RM European Auto Parts

Thread: 2007 328xit - Recall Work, Now Dead Battery?

My Cars
    '98 M3 'Vert '07 328xit

2007 328xit - Recall Work, Now Dead Battery?

Hi all. I've got a 2007 328xit (e91/wagon). On Monday I had the local dealership perform two recall jobs - the PCV Valve Heater and the Blower Motor wiring. Suddenly on Wednesday night I had a no-start condition.

The only thing that happened when I pushed the started button was that all the dash lights came on (with exclamation point) and the alarm chime started sounding. About 15 mins later, just for a check, I pushed the starter and everything was fine. Drove to work yesterday, made two stops (with starts) along the way and all was normal. Then last night after work - no start, same lights/alarm. Got a ride home. Rode my bike in today, went to check the car and the battery was absolutely dead. Not enough to unlock the door or even turn on the dome light.

Battery is new as of last February - properly registered at the shop. Also, I have a new starter as of about a month ago.

My question is - is there anything that the dealership may have done that would have caused some electrical issue? The questing I'm wrestling with is whether I should take the car back to the dealership, or go to my regular independent mechanic.

Thanks for your advice!

EJT

My Cars
    2001 525it
    Unless they left the car on while doing the work for some reason and the battery chrage
    is low, I seen the techs leave cars on plenty of times

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    The Intelligent Battery Module will have kept a record of what circuit is discharging the system. There will be codes in a lot of computers, including "Closed Circuit Current Violations".

You'll need to connect the car to ISTA , and follow through the test plan.

I've had ISTA tell me, for instance, that the amplifier circuit has had draw 255 times, and that it's not an authorized consumer for this draw. I installed a replacement amplifier, and the draw went away. I'm not hinting at all that your amp is the consumer....it may be the PCV heaters or the blower resistor, or something else entirely.

Whether you go to the dealer or your indy to identify the issue pretty much depends on whether your Indy has ISTA. Without it, tracing the fault will be MUCH more difficult.

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471

My Cars
    1974 2002, 2009 128i
    When I had the airbag recall done on my 128i I hopped in the car and was greeted with the "car on a lift" graphic. I checked the code - it was battery discharge. Hasn't occurred before or since, so I'm pretty sure the tech just left it on while doing the work. I'd call the dealership that did the work, politely explain the situation, and see if they'll do something for you.

Life's tough. It's tougher when you're stupid.
    -John Wayne

My Cars
    '98 M3 'Vert '07 328xit
    Thanks for the replies. I understand about the tech leaving the car on, but it seems odd. I mean it started, fine when I picked it up from the dealer, and while the drive to my house isn't terribly far, I'd be surprised if that wasn't enough to at least make up the charge lost by that one start. Admittedly, it did sit all day on Tuesday and most of Wednesday, but after the initial no-start on Wednesday evening, it did start shortly thereafter - and I drove only about 6 blocks (to get my daughter from school in the rain). Started fine Thursday morning and I drove it all over town that day, easily more than an hour of run time. To have it not start Thursday after sitting at work only about 7 hours and be totally flat (no clock, no dome light) the next morning just strikes me as something having gone wrong.

In any case, I was able to get the car jumped - although oddly, it wouldn't start while the other car was hooked up. However, we left the other car hooked up for a good 20 minutes, and once unhooked, I gave it one last 'hail-Mary' try and it fired up fine. Was able to get across town and put it back in the dealer's hands.

What was extra frustrating was when I popped the hood there was some electrical cover laying on the scuttle panel and the partial broken clip to the brake vaccuum booster line sitting on top of the alternator and the brake booster line flopping loose.

They've got the car now until Monday. Hopefully there'll be some satisfaction...

Its funny, and I suppose it is coincidence, but I've gotten nothing but fabulous service from the dealer on any issue I bring in my old e36 on, but I'm getting no love for my newer (albeit, middle age, now) e91.

Thanks again for the replies.
    Last edited by morzada; 11-10-2018 at 10:08 AM.

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Take the car back to the dealer. It sounds like the tech who completed the recall actions wasn’t having a good day.

My Cars
    '98 M3 'Vert '07 328xit
    Dealership just called - diagnosed a loose starter wire.

My Cars
    '98 M3 'Vert '07 328xit
    And I get a 15% discount on my next service! Yay.

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    I’d have the dealer fix the problem and then I’d say adios, and never have the dealer work on the car again. It sounds like the dealer’s techs are sloppy.

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Aw, now, that's not fair, Mark.

Cars do experience coincidence, you know? Maybe the starter wire actually WAS loose.

I have had a car come to the shop for a tire rotation and oil change. A week later, the owner came back and said we'd broken his air conditioning.

Our friend has had good service from this dealership, and maybe, or maybe not, the recall services were somehow involved in intermittent cranking issues. I wasn't there; I can't say.

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471