Bimmerforums Upgrade Garage The Tire Rack

Thread: F10 rear camber rhetoric...is this true?

My Cars
    2011 535i xDrive

F10 rear camber rhetoric...is this true?

Good morning everyone. I recently purchased my ‘11 F10 a few months ago. It was in pristine condition with 63k miles on the dash. Monday, my tire went flat while traveling on the NJ turnpike. I was able to make it to my destination in NYC however, I had to purchased a used tire to make it back to Philly. Ironically, I had ordered new tires for my rear last week.

The repairman said that I needed an alignment (see photo). A buddy of mines says that wear on the inner portion of tires are usually signs of a bad upper control arm and/or lower ball joints. I am by no means a mechanic but I do know a thing or two. I did some due diligence and found out that rear camber on quite a few BMW and Minis models are a known characteristic. The camber angle are set a bit negative to help the tire stay flat and better control when cornering. I’m just curious whether or not if this is true? Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    Yes, it's true. BMW sacrifices some tire wear for the sake of handling. All BMW's have negative camber in the rear. I would still recommend an alignment after you have the tires replaced. You could ask them to adjust them to a little less negative if you wish. I wouldn't have any issues adjusting to a customer's preference.
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician