Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: BMW N63 ENGINE FAILURE - 2009 to 2014 BMW 5 series, 6 series, 7 series, X5, and X6

My Cars
    330i, 328i, X5, Corvette
    2012 X5 nightmare.... I wish I had read this thread prior to purchase. I'm now $9,000 sick to my stomach. I am a GIRL and I love my BMW's. I have a 330i that is an absolute DREAM. Needed a vehicle to replace our aging Tahoe and thought..hmm. BMW X5, nice price, clean title. 97k miles. Seemed like a good thing for a few years. I'm that girl who learned to work on my 330i, because it is almost 20 yrs old. I am NOT that girl that is going to pay BMW to swap a new engine for $19,653. I am definitely THAT girl that plans to call up the private seller and give them a piece of my mind. Because, I caught what they did. If you top off the oil with a racing oil, it MASKS enough for someone to sell you a genuine piece of junk. So, I'm still learning. 1) research 2) if it seems too good, what are they hiding? 3) NO to X5

Got it.

My Cars
    2011 750 il2008 Escalade
    So sorry... is your engine seized or not running? BMW did the oil check? You can keep adding oil and drive till it dies. Better then not driving. You can also order an engine for $3000.00 or so, I have seen them online and find someone to change it. I bought mine without proper research from a big dealer. I got ripped. I am thankful to my BMW dealer, who worked with me and had my engine replaced.

My Cars
    2012 750IL Xdrive M pack
    2012 750IL 54,000 miles and it spun its bearings, BMW says cant do anything, no oil level low warning lights. This is on BMW

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    Quote Originally Posted by rdorazil View Post
    2012 750IL 54,000 miles and it spun its bearings, BMW says cant do anything, no oil level low warning lights. This is on BMW
    See if this applies to your vehicle.

Model

F01, F02 (7 Series Sedan) F06 (650i Gran Coupe) F07 (550i Gran Turismo) F12 (650i Convertible)
    F13 (650i Coupe)

With N63TU engine produced from July, 2012 to July, 2013; and programmed to integration levels between F001/F010-15-11-500 to 19-03-500 (with an exclusion of integration 17-11-5xx).

Situation

Drivetrain Malfunction Warning is illuminated, and DME fault code 1C4002 (Engine oil level: too low) is stored. Customer complains that Check Control Message (“Low Oil level”) has never been displayed.

The engine oil level measurement test works correctly and shows low oil level when checked under Vehicle Status tab in CID.

Cause

Instrument cluster software error.
    Quote Originally Posted by B4SH View Post
    If anyone knows, it's this guy who knows literally nothing about everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by fcvapor05 View Post
    Do you even OT? The mean 401k around here is probably about $6, what with all the shiny cars and $1,000 watches and donations to get other members' Volvos running.

My Cars
    I wonder when they switched from N63 to N63TU since that bulletin applies to TU only.
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    In 2012, a "Technical Update" was applied to the N63, resulting in the N63TU variants (also known as N63B44O1). The main upgrade was the addition of Valvetronic.[5][6] Other changes include revised turbochargers, removal of the blowoff valve, lighter pistons, forged connecting rods and crankshaft, addition of a valve cover labyrinth oil catch/return system, new valve stem seals, revised fuel system and addition of a second coolant pump.[4]
    Do you even OT? The mean 401k around here is probably about $6, what with all the shiny cars and $1,000 watches and donations to get other members' Volvos running.

My Cars
    BMW X5, Nissan Rogue
    Thanks to all the posters in this forum. I’m evidently a moron and recently bought a used 2011 X5M with 120k kms on it in the Vancouver area of BC, Canada. I’d read a bit about the N63 engine issues and this owner had the valve stems seals replaced under a third party warranty at 100k for $8k so thought I was in the clear. I wish I had found this forum earlier.

Earlier this week, I got a p0175 error (bank 2 running rich) and started fishing around the web for more details. I also noticed a hard brake pedal in the morning and battery drain issues. After reading through this thread, I’m panicking a bit, as I probably should. I checked the exhaust more closely today and it has gotten colder outside, but it looks like it may be spewing a bit of white smoke.

I called a mechanic friend. He said 95% of the time the p0175 error is the oxygen sensor. The beast is still running fine but nothing about this N63 engine seems fine. A couple questions for the gurus on this feed:

1. If my engine is shot, does the class action extend to Canada and would it apply to a 2011 model manufactured in 8/10? I guess 120k km would be about 72k miles.

2. Is a p0175 error a precursor to this slew of things going wrong with N63 engines?

3. I’ve read that fuel injectors are also a huge issue with these engines and they’re covered under the same 10yrs, 120k miles. Any truth to that?

4. Anyone have an N63 engine that’s still running well?

I am taking mine into the dealer next weekend for 3 recalls, including the propeller shaft (good thing as it’s vibrating a bit at 110km/hr after having tires balanced) so would be great to know what kind of questions to throw at them. Thanks!
    Last edited by Rugbyhead; 11-13-2020 at 03:01 AM.

My Cars
    2005 525i
    So I have a very similar situation to many here. Bought a 2013 X5 with the M sport package. Bought it with 82k miles, it blew around 84. My local BMW dealership was amazing to work with. I had the engine replaced and it cost me 40% of the cost plus a couple turbo hoses...around 5k. I’m sitting in the dealer now for the first oil change. I’m still burning oil. The chrome exhaust tips become black pretty much every fill up, there is even black around the exhaust tips. I love the fact that I have a 7 year old car with a brand new engine, but should I unload this ASAP, or is the new engine actually trustworthy? Critter7, I would especially appreciate any insight or suggestions you could offer. My engine is an n63b44a if that makes any difference.

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by Kopiaw View Post
    So I have a very similar situation to many here. Bought a 2013 X5 with the M sport package. Bought it with 82k miles, it blew around 84. My local BMW dealership was amazing to work with. I had the engine replaced and it cost me 40% of the cost plus a couple turbo hoses...around 5k. I’m sitting in the dealer now for the first oil change. I’m still burning oil. The chrome exhaust tips become black pretty much every fill up, there is even black around the exhaust tips. I love the fact that I have a 7 year old car with a brand new engine, but should I unload this ASAP, or is the new engine actually trustworthy? Critter7, I would especially appreciate any insight or suggestions you could offer. My engine is an n63b44a if that makes any difference.
    I would get rid of it if it was me, but that's assuming I wouldn't be taking a huge loss on the sale or trade in. You just paid $5k for your portion of the repairs. The new engine shouldn't be burning oil, but it's possible the turbos could be blowing a little oil since they weren't changed.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rugbyhead View Post
    Thanks to all the posters in this forum. I’m evidently a moron and recently bought a used 2011 X5M with 120k kms on it in the Vancouver area of BC, Canada. I’d read a bit about the N63 engine issues and this owner had the valve stems seals replaced under a third party warranty at 100k for $8k so thought I was in the clear. I wish I had found this forum earlier.

Earlier this week, I got a p0175 error (bank 2 running rich) and started fishing around the web for more details. I also noticed a hard brake pedal in the morning and battery drain issues. After reading through this thread, I’m panicking a bit, as I probably should. I checked the exhaust more closely today and it has gotten colder outside, but it looks like it may be spewing a bit of white smoke.

I called a mechanic friend. He said 95% of the time the p0175 error is the oxygen sensor. The beast is still running fine but nothing about this N63 engine seems fine. A couple questions for the gurus on this feed:

1. If my engine is shot, does the class action extend to Canada and would it apply to a 2011 model manufactured in 8/10? I guess 120k km would be about 72k miles.

2. Is a p0175 error a precursor to this slew of things going wrong with N63 engines?

3. I’ve read that fuel injectors are also a huge issue with these engines and they’re covered under the same 10yrs, 120k miles. Any truth to that?

4. Anyone have an N63 engine that’s still running well?

I am taking mine into the dealer next weekend for 3 recalls, including the propeller shaft (good thing as it’s vibrating a bit at 110km/hr after having tires balanced) so would be great to know what kind of questions to throw at them. Thanks!
    An X5M has an S63 engine, which is not included in the class action lawsuit. So you're out of luck there. And I'm not sure, but I think it only applied to the US only, and not Canada.

As for your fault code, I've replaced a handful of mass air flow sensors for that fault code. If you're interested in replacing them, I can give you the cheap part number. There are two part numbers, for the exact same part, and one is hugely expensive, and the other is not.

My Cars
    BMW X5, Nissan Rogue
    Quote Originally Posted by White94RX View Post
    An X5M has an S63 engine, which is not included in the class action lawsuit. So you're out of luck there. And I'm not sure, but I think it only applied to the US only, and not Canada.

As for your fault code, I've replaced a handful of mass air flow sensors for that fault code. If you're interested in replacing them, I can give you the cheap part number. There are two part numbers, for the exact same part, and one is hugely expensive, and the other is not.
    Thanks for the info White94RX. I’d definitely be interested in the part number.

Are the S63 engines plagued with the same issues as the N63? Is a p0175 code ever a vacuum leak and could that be related to a hard brake? Thanks for your time.

My Cars
    2001 525it
    I would never recommend any bmw now that I have worked with them for years
    , there just unreliable junk and I have a bmw 525 wagon which I love to drive but I always have something that needs attention on it

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by Rugbyhead View Post
    Thanks for the info White94RX. I’d definitely be interested in the part number.

Are the S63 engines plagued with the same issues as the N63? Is a p0175 code ever a vacuum leak and could that be related to a hard brake? Thanks for your time.
    I think they have some of the same issues, but maybe not to the same extent. It could be they didn't sell nearly as many so we don't see as many in the shop.

I don't know P codes, I use BMW specific codes. You posted that it's a mixture too rich code, so that would typically not be a vacuum leak. Vacuum leaks cause mixture too lean codes.

I'll post the part numbers in Monday when I get back to work. The cheaper part number is the one from the customer care package. I'll also have to cross reference to make sure the S63 engine uses the same mass air sensors as the N63.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by White94RX; 11-16-2020 at 07:31 AM.

My Cars
    I can't even find the mass air sensors in the parts catalog for an X5M. I can see them for a non-M car, but not the M. Maybe they don't have them? Which would shoot down my theory on the sensor being your problem.

My Cars
    BMW X5, Nissan Rogue
    I can't even find the mass air sensors in the parts catalog for an X5M. I can see them for a non-M car, but not the M. Maybe they don't have them? Which would shoot down my theory on the sensor being your problem.
    Thanks for checking! I have an appointment Saturday at the dealer to hopefully figure it out. Thanks!

My Cars
    2013 x5 xdrive50i
    I really wish I had found this thread first!;( I have a 2013 x5 xdrive50i and the engine has completely seized. Spent 12k buying the car almost 2k to fix an oil leak that it had only to get it back drive it for a couple of days and the engine seize up! I have no idea what to do if BMW is even going to help me! the car is just sitting and can’t be driven. I have 130k plus miles on it so they probably wont even help me!! I had my 2 babies in the car when this happened. Now im down 15k. No money to buy a new car and no car to drive all right before Christmas please advice would be appreciated. I am such an idiot! I hate this car ;(

My Cars
    I'm guessing you had your oil pan gasket replaced?

My Cars
    2011 750 il2008 Escalade
    You said Oil leak. What kind of leak to pay 2K. When engine seized up was there any oil in it? maybe whoever did the oil may not have done something right? Might want to start from there.

My Cars
    2013 x5 xdrive50i
    I'm guessing you had your oil pan gasket replaced?
    Yes how did you know?? I has that replaced and had a rear main seal leak!

- - - Updated - - -

Im honestly not even sure I had a rear main seal leak and i know thats a pretty extensive leak but I took it back and they were the ones that told me my engine seized and theres nothing i can do unless i het a new engine... so yeah

My Cars
    I've seen it happen before. Oil pan gasket gets replaced, then engine seizes. The oil pump is removed during the repair. We at the shop have assumed there is an air pocket or something in the oiling system that causes a rod bearing or main crank bearing to seize. It typically happens within a few minutes or the engine running, or within a few miles of driving. Not normally after a few days.

I'm not going to say the tech did or didn't do something wrong. It's just an unfortunate event. The dealership, as well as you, need to reach out to BMW and explain the situation, and what happened. If you're lucky, BMW will help, but I can't guarantee that. I've seen them reject more and more goodwill lately than in the past.

My Cars
    2013 x5 xdrive50i
    I've seen it happen before. Oil pan gasket gets replaced, then engine seizes. The oil pump is removed during the repair. We at the shop have assumed there is an air pocket or something in the oiling system that causes a rod bearing or main crank bearing to seize. It typically happens within a few minutes or the engine running, or within a few miles of driving. Not normally after a few days.

I'm not going to say the tech did or didn't do something wrong. It's just an unfortunate event. The dealership, as well as you, need to reach out to BMW and explain the situation, and what happened. If you're lucky, BMW will help, but I can't guarantee that. I've seen them reject more and more goodwill lately than in the past.

Thank you for replying back. Yeah i have to get it towed to BMW so they can diagnose it. Either way they don’t seem the slightest bit enthusiastic about helping:/ this sucks!

My Cars
    BMW X6 50i
    Has anyone here had any success getting BMW to cover the engine replacement? Using an attorney maybe?

BMW of America is refusing to replace my engine, even though the Bang Settlement indicates they should be responsible. I had this issue with my 2014 BMW X6 50i. It failed oil consumption test at 62,500, dealership tried for a month to fix it and get it to pass, it finally did. That was covered by BMW of America.

At 70K miles the engine blew up and needs a full replacement. I was up in the mountains and had it towed to a certified Napa repair shop where they dropped the oil to see if there were chunks of metal in it. There weren't but the oil was black. I then had it towed down to the dealership, where they confirmed the engine needed to be replaced. At 70K miles!! Had to be related to the N63 issue.

I called BMW of NA, after a week of escalation, they got back to me and said they wouldn't cover any of the repairs because there was no oil in the car when they received it. I can confirm that the oil was full when I brought it to the NAPA shop but since it wasn't the dealership, they're trying to use this as a loop hole to wiggle out of the class action responsibility.

Is there anything I can do? They're saying this is as high as I can go and the claim is being rejected.

- Chris

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisrobertson View Post
    Has anyone here had any success getting BMW to cover the engine replacement? Using an attorney maybe?

BMW of America is refusing to replace my engine, even though the Bang Settlement indicates they should be responsible. I had this issue with my 2014 BMW X6 50i. It failed oil consumption test at 62,500, dealership tried for a month to fix it and get it to pass, it finally did. That was covered by BMW of America.

At 70K miles the engine blew up and needs a full replacement. I was up in the mountains and had it towed to a certified Napa repair shop where they dropped the oil to see if there were chunks of metal in it. There weren't but the oil was black. I then had it towed down to the dealership, where they confirmed the engine needed to be replaced. At 70K miles!! Had to be related to the N63 issue.

I called BMW of NA, after a week of escalation, they got back to me and said they wouldn't cover any of the repairs because there was no oil in the car when they received it. I can confirm that the oil was full when I brought it to the NAPA shop but since it wasn't the dealership, they're trying to use this as a loop hole to wiggle out of the class action responsibility.

Is there anything I can do? They're saying this is as high as I can go and the claim is being rejected.

- Chris

What did they fix? Did they just do valve seals? Did they replace turbos? Unless the engine runs out of oil, or there was some sort of improper repair done (like a oil pressure line left loose) the class action issue alone won't cause engine failure, it just consumes oil.

My Cars
    E36 Compact,Coupe,E30
    It’ll cause failure if you run it out of oil because it’s consuming so much between intervals. Chris did you happen to keep it topped off? Could be oil starvation. But overall sounds like you’re SOL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    S52 E36 Compact
    E36 325is Coronaproject
    08 Saab 9-3 in Oxford Green

My Cars
    530i
    If I buy a n63 equipped 750li can anyone tell me if I can be covered by the class actin settlement?

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    Quote Originally Posted by Joeker86 View Post
    If I buy a n63 equipped 750li can anyone tell me if I can be covered by the class actin settlement?

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Well ... Not just *anyone* ...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast