Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: E38 EWS-DME Issue INPA help

My Cars
    2001 BMW E38 740iL Sport
    To JustinLucking; What is the status of "Input Start" signal when you try to start? (bottom row, second from left) The 'starter on' time is shown on the coding (F3??) page. Mine is "2 sec". that means that when the key is turned to "Start", if all the key and EWS permissives are met/satisfied, then the signal goes to the starter, and that "Input Start" should go to yes, and the signal is on for 2 seconds. You should hear the starter solenoid click (and the starter runs!) and the "Input Start" goes black/Yes for 2 secs; then back to white/No.

E38.Digital1.jpg

If that occurs, and the starter doesn't run, then it is the starter.

If that DOESN'T occur, then it is a key/EWS problem, because all the permissives are not yet met.

(just a disclaimer, I THINK the above information is correct, based upon my current situation, trying to find out why my '01 e38 won't start. I have narrowed it down to it also being the starter, which is not unreasonable, as it is 18 years old, and 190,000 miles on it!!)

If other contributors have other/different information about the above, please advise.
    Last edited by MKBUSC; 11-19-2018 at 11:06 AM.

My Cars
    2000 740i sport
    Again, A bad ews or key wont make any noises when trying to crank the car. Not a pindrop of a sound will be heard even with a fully charged battery... The jumping of the ews sends 12v to the starter when cranking...

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2001 BMW E38 740iL Sport
    For JiMoreno and Purplecty: really appreciate the feedback and comments!! Yes, I am able to read the EWS and DME and the keys, and have made some progress. I now see the "Input Start' signal go from white/No, to black/Yes, and I hear the solenoid actuate. (for others with this issue, the solenoid is a louder, more solid 'click' than the starter relay in the E-box) But still doesn't start, so my assumption is that it is the starter! I have one on order.

What concerns me is that I still see "ERROR_ECU_REJECTED" when I try to read ISN/password. Not sure about that. Guess I will find out when I replace the starter!!

My Cars
    2000 740i sport
    Quote Originally Posted by MKBUSC View Post
    For JiMoreno and Purplecty: really appreciate the feedback and comments!! Yes, I am able to read the EWS and DME and the keys, and have made some progress. I now see the "Input Start' signal go from white/No, to black/Yes, and I hear the solenoid actuate. (for others with this issue, the solenoid is a louder, more solid 'click' than the starter relay in the E-box) But still doesn't start, so my assumption is that it is the starter! I have one on order.

What concerns me is that I still see "ERROR_ECU_REJECTED" when I try to read ISN/password. Not sure about that. Guess I will find out when I replace the starter!!
    Read the values in the EWS, Does it say something along the lines of unable to start due to invalid code?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    It will never let you read ISN/password on EWS3 and on. So don't get hung up on that.
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    2001 BMW E38 740iL Sport
    I think this is what you're referring to:

E38.EWS Status.jpg
    ......so I read this to say that the starter IS NOT switched off for any of the four reasons. When viewing this screen, I saw it change to YES when shifting out of Park or Neutral, so to me that confirms that it is reading/functioning properly. I'm off the belief that it is the starter. (there was a time when I would pull the starter and refurbish the solenoid, but those days are long gone. I will R&R it when the new one arrives)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by 328 Power 04 View Post
    It will never let you read ISN/password on EWS3 and on. So don't get hung up on that.
    Thanks for that info Abel.....that is reassuring, and continues to point to a bad starter.

My Cars
    525eds
    I might be premature about this. However some spanking IDIOT has used 2 screws to BOND the earth strap to the main body of the earth plate. Problem is the whole plate is loss and the main bolt that holds the earthing plate on cannot be used anymore as it just spins when trying to tighten it up. so now no earth strap point. This is on the solenoid part not the main motor thrust housing. Yes, ~II did test this and shortend the pins out and could se that the thrust system worked fine but no motor spin would occur.

My Cars
    1995 540i 6 speed
    2005 BMW X3i built 2004-10-13 - can a bad EWS3 module generate a fault code. When turning the key to 'start' - nothing, not noises, no cranking, nothing. I am going to jump to starter contacts on the EWS3 module, but wondered if a bad module would put out a fault code.

My Cars
    2000 740i sport
    Quote Originally Posted by BMW63005 View Post
    2005 BMW X3i built 2004-10-13 - can a bad EWS3 module generate a fault code. When turning the key to 'start' - nothing, not noises, no cranking, nothing. I am going to jump to starter contacts on the EWS3 module, but wondered if a bad module would put out a fault code.
    Check the DME and EWS for errors...

My Cars
    1995 540i 6 speed
    I have not checked for fault codes - need to buy a fault code reader - any fault reader model suggestions? I tried to 'initialize' my key - the initialization process worked - at the end of the process, the doors locked then unlocked signifying a successful initialization but the starter would still not respond. Since the initialization appeared to work, I suspect the EWS3 and not the DME - any thoughts?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12