 2 exhaust manifold bolts I will replace those and do a compression check
    Last edited by Steven1414; 11-12-2018 at 08:27 PM.

My Cars
    the car will run with the timing marks being off a little either way. does it start up nice and quick? if so, you are probably advanced in time. retarded timing usually makes cars start slow and feel powerless whereas being advanced a little usually causes quick starts and a feeling of peppiness but it makes the car run warmer. advancing the time, back in distributor days, was an easy way for a little quick power if you were dead stock. just grab your vacuum gage and set time according to that and you generally got a bit better gas mileage and better starts. but, since cars are ecu controlled now, and e30s don't have a distributor, it doesn't work anymore so you just have running issues if your time is off
    No e30s again.

My Cars
    1988 BMW 325i Cabro
    i did lose 2 exhaust manifold bolts I will replace those and do a compression check
    A loose exhaust manifold (because of loose or missing bolts) can cause a "ticking sound" ... and might even cause power loss.

My Cars
    90 ix, 91 i & ic, 02 325
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoffzie View Post
    A loose exhaust manifold (because of loose or missing bolts) can cause a "ticking sound" ... and might even cause power loss.
    Listening to the video - could be this - I agree secure the manifold next

My Cars
    e30s
    I replied to the other site you posted on. If the valve adjustment is bang on and you have bolted up the manifolds properly the only ticking you should be hearing is the injectors. as mentioned if there is excessive exhaust manifold leak you are losing back pressure and therefore power loss.

My Cars
    1987 325i
    Sorry if I sound stupid I am only 16 but could the back pressure issue cause major power loss like the car will almost stall out when trying to move it.

My Cars
    no, not that bad. like most people don't notice the power loss from an exhaust leak. borrow a vacuum gage from the local autoparts place and see what you are reading. google how to use a vacuum gage and it will help you sooooo much on engine questions on future vehicles. its one of the most useful gages you can buy
    No e30s again.

My Cars
    1988 BMW 325i Cabro
    If there's THAT much power loss ... obviously you have another problem (quite possibly your timing belt IS off slightly). Both a vacuum test and a compression test should narrow it down.

You might actually have TWO problems ... ticking because of missing exhaust manifold bolts ... and something else.

Why did you replace the head gasket in the first place? ... and was a broken timing belt involved in this at all?