BAVToys

Thread: Condensation in Headlamp

My Cars
    2014 328i xdrive

Condensation in Headlamp

Hello there,

I have a 2014 328i with Bi-xenon lamps and have condensation accumulating in the drivers side headlamp only.

I guess this is a recurring problem with some models. Hard to believe a luxury vehicle maker can't figure out how to keep moisture out of their headlamps

Now my Halos are out because of a most likely ground short issue.

Short of investing in a whole new lighting assembly, what are my options for remedying this.
    Looks like i might have to replace the LED modules and possibly the Headlight Module and then get it all scanned and re-coded.

thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 0.jpg (67.7 KB, 5 views)

My Cars
    2009 BMW x5 3.0I
    I have the same problem on my 2009 x5. I just had the Xenon lights replaced and now I see condensation inside the lense after a couple days rain and scared to death they will burn from the moisture. I called the dealer, they said all they do is replace the entire assembly for $2700!

I don't need this, I just need my assembly to be resealed or put in a new gasket! Are their shops/mechanics that can do this? In Austin, Texas area? Please help Bimmer Forum! Has anyone ever heard of this repair avoiding a whole and totally unnecessary replacement?

Thanks in advance!

My Cars
    BMW M3
    same here, experiencing the same issue. i havent been able to find any shop that fixing this. ive been told the same with almost every shop ive called " best to replace the whole thing"

My Cars
    650i, E350
    Not that it will help prevent the problem, but I saw on Tims site a post about removing the moisture from the light housings. Maybe that will be a start, while waiting for a way to fix the leaking moisture.
    He has lots of great info there..... http://www.meeknet.co.uk/E64/Index.htm

My Cars
    E 34, E39
    Quote Originally Posted by ovsa View Post
    Hello there,

I have a 2014 328i with Bi-xenon lamps and have condensation accumulating in the drivers side headlamp only.

I guess this is a recurring problem with some models. Hard to believe a luxury vehicle maker can't figure out how to keep moisture out of their headlamps

Now my Halos are out because of a most likely ground short issue.

Short of investing in a whole new lighting assembly, what are my options for remedying this.
    Looks like i might have to replace the LED modules and possibly the Headlight Module and then get it all scanned and re-coded.

thanks
    Its mostly from the cover door or hatch above the headlight, its seal fails in time and allow humidity in, did it on my neighbour F10 2011, just switch on your car, in dust free place, or in garage with battery charger, switch on the headlights fully, open the hatch, let it be for 15_20min, untill all vapor out, put very thin seal silicon on the hatch rim, or if very tight, lithium grease will be enough.

had same problem on my e39 just today, i know its not same but same principle.

by the way, guys dont use heat guns on your f10 or f11 or new models, let it dry by it self, otherwise you may loose your light control chip.

here is my headlights hope you find it useful.

https://youtu.be/e6rMLW614bM

[IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181215
    Last edited by M 7; 12-15-2018 at 06:20 PM.