Thread: Catch can filling up FAST

My Cars
    1995 BMW 525i/5

Catch can filling up FAST

Hiya,

For context, I just finished turbocharging my E34 with an M52.

For my CCV setup, I have two -10AN lines running to a Vibrant catch can. I installed the plastic cam cover to aid with oil retention, but had to cut a hole in the cover to allow the firewall-side AN bulkhead fitting to not hit it.

I've been consuming a lot of oil. I've ended up with a lot of...something in my catch can. I initially had a lot of fuel-smelling caramel latte getting into the catch can and coming out of the catch can's filter. This was due to my tune, which ran quite rich after I fixed a boost leak (after tuning it pre-fixing the boost leak).

I thought that was it. Now it seems like I'm filling up the catch can just as fast (it was about 3/4 full after emptying it last night then driving for approximately 2 hours total; this involved aggressive driving as i was also tuning it). The color seems darker, but I'm assuming it's oil. I noticed some oil on the spark plugs for the 4th and 5th cylinder.

Does anyone have any ideas/remedies? I'm not sure if it's me cutting into the cam cover that caused it, if those two cylinders have a ton of blow-by/bad rings, if my catch can isn't venting enough, or maybe all of the above.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that my head gasket is a 0.89 MLS, and I didn't build the motor myself but I know that the head wasn't a mirror finish. The head was rebuilt shortly before I got it, but the picture I received of the head didn't show a smooth finish. The block also wasn't finished. While I think it could be the HG, I would think that the coolant would be contaminated, which it looks like it isn't, and my dipstick/oil cap would have milky condensation on them, which they don't.

IMG_20181107_204839.jpg
    IMG_20181107_204846.jpg
    Last edited by CallMePuff; 11-07-2018 at 10:04 PM.

My Cars
    '86 325e, '14 VW EPA
    Do you have the plastic cover on the intake cam?

My Cars
    E36
    I don't want to sound like a broken record, but check the compression and do the wet test - it'll tell you all about the psiton rings condition. If the bottom end is fine, then you can focu on your head. I mean - engines head :P

My Cars
    '02 540i-6, '97 540i-6
    I agree about the compression test. One would expect boosted power to produce more blow-by gasses. The condition of the rings is real important.

Some other questions: What do the catch can contents look and smell like when they settle? Water at the bottom and oil at the top? (Normally the water will boil off, but perhaps not if removed from the hot engine.) Or does it look thin and still smell like gas after your fix?

BTW, the HG could blow between a cylinder and oil passage. Doesn't have to breach the cooling system at the same time.

My Cars
    67mm 325i, RAM 1500
    Probably have a broken piston.

My Cars
    turbo e36
    One time I forgot to put that plastic cover over the cam...My catch can would fill up with oil after like 1 drive...

Normally my catch can is 95% water, with a little oil muck mixed in, kinda milk-shakey, but definitely mostly water...if you have mostly oil, somethings wrong

Def is offline Lead Disagreement Eng PE
    My Cars
    SW22, Volt
    One thing you can do if your catch can is filling up with water is to put it somewhere warm. I'm thinking of doing this on my MR2 so I don't have to drain it often. If it warms up enough to evaporate some water off you'll just be catching oil.

As for the OP, you've got either a busted piston/ring, or are splashing oil straight into the hose.

My Cars
    1995 BMW 525i/5
    Quote Originally Posted by R Shaffner View Post
    I agree about the compression test. One would expect boosted power to produce more blow-by gasses. The condition of the rings is real important.

Some other questions: What do the catch can contents look and smell like when they settle? Water at the bottom and oil at the top? (Normally the water will boil off, but perhaps not if removed from the hot engine.) Or does it look thin and still smell like gas after your fix?

BTW, the HG could blow between a cylinder and oil passage. Doesn't have to breach the cooling system at the same time.
    I agree with your first comment. The reason I don't think it's a boost issue is because I've been driving it like a grandpa and it fills up about as quick.

I have some baffled fittings coming. For those asking about the cam cover, yes, but I had to drill a hole in it basically rendering it useless so that one of the fittings could fit.

I have a couple of jegs baffled fittings on their way so that the hoses aren't just exposed to the head with no baffling/cover. This should allow me to not drill a hole in the cam cover since the fittings are shallower.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    '95 E34 525i, M50B32 (S52 Crank, K1 Rods, JE 9.0:1 Pistons, S52 Cams, Cutring, Achilles Oil Pump Shaft & Sprocket), GTW3684R 0.82A/R, ZF320

My Cars
    1995 BMW 525i/5
    Quote Originally Posted by R Shaffner View Post

Sorry for double post. The contents are a dark color, mostly oil I believe. Almost positive it's just blowing oil up into the hoses, but we'll see after my fittings come in.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    '95 E34 525i, M50B32 (S52 Crank, K1 Rods, JE 9.0:1 Pistons, S52 Cams, Cutring, Achilles Oil Pump Shaft & Sprocket), GTW3684R 0.82A/R, ZF320