Thread: ABS Codes on my 99 M3

My Cars
    99 M3, 09 GTI

ABS Codes on my 99 M3

The ABS light recently started to come on and off on my 99 M3. Somedays its on and others it is off, the car has 64k on it and Im the original owner. I scanned the car with INPA and got the following codes:

145 - ABS Pump
    209 - ASC - throttle valve potentiometer

The ASC TB has been removed from the car since 2003, the actuator is still plugged in. When I activate the ABS pump with INPA it works on and off. I did some research and some people said ABS pump relay may be the cause so i replaced with new one and Im still getting the ABS light on and off. I see that the ABS pumps in these cars have had internal wiring issues over time could this be the culprit. Does anyone have any other suggestions on where to look or is the ABS pump on the way out? Can the ABS pump be repaired, I know this a popular service in older VWs.
    1999 BMW M3 (Lightly Modded)

German Engineering Baby!!!!

My Cars
    S54 E36 M3, E32 740il
    Quote Originally Posted by 99mtres View Post
    The ABS light recently started to come on and off on my 99 M3. Somedays its on and others it is off, the car has 64k on it and Im the original owner. I scanned the car with INPA and got the following codes:

145 - ABS Pump
    209 - ASC - throttle valve potentiometer

The ASC TB has been removed from the car since 2003, the actuator is still plugged in. When I activate the ABS pump with INPA it works on and off. I did some research and some people said ABS pump relay may be the cause so i replaced with new one and Im still getting the ABS light on and off. I see that the ABS pumps in these cars have had internal wiring issues over time could this be the culprit. Does anyone have any other suggestions on where to look or is the ABS pump on the way out? Can the ABS pump be repaired, I know this a popular service in older VWs.
    I just solved an ABS issue in my car this week. I'd removed the ASC TB, and started getting the ABS light intermittently YEARS later.

I replaced all the wheel sensors and took the pedal travel sensor apart to check it.

I finally plugged the ASC TB back in (tucked the assembly under the intake, on top of the power steering reservoir) and all is good.

If you've replaced your ABS pump, maybe try plugging your ASC back in and see if it does the trick?

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Coupe
    I just went through this (95 M3) and ended up having to re-wire the internal wires of the ABS pump. Finding where the issue is (at least in my case) will depend on how much time you are willing to spend testing circuits (wheel sensors, pedal sensors, ABS pump), locating the correct wiring diagrams etc, etc. After a lot of time spent on my part I can tell you the easiest way to test the ABS pump and selonoids was at the harness plug itself. You have to verify your pinouts match these but this page helped me a good bit: https://blog.bavauto.com/14248/bmw-d...es-and-others/ . I had an issue with the #9 pin on the ABS pump itself. Rewired the whole thing. I figured I could buy a used ABS module for $200 bucks on ebay (with the same 20 year old wiring) or take a stab at it myself. It's not for the faint of heart but it is possible to do if you have any soldering skills .... and I don't.