Thread: climate change denier!

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540i

climate change denier!

Forget what Al Gore sez global warming is over...at least according to the temperature display in my 2001 540i.
    The beemer thinks it's been -40 (C or F) for the last couple of days.
    Coincidentally now that it's -40 (let's say F for now) my pixels seem to be behaving like brand new so now that the next ice age is on it's way I can cross pixel repairs off my list of things to do...
    Before anyone in the Sunshine State panics and buys a down parka let me say I'm guessing that this may have something to do with the kamikazee possum I nailed on the NYS thruway this past Sunday.
    When I was checking for damage I noticed a big chunk of my passenger side inner fender was MIA, replaced with some internal organs I couldn't ID but could hose off.
    Does anyone know where the external temperature sender is?
    Knowing the outside temperature isn't a big issue but it is kind of nice to know if things are around freezing and is something I find myself looking for as I approach bridges and exit ramps this time of year.

My Cars
    z3
    On my car it was right in your impact area... designed to fit into a little recess in the plastic fender liner in front of the front passenger wheel. Mine was ripped off, so I replaced it and ziptied it out of the way

Check for two stray wires in that area, its pretty common for the harness to be ripped off along with the sensor

I believe the car also uses that sensor for the automatic climate control, so its nice to have it working properly

JimLev is offline Artifically Aspirated Moderator
    My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    It also is used to control heat to the side mirrors and rear window.
    Your side mirrors are getting 100% power, they must either be HOT or the heating elements may be burned up if it's been that way for a long time.
    Last edited by JimLev; 11-08-2018 at 09:42 AM.

My Cars
    1997 BMW 540i 6 speed

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540i
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    On my car it was right in your impact area... designed to fit into a little recess in the plastic fender liner in front of the front passenger wheel. Mine was ripped off, so I replaced it and ziptied it out of the way

Check for two stray wires in that area, its pretty common for the harness to be ripped off along with the sensor

I believe the car also uses that sensor for the automatic climate control, so its nice to have it working properly

Ah hah! That explains why my heater has been cooking me out of the cabin for the last couple of days...

My Cars
    01 M5 TiAg/M1SW
    Great thread title, 10/10 would read again. Lol.
    Nate J.

(oOO\ (|||)º(|||) /OOo)
    Titanium Silver/Black Nappa Full 07-18-2001 E39 M5 Heritage (BZ99672). 198,000mi+. Increasing daily. Engine rebuild thread.
    (eŌō\ (||||)º(||||) / ōŌe)
    Alpineweiss III/Black Merino Full 03-26-2007 E60 M5 Manual (CX08265). 157,000+. Dead starter -_-

RIP, Seabiscuit. Black Sapphire/Schwarz 03-11-2003 530iA Sport (CK39185). T-boned 03-01-2017 at 155,861mi.
    Take 2 "Otto" - Toledo Blue/Sandbeige 04-25-2002 530iA Sport (CH98032). Sold 11-10-2017 at 147,743mi.
    Take 3 "Manuel" - Toledo Blue/Grau 10-29-2001 530i5 Sport (CE92358). Sold 02-01-2019 at 217,600mi. I regret that. Build Log
    Reliable P.O.S. - Green/gray 1995 Camry V6 LE. 270k mi. Sold for space.

My Cars
    2003 525i
    Bimmer*

My Cars
    E39, E39
    Quote Originally Posted by JimLev View Post
    It also is used to control heat to the side mirrors and rear window.
    Your side mirrors are getting 100% power, they must either be HOT or the heating elements may be burned up if it's been that way for a long time.
    Do all e39s have heated side mirrors? One of the issues im having since my ambient temp sensor stopped working is the "max" button on the climate control no longer works. Is there anything else that would be messed up in my 530i due to this sensor not working?
    2013 Ford F-150 FX4 Ecoboost
    2002 530i/5 M-Sport
    1994 318i/5 (Up for sale Soon)

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540i
    I found a seller on ebay that sells the sensor itself for $6.50, shipping included. It's supposed to be a genuine BMW part but we'll see when it arrives. I also found that several BMW parts suppliers sell the sensor & connector, populated with pins and a pigtail to repair a setup that may have been torn off the car. I think these were $25 from ECP & FCP Euro. When I checked last night my connector was still there and looked ok. I'm not sure how that possum managed to unclip my connector before shattering my fender liner but If I see him along side the road on my next pass out to Buffalo I'll thank him for his consideration. The sound he made passing under my passenger side wheels makes me suspect he may be hard to ID.
    It looks like the biggest part of this bill will be the fender liner itself. They seem to be available a little north of $70. I'd leave it off but it looks as if there's something hanging down into the cavity it creates along with the front bumper and the area is sure to collect a pile of snow in the near future (real snow today, lake effect tomorrow, more real snow next week, yuck!).

JimLev is offline Artifically Aspirated Moderator
    My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Quote Originally Posted by mebjr12 View Post
    Do all e39s have heated side mirrors? One of the issues im having since my ambient temp sensor stopped working is the "max" button on the climate control no longer works. Is there anything else that would be messed up in my 530i due to this sensor not working?
    Don't know, I thought they all did. My car has the cold weather package, heated seats, etc so maybe that's why?
    You got heated seats mebjr?
    Your sensor not working/missing? may be why your Max button isn't working.
    Until you replace the temp sensor you can connect the 2 wires together so it won't read -40. It will read somewhere around ambient.
    Last edited by JimLev; 11-09-2018 at 04:38 PM.

My Cars
    E39, E39
    Quote Originally Posted by JimLev View Post
    Don't know, I thought they all did. My car has the cold weather package, heated seats, etc so maybe that's why?
    You got heated seats mebjr?
    Your sensor not working/missing? may be why your Max button isn't working.
    Until you replace the temp sensor you can connect the 2 wires together so it won't read -40. It will read somewhere around ambient.
    No heated seats. I read somewhere that the sensor was the cause of my Max button not working. My display reads -40. The senor is still there, the tip of the senore got destroyed when porkchop was dragging the ground on the highway

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    2013 Ford F-150 FX4 Ecoboost
    2002 530i/5 M-Sport
    1994 318i/5 (Up for sale Soon)

My Cars
    2002 BMW 530i Sport
    My car does not have the cold weather package/heated seats etc. but does have heated side view mirrors.

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    In the US market...ALL e39s have heated side mirrors as well as heated windshield washer nozzles.

And any system in the car that uses ambient temperature range to operate will not function properly if the ambient temp sensor isn't reading correctly. For instance, the MAX button (see your owners manual) operates from 61° F-up...the AC compressor operates from around 31°F-up. The heated washer nozzles turn on at 38°F....then turn off when ambient temps rise back up to 43°F. So if your ambient temp sensor is showing -40° F...then those features will not operate accordingly.

And as mentioned, the heated side mirrors operate on a cycle based on ambient temp. The colder the ambient temp...the longer the interval they are heated:

Last edited by Qsilver7; 11-10-2018 at 11:19 PM.
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)