RM European Auto Parts

Thread: Smoke machines, absurdly cheap!

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD

Smoke machines, absurdly cheap!

Hi friends,

I've watched this smoke machine get cheaper and cheaper. I've been told that it works very well. If you like to maintain your own BMW(s), I must tell you that my own smoke machine is probably the best tool I own. (It cost me $900, years ago)

This one is $135 ! You'll pay half that for a single smoke test, at a BMW shop.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Autool-SDT-...e729%7Ciid%3A1

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Thanks. I bought one. Had thought about getting one before.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    I also bought one, just received it.
    Comes with an impressive "Certificate of Quality" which states;
    "This certificate indicates that this product has been strictly examined. Quality reaches the state car computer diagnostic standard and quality standard Proved to be qualified products."
    Fingers crossed.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    I DID tell you it was Chinese, didn't I? Abel likes his!

(Guess I didn't even need to tell you it's Chinese, given that it's being sold by "Xiaofega"
    Last edited by bmwdirtracer; 11-22-2018 at 11:06 AM.

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    I just ordered one too. My pro machine requires a compressor, so I can't take it with me and run a smoke test just anywhere; this will make a great "traveling" addition to my tools.

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwdirtracer View Post
    I DID tell you it was Chinese, didn't I? Abel likes his!

(Guess I didn't even need to tell you it's Chinese, given that it's being sold by "Xiaofega"
    This was a given. I'm sure it will suit my purposes.

The papers that come with these type tools always amuse me. I have a halogen leak detector with a "customer manual" that states; "Should any problems arise in operation within one year from the date of purchase, a no charge repair or replacement will be offered to the original purchasers." Great, a warranty! Nowhere in the manual, on the product or package is the manufacturer identified or contact info of any kind given. Again, fingers crossed.
    Last edited by ross1; 11-22-2018 at 11:27 AM.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    I've posted this picture before, in a thread "Depo Quality". Note spelling, on their own box!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    LOL.

Well as long as my smoke machine keeps on making nice, thick, luxurious smoke out of the Johnson and Johnson's, I don't think a few misspellings would make a difference.

I guess if it breaks, I get to open it and find out why and how.
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    And then, you can figure out how to change what Ross advised me is a flaw he's found: the switch runs both the heater and the fan, so you can't switch the fan off separately.

I've had my expensive RedLine smoke machine for well over a decade now; I've fixed the wires once....but then, I use it several times every week. Intake / ccv, evap system, even the exhaust!

When you start trying to seal up stuff for testing, be aware that most tape doesn't work to seal baby oil smoke. That goopy rubber windshield sealant doesn't work either. Evap systems have a breather/vent, which needs to be sealed if testing. Best way to do this is with a computer; Autologic has this function, I don't know what other scanners do. Some vent/filters can be pulled off, and then it's easy to seal the ~1" hole with a plug.

Keep every little plastic cap you come across from any source, also rubber corks, caps. etc. These will come in handy one day for smoke testing. Big ones (like 3") are great for smoking into intake elbows, where the rubber cone that comes with the smoke machines doesn't conform to the bend. Always remove the MAF when testing the intake. (I know, you three guys already know most of that, but maybe other people are reading too)
    Last edited by bmwdirtracer; 11-22-2018 at 12:58 PM.

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    2000 M roadster
    serious questions:

the ad states: "- SDT-106 is for all pipe systems except EVAP."

curious why not EVAP?

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Officially, evap system smoke tests use inert gas, rather than air, because it doesn't support combustion. I've never even seen one of those machines, and every pro shop I know uses a conventional machine. Evap system testers also have a gauge which measures degradation of the pressure. That's an interesting feature; the fancy $2500 smoke machine at our shop has that....but what am I really going to use it for?

In the end result, you're using a smoke machine to FIND a leak...while the pressure degradation gauge may tell you that you have a TINY leak which you can't yet see, it's NOT going to show you where the leak is....for that, you need to see the smoke.

Evap systems are a bitch sometimes. I really like the fact that Autologic will run a full test on the evap system, and report whether there are any issues. That said, Autologic costs over $30,000, depending on how many marques you service.

Regarding this particular machine: Well, I bought one, because it'll work anywhere, not even requiring a compressor, like my RedLine smoke machine, which continues to serve me perfectly, after more than a decade. The RedLine is the best tool I own, and yes, I use it for evap systems too.

$140 or $1000 or $2500? Hmmmm.....

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

moroza is offline MORΩN ΛABIA BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E34T
    I never understood why a smoke machine should cost anywhere near four figures. They are extraordinarily useful, but so is a big screwdriver, and damned if I'm paying $100 for one. I've seen eBay smoke testers that are apparently made in the US by a small business (someone in their garage, likely), at about this same $135 or a bit less. IMO, rather that, than voting for China with my dollars.
    Last edited by moroza; 12-04-2018 at 02:38 PM.