Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: BMW N63 ENGINE FAILURE - 2009 to 2014 BMW 5 series, 6 series, 7 series, X5, and X6

My Cars
    2011 750 il2008 Escalade
    CNCJERRY,
    My 2011 750 xdrive was evaluated at 68K. I have 72K now, Car is turned in because it started running very crappy. They estimate about $1300.00 will be my responsibility, when and if an engine change happens. If your milage is 60-70K, your contribution is 15% of the value of engine. 85% paid by BMW. 70-80 is I think 30% for consumer. It all depends when the car was evaluated. I hope this was helpful. No exact date of engine, estimate 4-6 weeks.

Thank

Naqvi

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    Quote Originally Posted by Bmwsucks2018 View Post
    https://www.consumeraffairs.com/auto...nt&filter=none

Read some of the consumer complaints , you'll see most people have a 1 star review of the automaker. BMW has been putting out garbage for years, and still continue to get paid big. No more 4 year / 50K mile service packages anymore. Now it's 3 years / 36K miles. Wonder why they reduced it ? =)

Because their program was far more comprehensive than the competitors. They could reduce the terms and still have as good or better maintenance program than everyone else.

That being said, the former 15,000-mile schedule is laughable. I'm pretty sure it originated in Germany as 15,000 KILOMETERS, and the US office neglected to do the conversion. (It's 9,300 miles)
    Quote Originally Posted by B4SH View Post
    If anyone knows, it's this guy who knows literally nothing about everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by fcvapor05 View Post
    Do you even OT? The mean 401k around here is probably about $6, what with all the shiny cars and $1,000 watches and donations to get other members' Volvos running.

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    Quote Originally Posted by jellisbmw View Post
    ... I did not want to drive over 79, 999 miles so I could qualify for higher percentage of new engine being paid by BMW. Stupid me, I missed response date to qualify for new engine ...
    Just so everyone knows, the October 2018 "deadline" was for those who wanted to OPT OUT of the Class Action and retain their rights to sue BMW individually over this issue. You can still take your car to a BMW to have them check for smoking, and if it smokes but passes some other checkpoints, then the valve stem seals and various other components will be replaced. Only if the vehicle is deemed to need a new engine will you be required to participate in the cost of repairs, based on the mileage of the vehicle.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by CNCJERRY View Post

My complaint is pretty simple. They are supposed to attempt repairs, up to three times, before replacing the engine. Read section B, paragraph 3, I believe it was, of the settlement. I also think that since they did an oil consumption test at 53k miles, why are they using the later date for the prorated engine. Granted this is my view but we will need a referee. There are other complaints, mostly involving BMW just flat out lying to me. The problem is that we have little or no recourse. I've asked McCune-Wright to weigh-in and said I would cover their fees.. I'm must admit I'm getting tired of this as it's been going on for years and years.

No referee needed. The bulletin clearly states :

"When an eligible vehicle returns to a BMW authorized center for an oil
    consumption issue and the vehicle’s engine either:

• Fails the oil consumption measure test (part two); or there is
    • Visible blue smoke from the exhaust pipes and the
    • Vehicle’s engine fails the one of the other required inspections (5 point
      checks); then

Use the vehicle’s “odometer miles” when the above occurred to
    determine the customer’s contribution. This documented odometer mileage is to be
    also used when the qualifying engine replacement is delayed due to
    awaiting parts from BMW."
    Do you even OT? The mean 401k around here is probably about $6, what with all the shiny cars and $1,000 watches and donations to get other members' Volvos running.

My Cars
    2012 650i

2012 650i

Hi guys! I have the same issue.

2012 650i 70k miles.

This vehicle was towed in for a no-start/engine died condition on 10/30/2018.
    The vehicle was diagnosed as having a damaged crankshaft bearing, causing engine seizure. The 3
    rd
    party warranty company has authorized replacement of the engine with a unit directly from BMW.
    They not providing any loaner car.
    First few weeks I was calling dealer every week for status updates, later find out that there are 3 other car stays with the same problem from the June 2018...

I'm really not interesting taking back that car after North-East winter staying all this time outside under the snow and ice, last time I've been there - the rotors were rotted already, the battery fully dead. No one gonna replace those things and bunch of other electrical issues that might pop up later even after engine replacement.
    Does make sense to open lawsuit for buyback? Any success in that field was reached?

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    Quote Originally Posted by MGrytsenko View Post
    Hi guys! I have the same issue.

2012 650i 70k miles.

This vehicle was towed in for a no-start/engine died condition on 10/30/2018.
    The vehicle was diagnosed as having a damaged crankshaft bearing, causing engine seizure. The 3
    rd
    party warranty company has authorized replacement of the engine with a unit directly from BMW.
    They not providing any loaner car.
    First few weeks I was calling dealer every week for status updates, later find out that there are 3 other car stays with the same problem from the June 2018...

I'm really not interesting taking back that car after North-East winter staying all this time outside under the snow and ice, last time I've been there - the rotors were rotted already, the battery fully dead. No one gonna replace those things and bunch of other electrical issues that might pop up later even after engine replacement.
    Does make sense to open lawsuit for buyback? Any success in that field was reached?

If you didn't opt out of the Class Action prior to October of last year, your only recourse for the Class Action is to have the dealer perform the inspection procedure. But since your warranty company is paying for an engine, that won't be necessary, because you'll have a new engine. There is no "buy-back" provision in the Class Action.

My Cars
    2012 X6 M, '99 & '06 M3
    Hey guys, I definitely feel your pain. I've always owned BMWs - even as a younger guy. A few years ago (2014, IIRC) I purchased a 2012 BMW X6M - certainly the nicest car I've ever owned. It began giving me problems every few months, which either Seattle or Bellevue BMW covered. Eventually BMW offered me the CCP to address all the problems I'd been having. I had been told that the oil consumption issues was "normal" for BMW, so I paid it no mind. Despite these "updates", the car continued to have issues and the engine eventually seized a few weeks back. Although I acknowledge that the car IS out of warranty, I've never had as many issues as I've had with this car, nor have I ever had a car's engine seize below 80K miles - not even the Trabant that I drove in Europe. I've always babied this car, kept it well-maintained by the dealership, and authorized every service they recommended. Bellevue has insisted that only a new engine will solve this issue, and the bill will set me back $30K. BMW-NA is telling me that they are not willing to perform any manner of goodwill service or help in any way. I am currently reading up on the pending lawsuits and considering my options. Beyond Bang v. BMWNA, there's a new lawsuit (Moore v. BMWNA) that claims that the settlement offered by Bang v. BMWNA doesn't go far enough. I tend to agree, and I'd love to hear form anyone with the same mindset.

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    Quote Originally Posted by StevenMatthew View Post
    Hey guys, I definitely feel your pain. I've always owned BMWs - even as a younger guy. A few years ago (2014, IIRC) I purchased a 2012 BMW X6M - certainly the nicest car I've ever owned. It began giving me problems every few months, which either Seattle or Bellevue BMW covered. Eventually BMW offered me the CCP to address all the problems I'd been having. I had been told that the oil consumption issues was "normal" for BMW, so I paid it no mind. Despite these "updates", the car continued to have issues and the engine eventually seized a few weeks back. Although I acknowledge that the car IS out of warranty, I've never had as many issues as I've had with this car, nor have I ever had a car's engine seize below 80K miles - not even the Trabant that I drove in Europe. I've always babied this car, kept it well-maintained by the dealership, and authorized every service they recommended. Bellevue has insisted that only a new engine will solve this issue, and the bill will set me back $30K. BMW-NA is telling me that they are not willing to perform any manner of goodwill service or help in any way. I am currently reading up on the pending lawsuits and considering my options. Beyond Bang v. BMWNA, there's a new lawsuit (Moore v. BMWNA) that claims that the settlement offered by Bang v. BMWNA doesn't go far enough. I tend to agree, and I'd love to hear form anyone with the same mindset.
    Your vehicle seems to be of the correct year/model to be involved with the Class Action. Even at full non-warranty pricing, replacing the engine should only run $15k, and if it needs turbos, another $5k. The MSRP on the engine alone is only about $3,800. How is it that your dealer is not offering to cover the engine replacement under the Class Action??

My Cars
    2012 X6 M, '99 & '06 M3
    Looks like I'm just a moron. I was told by the attorney that contacted me that my car would be covered, so I didn't bother to do my homework - I was just relieved to not be on the hook for the repairs. My car's an X6 M, so the engine's the S63 (S63B44A), not the N63. The dealership laughed me out of the building. Needless to say, I rang the attorney back and had a follow-up discussion. Given that the symptoms were the same as those found in the N63, and given that all the other X6 M owners that I've found who are also complaining of seized engines are all reporting that their cars died the same agonizing death, I assumed that we'd get relief, too. I was wrong.

Well, the attorney that contacted me was with the firm involved in the original suit, and she referred me to the legal team that argued it. They're looking into either reaching out to BMW NA again on behalf of our small group of X6 M owners who've had seized engines, or filing another suit outright. It's impressive that we've all experienced nearly the exact same symptoms and end-results.

Details at https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners...chType=KEYWORD, search by year (2010 - 2014), make (BMW), model (X6 M), and keyword ("engine"). Report IDs 11192093 and 11133442 eerily similar, as is mine which has not yet been submitted.

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    The N63 and S63 have essentially the same engine block, and use the same part number for intake and exhaust valves, and valve stem seals. And since the valve seals are the main cause of the oil consumption, I don't know why the M wouldn't be included in the Class Action. I mean, I know why, but it's shitty that they aren't.

My Cars
    2011 750 il2008 Escalade
    My engine finally arrived. BMW sent me pictures of my engine removed and new engine awaiting to be installed. Very exciting.

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    We generally have had 3 N63 vehicles at various stages of engine replacement in the shop since the beginning of the year. We have 2 engine tables and just keep rotating them thru 3 engine replacements: one engine coming out, one engine going back in, and the next in line for a table getting prepped for removal with the next available table.

My Cars
    2011 750 il2008 Escalade
    Update:
    Good news my engine change is almost complete. Bad news my tab keeps running. Initially back in Oct 2018 during diagnostics, I was told $300.00 plus based on my mileage 68K 2011 750 x-Drive. Once engine arrived for some reason price changed to $1345.57. I was still happy that my issue (Blue smoke blowing car) is resolved. I am supposed to pick my car tomorrow. There is another $450.00 added for misc. clamps hoses and gaskets....BMW proposed some other items, which I declined at this time. I am still ok, but just checking with my fellows if this is normal. Total bill as of today $1745.00. Not sure what tomorrow will bring.

Thanks

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    Quote Originally Posted by naqvi View Post
    Update:
    Good news my engine change is almost complete. Bad news my tab keeps running. Initially back in Oct 2018 during diagnostics, I was told $300.00 plus based on my mileage 68K 2011 750 x-Drive. Once engine arrived for some reason price changed to $1345.57. I was still happy that my issue (Blue smoke blowing car) is resolved. I am supposed to pick my car tomorrow. There is another $450.00 added for misc. clamps hoses and gaskets....BMW proposed some other items, which I declined at this time. I am still ok, but just checking with my fellows if this is normal. Total bill as of today $1745.00. Not sure what tomorrow will bring.

Thanks
    That sounds about right. Ballpark figures to replace the engine under that Class Action are $10k for the engine, and $15k if the turbos also need to be replaced (they don't always need to be). At 68k miles, BMW pays for 85% of the repair, you pay 15%. $1750 seems reasonable. Although, you should only be paying 15% of any "misc clamps hoses and gaskets" that are related to the engine replacement.

My Cars
    2011 750 il2008 Escalade
    Thanks Critter7r,
    Got my car back after so long. Drives like brand new car. Total bill was $1700 plus change. Made no sense to argue for few hundred dollars.Happy the blue smoke and smell is gone. I hope this will last for some time. i asked BMW, what can I do as far as maintenace is concerned, so this is not repeated. They said it will not happen.

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    Change the oil more frequently. Especially the first oil change after getting the new engine. Don't go more than 4 or 5000 miles on the first one, 7-8k after that. Don't rely on the car to tell you when to change it. And use name brand full synthetic oil. I would even go so far as to say to go back to using 5-30 in the winter and 10-30 in the summer like we used to do back in the day, instead of the garbage 0w20 that's recommended. All this BS that BMW introduced (longer maintenance intervals, lower weight oils) was done to save money and lower emissions. It's not saving anyone any money.

My Cars
    2011 750 il2008 Escalade
    Thank you for the recommendations. I will ensure I do as you recommended. I service all my cars with Mobile 1. I need to change my front tie rod ends and left front axel. BMW is telling me it needs to be changed. From stop to start it makes clicking noise when I turn the steering wheel to right specially during a right turn. What is good source in your opinion to buy parts from. BMW site shows it for $107 left and right. Axel Part number 31607606027 shows $825. I have changed tie rod ends before, but never a front axel on BMW. Is it doable for normal person or will take experts (Extra intelligent) like you to change. Any advise or "Not to do" guide will be appreciated.

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    BMW pricing for CV shafts is a joke. My employee price for my 325Xi is almost $500 each. BMW sells them to the dealer at over $400. I have aftermarket CV axles on my car. I got them locally, so I can't really recommend an online source. But you could likely find them for under $200 each for a 7Series. (Mine were $110 each) I've probably gotten close to 100k on the ones that are currently on the car. I'm on my 3rd or 4th set though (the car has 275k miles, and I bought it at 35k about 10 years ago). Replacing them isn't difficult, but if you don't have the mechanical ability and the tools, it's probably better just to pay someone the $300-400 in labor to do it for you.

My Cars
    750li bmw
    Bmwsucks. Here's my info. Please give me a call. In same boat. Would love to participate in suit.
    dsherrod58@yahoo.com
    Donald Sherrod

- - - Updated - - -

BMW sucks. Please contact me. I would love to participate in the suit. In same boat. I'm also in Las Vegas.
    Donald Sherrod
    dsherrod58@yahoo.com

My Cars
    2011 Alpina
    Hi guys,
    Im in same boat of crap. Please let me know who to contact in hopes to get rid of my 2011 Alpina and this crapy N63.
    Danka Nikolic

- - - Updated - - -

Is this still going on??

My Cars
    F10 2011 550i
    @bmwsucks2018 I am in the same situation. Short of long story...seized engine, BMW has denied engine replacement. Current offer 50% off parts. Not interested because I believe there is more to the root cause and BMW should acknowledge issues and make things right. I am happy to join your cause.
    Contact info is brad.pickering@gmail.com
    Thanks!

My Cars
    2010 BMW X6
    Oh well, I decided to drive my X6 until it died even though it was consuming a quart every few hundred miles. I added some ATP treatment, a thin seal revitalizer, and the oil consumption improved to almost 900 miles per QT until today when something let loose. There is oil dropping down the engine V out the back. It sounds like either a turbo blew, a valve or maybe the head gasket. It's hard to tell but it sounds mechanical.

So there you go. 80k BMW, add 16k in repairs, a whole lot of fighting with BMW and the dealership, get ignored for years, listen to my wife for 5yrs telling me to junk it, etc, etc, and have the engine blow at 98k miles. Also, the A/C compressor is bad so add 5k to the list for that piece of platinum. Do you believe replacing an X6 A/C compressor could be that much? I also recently had to put in a rear lift gate latch for a couple hundred as well as a passenger door handle that rotted.

This car is the biggest automobile disaster of my life. I've had them all, Porsche, Ferrari, Maserati, Mercedes, Jaguar, etc and this POS had more problems then all of them put together. This was the only one I purchased as well. What a mistake.

I am wondering what happened to it. I dont want to pay 200 to find out. It is 1800KARS4KIDS from here on out. I just dont have the energy to file suit. BMW wins. They wore me down.

Jerry

My Cars
    750li
    Quote Originally Posted by Deezy58 View Post
    Bmwsucks. Here's my info. Please give me a call. In same boat. Would love to participate in suit.
    dsherrod58@yahoo.com
    Donald Sherrod

- - - Updated - - -

BMW sucks. Please contact me. I would love to participate in the suit. In same boat. I'm also in Las Vegas.
    Donald Sherrod
    dsherrod58@yahoo.com
    How do we file a lawsuit my engine just died in may

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    Quote Originally Posted by Red34man View Post
    How do we file a lawsuit my engine just died in may
    If the dealer can determine that the failure was caused by oil starvation, it'll likely be covered by the class action.

My Cars
    2013 bmw 750Li
    Hi everyone, this is my 1st post as well. Just purchased 2013 750li 2 weeks ago 70k miles on it and 3 day ago, was manually shifting passing a car and drivetrain malfunction indicator came on, took it to a local Bmw only repair shop, misfire on 4 cyclinders…...quoted 1500 to change out all spark plugs and coils. Is that just the start of many problems to come???

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    Yes.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast