I have a e30 318i sedan drift car I was wanting to swap a m54 and 5 speed into it. I've been reading up on it the sap the vanos alot of the problems that arise while swapping. I found I believe he said it was a 06 bmw x3 suv wrecked with a good m54 in it for $500. I'm willing to spend the money to get the engine I want. My biggest worry is the drive by wire that seems like a good way to make something difficult more difficult. Would I be able to just go a get the engine take the throttle body off chuck it in the trash can and run a cable driven one. I can buy/build a wiring harness buy/build mounts a zf5 will bolt up then build a driveshaft at work. If anyone else has gone through this or swapped in a m54 or has some experience with them could help me. Would it be better just to wait on my m54 till I have more patience to put up with a drive by wire? Should I just go find a m50/m52/s50 to go in it? I like my m42 but I like the straight 6s alot more. This wouldnt be my first swap I've swapped v8s into stuff that a v8 has no business being in but this will be my first BMW. I dont want a v8 in this because i guess i think it just belongs with a straight 6 in it. But back point to any help would be appreciated thank you in advance.