Thread: Whistling noise from the engine, Valve cover replacement?

My Cars
    2011 BMW 328i xDrive

Whistling noise from the engine, Valve cover replacement?

Guys I have a 2011 BMW 328i with a N52 engine, my problem is that after a few minutes or driving, the car starts making very loud whistling noise and the engine also starts shaking. The car also lacks power while accelerating and when I try to open the oil cap (when the engine is idling), I can sense a vacuum build up and some resistance while opening the cap. My local auto guy did a initial diagnostic and came to a conclusion that the Valve cover needs to be replaced (quoted me $1472).

Coincidentally I had the car taken to my BMW to get a PCV valve heater recall and for a brief moment I though that might have something to do with my problem, but it appears that is not a related issue according to BMW (too bad). So before I start shelling out some money at the auto shop, I want to give this a shot. It seems like I can do two things, replace the valve cover (~$500) or buy a CCV valve kit and replace it on my original valve cover (~$50).

Looking for guidance and expertise before I dive into this. Thanks a lot!

PS: Here are the codes the auto guy said that came up

2A7C : VANOS INLET COLD START
    2A82: VANOS MALFUNCTION (INLET)
    2D27: ENGINE ECV MAF MALFUNCTION
    2F08: INTAKE AIR TEMPERATURE SIGNAL

My Cars
    2001 525it
    If it's like others pcv systems BMW has the culprit is the rubber diagram that splits, I don't know if some one offers the valve, BMW does not you buy the valve cover,you would have to pop to plastic cover off to look, it's that round cover near the back.

My Cars
    2009 BMW 335i
    If your valve cover gasket is bad you will have an oil leak there. If you are hearing some release of pressure when you open the oil filler I would start with the PCV. That is designed to relieve the pressure in your crankcase. Just my $0.02 as a place to start.

My Cars
    2011 BMW 328i xDrive
    Quote Originally Posted by patton001 View Post
    If your valve cover gasket is bad you will have an oil leak there. If you are hearing some release of pressure when you open the oil filler I would start with the PCV. That is designed to relieve the pressure in your crankcase. Just my $0.02 as a place to start.
    So finally I was able to get the job done with limited success. Here is what I ended up doing: Replaced the valve cover with a Genuine BMW cover as well as the Eccentric Shaft Sensor (since it had oil all over it). In the process I also cleaned the Vanos Solenoids. Now when I start the car, the engine idles much better but throws the following codes using a cheap OBDII sensor from ebay: P052b, P300, P303, P304, P305 and P306 (engine misfires and camshaft sensor codes). The car drives pretty decent (big improvement from before) but the performance is throttled and car would not go over 60 mph.

What would be the next course of action? At this point I am ready to give up and take it to a shop, but am willing to put in a little more effort if there is something obvious I am missing. Thanks again for your help.