Thread: Cannot Communicate with ABS Module after Repair

My Cars
    2001 BMW M5

Cannot Communicate with ABS Module after Repair

I had an error with my ABS Bosch 5.7 module on my BMW E39 (ABS, brakes and DSC lights on the dashboard) so I read out the error codes using BMW Scanner and saw it was a problem with the connection to the pressure sensor. After researching what the problem is and talking with repair shops, I disconnected my battery, removed the ABS module and sent it for repair to cheap-abs.com. I got the module back and mounted it again, reattached the battery and it seems to be working - all warning lights are out and ABS works fine (tested by hard breaking on slippery surface). However, now BMW Scanner (which could communicate with the module before the repair) does not recognize that the car has ABS and cannot connect to the ABS module (see screenshot before/after repair). I also tried communicating with it using INPA which also could connect to the car and other modules but gives an error when trying to connect to the ABS one (see second screenshot).

The car was not while the module was removed, battery was not connected. I also checked all fuses and they are fine. I've driven several hundred km/miles since then (there were some suggestions online that moving the car was required for the computers to start communicating again).

I cannot be completely sure if I received exactly my module back because the module has no serial number or other unique identification. However, the car does not show an error and I read in different forums that if the module is not bound to the car it will give errors and has to be reprogrammed by BMW. As I don't have those, I think it is the same one.

Also as there are no warning lights, the module might be communicating with the main computer but it might also be that the computer thinks there is no ABS module at all. That means if I get another error (like ABS sensor failing) I might not be informed and I won't even know.

Unfortunately, Matt Mallory, the guy at cheap-abs.com (bosch0004 on ebay) claims it is not his fault and does not want to help me (enough said about his "lifetime warranty") so I am trying to figure out the problem myself. Does anyone have an idea why this happened and how to fix it?

BMW Scanner before and after the repair:
    BMW Scanner Before and After Repair.png

INPA error when trying to communicate with the ABS module:
    INPAError.png
    Last edited by TheAvenger; 11-11-2018 at 11:09 AM.

My Cars
    2001 BMW M5
    Update: I started the ISTA-D diagnostics and I got somewhat different results: it finds the module but cannot identify it or communicate with it. Below are the screenshots. Does that bring any new ideas?

ISTA-D 1.png

ISTA-D 2.png

ISTA-D 3.png

My Cars
    2001 BMW M5
    I ended up buying another second hand module from Clemster on m5board.com, encoding it following this thread and aligning my steering sensor as described here. Now my car is running fine and all software detects the DSC module correctly.