Thread: Oil filter housing

Oil filter housing

Do you have to take off the intake manifold to change the oil filter housing? Because of the one bolt?

My Cars
    08-E60-528i
    You don't have to, just need the tools. I did not take mine off, I used a slim socket with a small wrench and put it through the intake manifold and took it off like that. But, the wrench is not the common socket wrench, it has a hole where you put through the socket, so it lowers the width making it slim. Also, the smaller the radius of the head of the wrench the better as the intake manifold will stop you from turning the wrench as it will bump into the intake manifold. I can attach a picture of what I used, just let me know if you want to see it.

I have also read that some people used a swivel socket with an extender to take that bolt off.

My Cars
    991.1 / 958.2
    Quote Originally Posted by Oleh007 View Post
    You don't have to, just need the tools. I did not take mine off, I used a slim socket with a small wrench and put it through the intake manifold and took it off like that. But, the wrench is not the common socket wrench, it has a hole where you put through the socket, so it lowers the width making it slim. Also, the smaller the radius of the head of the wrench the better as the intake manifold will stop you from turning the wrench as it will bump into the intake manifold. I can attach a picture of what I used, just let me know if you want to see it.

I have also read that some people used a swivel socket with an extender to take that bolt off.
    I am interested in a picture of what you’re describing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    08-E60-528i
    Here are two pictures of the handle and the socket I used, its small so be careful if you find something similar to this to not drop it down.. I will try and post a video later today of how it will look like and how I fitted it.
    IMG-3937.jpgIMG-3936.jpg
    Last edited by Oleh007; 12-03-2018 at 12:35 PM.

My Cars
    08-E60-528i
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeKQTH8ISUw

Here is the video of how I put the tool through the intake manifold. Sorry if I repeated myself.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    If you have never cleaned the carbon from the intake ports of the head, you could pull the manifold and do it now. Mine was an incredible gooey mess, definitely hurting performance. After scraping as much goo as possible I blasted the ports with walnut shell using a cheap siphon blaster and compressor and cleaned with a shop vac. You can buy the blast vacuum port fitting for about $20.

My Cars
    991.1 / 958.2
    Ah yes, I’ve seen those ratchet/sockets before. Thanks for the clarification.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2010 BMW 528i
    I just replaced the seal without removing the intake. Used an 8mm box-end wrench to remove the bolt. It's pretty tight, but I muscled it loose. Then to put it back in I got a swivel socket - u-joint and socket all in one.

My Cars
    2008 535i
    Depends on the motor. N52 you can do it without, N54 manifold has to come off.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Apparently with the N54 you can just release the manifold and move it back an inch, but not remove it, if you have the right tools. Read the last few posts here for the tools.

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...er+housing+n54

I pulled the manifold to clean the carbon and goo from the intake. Those ports were strangled by it. A must do job on an N54. And a great time to do everything else in the area, like the OFH and cooler gaskets, VC gasket and coils/boots/plugs, etc.