Thread: 1999 M3 E36 Convertible -Seat Covers??

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Convertible

1999 M3 E36 Convertible -Seat Covers??

I need to replace my Dove Gray seat covers - standard heated sport seat with extensions. Does anyone have real-life experience doing this?

I've looked at Autoberry and a company out of Ludlow Mass that I see on eBay. Both in the $800 range. Are there other suppliers worth looking at? Are there issues I should be aware of?

thank you for your input

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

pretty sure autoberry is the goto provider amongst this crowd

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    Yeah there aren't many quality options, aside from paying ridiculous money for something fully custom from a shop. Autoberry is the consensus for covers that look as OEM as possible and are relatively affordable. You'll probably still want an upholstery shop to help you fit the new covers (unless you have experience), since you may need to build up the old foam and/or adjust the new covers slightly to get a perfect fit.
    1999 M3/2/5 - Titanium Silver - Track/Weekend Toy

My Cars
    Prelude-328-M3-4Runner
    Earlier this year I purchased a sand beige set of sport seat covers from this website: http://autocustomleathers.com/id4.html Edit^ just realized this is the same company from Ludlow you mentioned.

I actually found them on Ebay as I think they were trying to get rid of some old stock and picked them up for $300 total out the door.

The color match is PERFECT, I don't know where they get their leather from but it was an identical match to BMW sand beige.

I DIY'd mine and am extremely happy with how they came out, and I am pretty particular. It was my first time recovering seats and I'm sure a professional upholsterer would have even better results.

I think it would be worth your time to call them. I dealt with a guy named Jerry Zalucki and was really impressed with the customer service.

These are the only pics I have off hand.

Last edited by CblockM3; 11-14-2018 at 12:19 PM.
    CBlock

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Convertible
    Quote Originally Posted by CblockM3 View Post
    Earlier this year I purchased a sand beige set of sport seat covers from this website: http://autocustomleathers.com/id4.html Edit^ just realized this is the same company from Ludlow you mentioned.

I actually found them on Ebay as I think they were trying to get rid of some old stock and picked them up for $300 total out the door.

The color match is PERFECT, I don't know where they get their leather from but it was an identical match to BMW sand beige.

I DIY'd mine and am extremely happy with how they came out, and I am pretty particular. It was my first time recovering seats and I'm sure a professional upholsterer would have even better results.

I think it would be worth your time to call them. I dealt with a guy named Jerry Zalucki and was really impressed with the customer service.

These are the only pics I have off hand.

Beautiful interior! Are those the original door panels also? If not, where did you go to replace them? Also. it appears you have a different setup of your center console...can you detail that? Finally, I love the emergency brake handle and matching shift knob. unfortunately I have an automatic and haven't been able to find a tasteful upgrade...any ideas. thanks

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Convertible
    Quote Originally Posted by TostitoBandito View Post
    Yeah there aren't many quality options, aside from paying ridiculous money for something fully custom from a shop. Autoberry is the consensus for covers that look as OEM as possible and are relatively affordable. You'll probably still want an upholstery shop to help you fit the new covers (unless you have experience), since you may need to build up the old foam and/or adjust the new covers slightly to get a perfect fit.
    I'm in palm desert area and carusos top shop (great reputation) played down autoberry quality saying he could do better with local suppliers who would guarantee the fit. Am I foolish to proceed blindly this way?

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by jprottas View Post
    I'm in palm desert area and carusos top shop (great reputation) played down autoberry quality saying he could do better with local suppliers who would guarantee the fit. Am I foolish to proceed blindly this way?

If the shop has a good reputation and will guarantee the quality/matching and fit, go for it. The tricky part is, unless you're replacing the whole interior, having the new covers match the old ones in terms of grain/texture/thickness as well as color. Just make sure they'll guarantee that as well as the fit.
    1999 M3/2/5 - Titanium Silver - Track/Weekend Toy

My Cars
    Prelude-328-M3-4Runner
    Quote Originally Posted by jprottas View Post
    Beautiful interior! Are those the original door panels also? If not, where did you go to replace them? Also. it appears you have a different setup of your center console...can you detail that? Finally, I love the emergency brake handle and matching shift knob. unfortunately I have an automatic and haven't been able to find a tasteful upgrade...any ideas. thanks

Thanks, appreciate it! The center console has an air-ride controller recessed into the ashtray, that's why it looks a little funny.

The door panels are stock sand beige, but I dyed them black several years ago.
    CBlock

My Cars
    99 E36 M3, 02 E39 M5
    FWIW, I'll never go with AutoBerry again. I used them on my 99 coupe project and the shop had to add so much padding to the front cushions to get them reasonably tight it's ridiculous. The leather is great, but the fit was about 5% too large. The back didn't match up at all; I ended up scrapping their rear upholstery and just buying used rear seats on eBay.