Thread: On the fence between e60 and F10 535i

My Cars
    1969 Porsche 911 RSR

On the fence between e60 and F10 535i

Hi all.

Brand new to the forums. (first post in fact)

A quick intro: I've been a car guy forever, and been autocrossing since the year 2000. I won a season championship in 2003 in an 89 Civic si, then bought my first vintage Porsche. In 2005 I restored a 1969 911 that became an RSR clone(ish), and I've been racing, autocrossing, and taking that car to Targa events. (Here's the build thread if you have an hour to spare...lol. http://*******/69porschersr) I currently have a 2007 Mini Cooper S that I've set up for autocross, but I want to get a BMW now, so I'm selling that car.

I've wavered back and forth a million times between the e60 and the f10. My budget is probably less than 15k for this car. I want an M-Sport 535i. I know the MSport versions are rare for the e60, but I'm in no hurry. From what I've learned, the e60 is more of a "driver's car", with better road feel. The n54 is also infinitely tuneable, and I'd for sure throw a chip in it and make it a real sleeper. I will probably not modify it otherwise, other than maybe some external body stuff. On the other hand, the F10 has a FAR better interior, but I'm told has a more "numb" road feel. I don't know how concerned I am about that, since I have the 911 when I want to hit the mountains. This car will be my daily, and I'll use it for road trips to Vegas, AZ, LA, etc. (I'm in SD) However, I'd like my first BMW experience to really capture the essence of the brand. So, if the drive is "boring" by comparison, I don't want to go that route. I'm also not opposed to getting something, driving it for a while, selling it, then driving something else. I'm looking for a

So, I guess I'm looking for real world experiences between the two years, given my circumstances. All the searching I've done (and I've done a TON) and I'm still left without a direct "real world" comparison.

If you have an opinion on one versus the other, I'd be really interested to know what specs/options you'd consider a "must have", and any maintenance issues I should look for when I'm driving.

Thanks!

Michael

My Cars
    2008 Z4
    Just sold a 2008 528xi that we drove for 10 years and 203,000 miles. Bought a 2016 535xi with 34,000 miles. The E60 was definitely more the essence of BMW. Pretty basic (for a BMW), great road feel, but not a lot of power. The F10 has gobs of power, but I feel like I'm driving more of a big luxury car. I'd suggest a 200X 535 if you want the essence of a BMW. Of course they had fuel pump problems....

My Cars
    1969 Porsche 911 RSR
    Thanks for the response. I was thinking 2010 would be the right choice since it was the last year. I definitely like the looks of the F10 better, especially the fluted hood design.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2007 750i BMW; 2003 Z4 3.0 BMW; 2002 Lexus LS430;
    I have an '08 535i with the M Sport Suspension and a '15 535i with the M Sport Package: The '08 is a bit more nimble than the '15. I think the BMW "tuners" softened the suspension over the years. Also the '15 (F10 models) are slightly larger than the '08 (E60 models). If you are going to autocross the car go with an E60 model but for a great driving car with a little more comfort go with a F10.

My Cars
    2014 BMW 535i M Sport
    Picked up my '14 M sport 535i a few months ago after being out of the Bimmer family for awhile. The things I'm unhappy with (some have already mentioned here - suspension and heavy feel) are truth, but not that huge when compared to other manufacturers in the same market. A few aftermarket changes (suspension, maybe a light tune to help with throttle response) and the F10 really wakes up in my opinion not only in handling and feel but overall enjoyment. As it goes tho with BMW's - the older it is, the more nimble it will be..