Thread: 2011 335i Coolant reservoir leaking

My Cars
    2011 335i

2011 335i Coolant reservoir leaking

Hey all,

Does this look like just a bad reservoir or is this possible headgasket issues? My car is running a COBB stage 1 sport tune, and an aftermarket charge pipe. Im planning on taking my car in to a local indy shop come monday, just wanted to know if i should push for them to check head gasket issues.
    Car was low on coolant. Opened hood and saw pic 1. Added coolant, drove around, came back home and opened hood and saw pic 2. (there was also coolant underneath the wheelwell that I didnt get a picture of.

pic 1: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1UM...OYq2eY0vZzz14r
    pic 2: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1i3...5cxhBx4avm9M7r

My Cars
    2001 525it
    Your plastic tank is leaking when there new ther blade when they wear out there brown replace the tank and the small bleed hose the bleed hose is part of the upper radiation hose, this small,hose as a portion of ot that's plastic pipe that goes directly over the radiator and will crack and also leak. Ther is another hose on the bootom but it's has multiple connections and could be a pain to replace. I'm sure the head gasket is fine

My Cars
    e90 with Cobb, H&R, more
    Did you spill coolant when you were adding some? There's an obvious path from the filler cap to the edge of the tank in the second picture that isn't there in the first picture. If your tank is leaking coolant (or if your car is leaking coolant anywhere) it should be easy to see and smell if you open the hood right after you stop driving. That hose referenced in the post above isn't a bleed hose, it's the coolant overflow hose. But yes, it does often crack and leak.

I just replaced mine myself due to it being cracked and leaking. However, that hose holds very little pressure so only a small amount of coolant will leak if it is damaged. I was only losing maybe a cup every few hundred miles. Be careful when you remove the hose! The hose barb on the driver's side where the hose attaches to a plastic fitting is not very strong, and it can be almost impossible to NOT break it depending on the age of the car. Mine broke with just slight pressure while removing the hose from a fitting on the passenger side. However, rather than replacing the entire fitting the overflow hose goes into, which is a cheap part at only $35, I did a custom overflow line by tapping a new brass line into the existing fitting where the hose barb broke off. If you try and replace that entire fitting, you can open up a huge can of worms because the hoses have a tendency to degrade and become very sticky, which can make the plastic fittings they connect to very easy to break, especially since those fittings themselves also degrade over time as I said above. If you'd like info on doing the custom fix I did (which has worked perfectly for many miles), I'll be happy to provide details.
    Scott
    fast = good
    slow = bad
    See my old Porsche here...