Thread: Brake Line Adaptor

My Cars
    1993 525i 1995 553i

Brake Line Adaptor

I am trying to adapt a set of calipers from a Nissan 370Z to make a rear BBK. The calipers use a M10x1 Inverted flare fitting with female threads by means of a banjo bolt. I am trying to find some way to adapt the caliper to the stock brake line somehow. Does anyone know how to adapt the M10 inverted flare on the caliper to the M10 bubble flare on the lines? There is no M10 to M10 adapter that I am finding.
    95 E34 553i6 LS TR6060 Project
    93 E34 525iA Beater with no heater
    VANOS kicked in yo!

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Quote Originally Posted by XCRN View Post
    I am trying to adapt a set of calipers from a Nissan 370Z to make a rear BBK. The calipers use a M10x1 Inverted flare fitting with female threads by means of a banjo bolt. I am trying to find some way to adapt the caliper to the stock brake line somehow. Does anyone know how to adapt the M10 inverted flare on the caliper to the M10 bubble flare on the lines? There is no M10 to M10 adapter that I am finding.
    I'm confused, flare fitting or banjo?
    If wanting to screw a flare fitting in where the banjo screws in it won't work as there will be no flare in the caliper.
    Any competent hydraulic hose shop could fab up a hose.
    How does the "car end" of the Nissan hose terminate? If the thread size is same it is an easy matter to nip a bit off the line and re-flare to a bubble flare.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    1993 525i 1995 553i
    Quote Originally Posted by ross1 View Post
    I'm confused, flare fitting or banjo?
    If wanting to screw a flare fitting in where the banjo screws in it won't work as there will be no flare in the caliper.
    Any competent hydraulic hose shop could fab up a hose.
    How does the "car end" of the Nissan hose terminate? If the thread size is same it is an easy matter to nip a bit off the line and re-flare to a bubble flare.
    The Nissan caliper does use a banjo bolt but it also has a flare popping out on the inside of the port.

Here is a picture I found of it hooked up on a Nissan. I have no idea if this is a common thing in Japanese cars since my only experience was a 90 Accord back in highschool and I never opened the hydraulic system on it.

http://www.370zcoupe.com/tech-images...-brakes-13.jpg

Right now my current thought is a banjo to 3an fitting > 3an female both end hose > 3an to bubble flare adapter > to stock hard line on trailing arm.
    VANOS kicked in yo!

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    I'd like to see the flare. If indeed a proper flare this would indicate they use it some applications, no other reason for an additional machining step. Perhaps the Datsun boys will know more about that.
    Every one of those adapters is a potential failure point and will look Mickey Mouse as well.
    Keep it simple. A custom line will probably cost less than all that hardware too.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    1993 525i 1995 553i
    Quote Originally Posted by ross1 View Post
    I'd like to see the flare. If indeed a proper flare this would indicate they use it some applications, no other reason for an additional machining step. Perhaps the Datsun boys will know more about that.
    Every one of those adapters is a potential failure point and will look Mickey Mouse as well.
    Keep it simple. A custom line will probably cost less than all that hardware too.
    You are exactly right on the fewer fittings the better. I work as an Industrial Engineer in the heavy duty material handling industry and there is a reason some of these machines don’t rust since they are coated in hydraulic oil at all times because they use 4 different fittings to go to a different size.

But I will see if there is someone that can make that hose somewhere. I attatched a picture of the port of the actual caliper I am using. It is hard to tell in the picture but it is flared and the cone is pointing towards outside the port or you in that picture.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by XCRN; 11-11-2018 at 09:02 PM.
    VANOS kicked in yo!

My Cars
    Sundry old Grrrrmans
    If you can’t find a local shop for it, we recommend Spiegler. We’ve always been impressed with their custom lines, and will be carrying them for all of our brake line offerings.
    - Brent
    www.angry-ass.com

Quote Originally Posted by danespann View Post
    Every E34 needs the same things in the end.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Quote Originally Posted by XCRN View Post
    You are exactly right on the fewer fittings the better. I work as an Industrial Engineer in the heavy duty material handling industry and there is a reason some of these machines don’t rust since they are coated in hydraulic oil at all times because they use 4 different fittings to go to a different size.

But I will see if there is someone that can make that hose somewhere. I attatched a picture of the port of the actual caliper I am using. It is hard to tell in the picture but it is flared and the cone is pointing towards outside the port or you in that picture.
    Wow, that does sure look like it is intended as a seat for a flared tube. I think the Nissan folks will know more than us here.
    Have you tried fooling around with parts catalogs? Given a part # for the caliper you might be able to then find all of it's applications. I have to think that flare is utilized in one of them and the appropriate brake hose could be the elegant solution.

My Cars
    94 530it
    Your looking at internet images that are misleading since they are showing braided lines attached to the caliper. The factory Nissan caliper used a short steel hard line threaded into the caliper and goes straight to a small bracket that bolts to the back of the caliper in the threaded holes near the R and L markings. Then it has the rubber line going to the body. The aftermarket is using the banjo bolt style stainless lines.
    I found a decent picture of this steel line and brackets, but can't seem to attach it here using my phone.
    Last edited by 530IT; 11-20-2018 at 12:01 AM.