Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reupholstering sport seats

My Cars
    2017 M3 6sp
    Quote Originally Posted by Layne View Post
    Sorry, I meant to explain better, but I had to rush off. Yes, you can certainly sew 2 parallel lines and make it look great. But you'll never match the exact number of stitches one-for-one, like the BMW factory did (or whoever made the leather for them). Let's say your french seam rounds a corner. Just like a car differential, the outside row has a farther distance to go. With the double needle, the outside stitches will get a little bigger, and the inside will get a little smaller, but the number of stitches will continue to match. Here's a photo of an E34 armrest to illustrate that. With 2 separate stitches, you'll just have a different number of same-sized stitches. That's not necessarily a problem, and it can still look great. I didn't mean to sound discouraging, just pointing out that it's not a level playing field unless you buy the multi-thousand dollar double needle machine. But sometimes the greatest skill is developed by working with what you have.

Attachment 641784
    Layne, I am not discouraged by any means I know exactly what you talking about, but guess what? It CAN be done if needed with single-needle machine. Those double-needle machines is not that much more $ when used, but they are very specific to this kind of work. Shops get them when time saved start making sense. Sewing is like 10% of time if you think about it. Templating, cutting, assembly, etc - this is where all time is. I wasted lot of material when rushed to sewing machine (because I was excited to sew). It's all in prep and careful marking/templates.

And here is my role model (Cechaflo from Youtube) doing exactly this - setting correct number of stitches. You can control machine to put needle right where it needs to go. More work, but very doable.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSD7xpLl-pM

P.S. I actually bought set of handles from forum member. I will try to re-wrap them in leather after those seats completed. At least I plan to

P.S.2. See attached. I zoomed your pic where it visible that seam went off-center with double-needle on factory sewn handle I'm becoming paranoid, checking into every car's seats. There is so much bad work in factory upholstery... BMW is good though.
    seam.JPG
    Last edited by katit2; 12-06-2018 at 11:50 AM.

My Cars
    e34 540ia/e32 740il
    That is interesting stuff, this thread has a ton of neat info! That double-needle sewn door grab handle leather seam does go off center, but the stitches do sync-up at the end of the radius. I love attention to detail like this. I have also noticed a few spots in the leather stitching of my e32s where there are some slight imperfections or misalignments in thread. I always get picky about the little details like that

My Cars
    2017 M3 6sp
    Quote Originally Posted by m60power View Post
    That is interesting stuff, this thread has a ton of neat info! That double-needle sewn door grab handle leather seam does go off center, but the stitches do sync-up at the end of the radius. I love attention to detail like this. I have also noticed a few spots in the leather stitching of my e32s where there are some slight imperfections or misalignments in thread. I always get picky about the little details like that
    I personally don't see anything wrong with stitch mismatches on left/right as long as stitches of the same length. But if you think about it - it's all manual work, those people at factories sewing those bolsters all day long. Of course there going to be imperfections.

Just like Ferrari paint issues - it's "hand made", give us a break

Problem with all that - you can't redo seam in leather. Whole work is wasted pretty much. If it's fabric - you can. In leather - no. Everything can be just fine and your machine skips a stitch or you run out of thread in a bobbin.. There is like thousands of things going on together. Thats why if you see perfect work - it is very impressive. You can find imprefections anywhere. Bentley or Ferrari - doesn't matter.

My Cars
    2017 M3 6sp
    While waiting on some more supplies to do centers I started working on bottom piece. Pictures show:
    1. Bottom bolster was templated
    2. Templates ready, added about 5mm to where seam was. Seems like all seats done with 7mm sew allowance. I use 1/2 inch, so 5mm added everywhere.
    3. Marking leather. Side pieces covered by plastic cut from sides/legs and actual tops of bolsters cut from better parts of hide.
    4. Leather marked with silver pen. Special pen which can be washed off if needed.
    5. Top pieces of bolsters glued to sew foam and helping seam was made to join edges of foam/leather.

That was it for now, hope to finish those this week.

IMG_2597.jpgIMG_2598.jpgIMG_2599.jpgIMG_2600.jpgIMG_2606.jpg

My Cars
    2017 M3 6sp
    Today I made 2 bottom bolsters. Left one without decorative seam (just like original), right one with single seam, will make my seats like this.
    Didn't stretch them, thats why wrinkles, but they came out great.

Also, making 3 bolsters for one of the members - see how much of a hide it takes for 2 top bolsters and one bottom bolster. One hide should be enough for what I need. 4 bolsters and headrests.

IMG_2611.jpgIMG_2612.jpgIMG_2613.jpg

My Cars
    93BMW 525i/95 BMW 540i/6
    Cool. Interested in seeing the finished product.
    USC Ralph - Long Beach, CA USA
    1989 E34 White 525i (M20) 310,000m (Sold)
    1993 E34 Black 525i (M50) 308,955m
    1995 E34 Calypso Red 540i/6 (M60) 201,254m
    1993 E34 Black 525iT (M50) 138,500m

My Cars
    2017 M3 6sp
    Ok, I'm getting much better. Today I cut, glued foam and sew 3 bolsters. Because I'm not a pro I have to do many extra steps
    1-2 Shows that I have to staple pieces together and I have to mark 1/2 line for my seam. Pro's would just go with 2 pieces eyeballing allowance
    3. Shows that I did 2 seams for added strength.
    4. Shows tough spots, leather had to be cut in corners to release some tension
    5. Finished 1 seat worth of bolsters. Going to forum members

Now. Real professionals will never sell you covers like this. Installation is PITA and requires some know how to look good. Seams need to be layed and relieved where needed so they lay straight. Have to be stretched properly and steamed afterwards.

When cut leather I took visible/top pieces from good part of hide and they should stretch. From what I understand this leather is somewhat stiff. But I didn't handle good one yet so can't tell.

P.S. I just realized where I can improve! First seam especially around corners is not that easy to follow. Next time I will do first seam about 1/8 off the sew line which will enable me hitting real line much more precisely!

IMG_2615.jpgIMG_2616.jpgIMG_2617.jpgIMG_2618.jpgIMG_2619.jpg

My Cars
    2017 M3 6sp
    Working on seat back portion. Sewing is pretty easy. The only caveats is those pipes on back to get it tensioned. Had to sew from top with thick thread for good look and had to hit bottom correctly. With 1/2 foam, vinyl and strip was tricky.

Next challenge is to fix old foam. Metal wire which was molded into foam got ripped out and I need to find a way to fix it and reinforce to prevent it from happening again.

IMG_2623.jpgIMG_2625.jpgIMG_2626.jpgIMG_2627.jpg

My Cars
    2017 M3 6sp
    Moving alone. Back is ready. Working on last piece - bottom center. Will be ordering leather soon.D9B4AC90-E87A-42D8-9B9A-A07CF96F4E48.jpg

My Cars
    2017 M3 6sp
    Working on last piece prototype (bottom). This is practice piece for thigh support. Definitely getting better at sewing.

IMG_2637.jpgIMG_2638.jpgIMG_2639.jpg

My Cars
    328, 525, 740, R1200RT
    "Metal wire which was molded into foam got ripped out and I need to find a way to fix it and reinforce to prevent it from happening again." -- how did you fix it?

My Cars
    2017 M3 6sp
    Quote Originally Posted by Old525i View Post
    "Metal wire which was molded into foam got ripped out and I need to find a way to fix it and reinforce to prevent it from happening again." -- how did you fix it?
    Good question. I did some research. People suggested to glue it back in and then add old t-shirt reinforcement on top. But that would go into the slit on a "face" side and this is contact cements. Looked like potential mess and bulk in place where I didn't want it.

Another idea was to use buttons on a back and wire tie this wire.

But I just glues stripes of thick webbing to the back and used hog rings to attach wire. I added glue where wire sits too, but it's not really going to do anything there. Factory design is not that strong in those spots.

IMG_2628.jpg

My Cars
    2017 M3 6sp
    Back from holidays. Leather is here. I was thinking hard and decided that paying $500+ for hyde with my skill level is probably not a greatest idea. I got light gray hide from eBay seller (same guy who I bought tan leather above from). $40 shipped - can't beat that. Hide folder in half laying on 4x8 I did paint it to silver gray color which is very slightly different from hide's original color. So, even if there is scratch in leather - it won't show different color like it would if I painted totally different color hyde.

I was surprised that this specific hyde is truly top grain. It's not greatest quality I guess because there is bites and scratches (natural stuff) but it's not "corrected grain" as we see in cars today. It's stretchy and decently soft. I'm optimistic. All seats plastic and leather painted. Just need to finish sewing and re-assemble

IMG_2709.jpg

My Cars
    2002 525i Wagon
    Hello, I just bought a new-to-me 2002 e39 wagon and the front seats' leather is in poor condition. Although I wish I had the ability to do my own reupholstery work myself, Can anyone recommend a good auto upholstery shop in California or the Bay Area please? Thanks in advance!

My Cars
    328, 525, 740, R1200RT

My Cars
    2017 M3 6sp
    For e39 you can still find excellent seats on junk yards, reupholstering might be overkill

My Cars
    1995 540i/6
    This is all great information, thanks a lot! I recently checked out a few books on upholstery from a library and I have been pricing sewing machines on craigslist. So this right on topic for my current planning / research.

My Cars
    2017 M3 6sp
    Quote Originally Posted by MN Snowta View Post
    This is all great information, thanks a lot! I recently checked out a few books on upholstery from a library and I have been pricing sewing machines on craigslist. So this right on topic for my current planning / research.
    Keep us updated on what you get/do. I'm currently sidetracked with sewing machine resto project. Should be back to sewing seats shortly, I got all materials/knowledge now. Just need to finish it up.

My Cars
    2003 BMW 540iA
    Nice work!

Quote Originally Posted by katit2 View Post

I was surprised that this specific hyde is truly top grain. It's not greatest quality I guess because there is bites and scratches (natural stuff) but it's not "corrected grain" as we see in cars today.
    I put 2000 Regal leather seats in my Impala years ago, it had that same kind of leather. A little bumpier and thicker, some markings here and there, definitely had some real character and I liked the look. Some new car leather is so smooth it also looks fake.

My Cars
    2017 M3 6sp
    Quote Originally Posted by ElleShooTiger View Post
    Nice work!

I put 2000 Regal leather seats in my Impala years ago, it had that same kind of leather. A little bumpier and thicker, some markings here and there, definitely had some real character and I liked the look. Some new car leather is so smooth it also looks fake.
    Pretty much all new cars leather is corrected grain. If not artificial.

My Cars
    2017 M3 6sp
    Been awhile! I'm still working on a project. Right now I am working on skiver resto project. This is machine which allows to make leather edge "thinner".
    I need to have this machine before final work with leather.

I also got very good deal on 2 sewing machines. Both post bed, one regular and one 2 needle. So, any "french" seams should not be a problem. And with machinery I got now - my skill is the only limit.

I had a questions in PM how I started and what I used to learn about upholstery. Books, etc.

This message board and specifically topic will give you all help you need choosing machine, adjusting, fixing, any advice, etc, etc.
    Proper sewing machine is one and most expensive piece to start working on a project. You need to start with finding proper machine.
    https://leatherworker.net/forum/topi...o-sew-leather/

This message board is specific to upholstery, people very helpful and many good info. You will get answers to any questions quickly.
    If you want to purchase learning materials - they sell video courses but it's not necessary also useful.
    https://www.theupholsteryforum.com/index.php

YouTube is my main source of info. I watched 100s of video's about people reupholstering seats and doing any other interior works. I think 100s of hours spent for sure.
    It's all there. And some channels will show you very detailed videos on all aspects.
    This one is most detailed, pretty much all you need to know is here. It's Mexican channel so some things will be a question since we have different brands, materials, sizes, but in general it's the best IMO
    https://www.youtube.com/user/Cechaflo/videos

I did buy some books but those are all not very useful since we have YouTube.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12